Lowe 1648MV makeover (near complete)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabill

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm a long time looker, first time poster. I picked up this late 80's boat and Classic Fifty Merc w/power trim and new tuneup last summer for $2500. May have paid too much but it was near exact what I was looking for in anticipation of next years retirement. I totally disassembled the trailer and spent a month or two sand blasting, applied two coats of Rustoleum primer and two coats of tractor/implement paint I got from Tractor Supply. Installed new bearings, led lights, winch strap, trailer coupling and rollers. With my Dad's help I made new bunk boards and side guide boards from cedar and covered with carpet I got from Bass Boat Carpet. The existing tires had new tread but sidewalls were dry rotting and the wheels were mismatched. I ordered new wheels and got new tires mounted where I have all my auto work done. Sand blasted and painted the best matching old wheel for a spare. Trailer done, but then cold weather set in. Finally got going again a couple weeks ago with some 1 1/2 aluminum angle for a deck frame and floor support. I plan to use 3/4 plywood with several coats of spar varnish and cover with same carpet. Comments and certainly suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7,670
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 7,670
Here's a few more pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 7,648
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7,648
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 7,648
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 7,648
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7,648
What thinkness of angle are you using? Trying to figure out a near future build and was thinking 1 1/2"x1/8" thick angle

I used 1 1/2 x 1/8 6061 which has a radius on the inside corner and legs. 6063 has no radius which would be easier to work with.

battery compartment minus screws. expandable to accomodate two batteries

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,542
Looks good man! Looking forward to seeing more pics. I'm about to start my mod thanks for the inspiration!

a couple pics from this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7,421
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 7,421
That's a good layout you have, your angle work looks like it'll support anything!

Thanks Justin. it's really sturdy, but it's been so time consuming. Angle is about $1.40 a foot so I only get one shot at it. I've got all my plywood fitted now, so on to the spar varnish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 7,292
Just got done finishing my bow.. should of used cardboard to mock up. I don't know why I didn't think of that! turned out ok though haha

Love your boat and work! Super job! Your trailer is really clean. =D>

I'm actually thinking of using your idea to extend my casting deck. What tools / rivets did you get to do the job angle aluminum work? Can you buy all the angle aluminum at Home Depot / Lowes?

I got my angle from a local metal supply place. 25' stick was about $35. It would very expensive at the big box places, plus the short lengths would cost you a lot of waste. Used 3/16 aluminum rivets. It took quite a few, so you'll need a two handled rivet tool to save a lot of work. The small ones with a rotating head come in handy in tight spots though.

front deck mock up before varnish and carpet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,193
1/4-20 T nuts for mounting trolling motor bracket and rear seat pedestal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,175

Latest posts