Wiring diagram for 14ft jon boat questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chetoden

Reaction score
I have a diagram drawn up for wiring up a jon boat. I was wondering if someone can take a look at it and see if it will work or add any suggestions or comment on it. I didn't add the gauge for each wire on the diagram because it is already clustered. But I do have a gauge plan for each wire. My main questions would be the wiring with the battery selector switch and the trolling motor wire up. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• wiringboat.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 229
:WELCOME:
I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I do. Everyone on here is eager to help and share their knowledge. I hope you will share yours as well.

I looked at your wiring diagram. Nice and neat too, I might add. There are some wiring geniuses on here. I understand it, and have done some, but I can't help you with this one. Seems like to me you are trying to build a custom wiring harness. Is this correct? Are you having trouble figuring out if you need a jumper at the switch?

Perhaps one, or more, of those wiring geniuses on here will help you out.
Good luck!

Keith
Tyler, Texas

I guess what I'm not totally sure about is the boat switch and trolling motor wire up. I am wondering if the 4 position switch I plan to wire in would be wired correctly if I put the cranking battery to terminal 1, the deep cycle for the trolling motor to terminal 2, and the power to the fuse box (which power my accessories and lights) on the common terminal, and the outboard motor to the common terminal as well.

The other question I had was with the trolling motor wire up. I was wondering if I wired the TM plug directly to the deep cycle battery and not to the switch, would this work?

Then I just wanted someone with more knowledge than me to check over the diagram and make sure I ran everything correctly and did the negatives to the bud bar correctly.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate any information and help I can get.

I was just checking to see if perhaps someone has answered you. Sorry that one of those wiring geniuses has not.

You might try asking one. Just send them a PM asking if they would please look at your post and see if they can be of help.

I wish I could help you, but this is over my head. #-o

Search through the threads for electrical/wiring and see what some of those guys post. I'm telling you, these guys are a whiz. I bet they can wire in their sleep! :lol:

Good luck!

First of all, I don't have (or know much about) a battery switch, and I'm sure many on here may disagree, but with your setup I'm not sure why you really need one. What are you wanting it for?

I've got basically the same accessories that you show. For the nav lights, bilges, and fish finders: I ran positive from the cranking battery, to a circuit breaker (no more than 7" from battery), to fuse panel, to switch, to accessory. For grounds I added a negative buss bar like you show. Everything else I ran to the trolling motor (TM) battery the same way (battery, breaker, fuse panel, switch, accessory, with another negative buss up front). The thought here is that your "essentials" are on the cranker, and your "optionals" are on the TM (house) battery. You don't want to treat your cranking battery as a house battery, that way the cranker is always there to get you home. The fish finders, although optional, still go to the cranker because hooking them up to the same battery as the TM may cause interference when it's on.

On your diagram, you don't show circuit breakers between the battery and the fuse panel, so you don't have any protection for that run. And I'm not exactly sure how you're running only one wire between the fuse panel and the switch box, but I don't know what kind of switch box it is and that might be fine. Your TM ground should be directly to the TM battery, not the buss. You might want to wire your bilge up so that it's both float and manual via a switch, and you could save a slot on your switch box by putting your nav lights on a DPDT (on/off/on) switch.

Hope this helps.

RR

Latest posts