Tracker tournament txs build.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbalbano

Reaction score
My son and I have started our summer project. Pretty sure it's a tx 17, I haven't broken out the tape measure yet. We have owned the boat for 3 days and so far the tear down is going well. Picked it up for $400.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,317
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430508700.164982.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430508717.766474.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430508737.199249.jpg

This is what we are starting with. We are just drilling out rivets in order to remove all the foam that I'm sure is water logged. The boat has had several small repairs that will have to be redone. Overall I think it's a decent candidate for restoration.

Today was a productive day. Got all the foam out and have access to most of the stringers. Live well will be removed tomorrow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430620971.777975.jpglImageUploadedByTapatalk1430620993.490121.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621007.769277.jpg

The foam was tough to get out. Started out taking small chunks with a putty knife. Ended up using a flat shovel to remove large pieces. That did the trick, you can see the size difference in the pics. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621164.058190.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621182.880995.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621202.142440.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621222.610437.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621245.281209.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1430621263.902879.jpg

Howdy, Nice build you got going there. I am stoked I just found a 1988 Bass tracker tournament txs just like yours. No motor or trolling motor but I am getting it for $450 for the boat and trailer. I had one of these when I was young so it is cool getting another. A quick question, have you thought about possibly making a rod box for this boat? I will be traveling a lot of dirt roads so I want my nicer reels to be in a covered sealed area. Anyways, nice looking boat hope it turns out good.

Wow! It looks like you and I are at around the same stage in our respective tx-17 remediation. I have not started my build thread yet but have read through some others ventures that are completed and I am excited seeing how others are progressing concurrent. I am an engineer but on the computer science end of the spectrum so when this project landed in my lap (via my son) I was in unfamiliar territory but I have found a lot of confidence reading the tinboat forums!! Most notably derek

Attachments

• IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,207
jparrishbt said:
Howdy, Nice build you got going there. I am stoked I just found a 1988 Bass tracker tournament txs just like yours. No motor or trolling motor but I am getting it for $450 for the boat and trailer. I had one of these when I was young so it is cool getting another. A quick question, have you thought about possibly making a rod box for this boat? I will be traveling a lot of dirt roads so I want my nicer reels to be in a covered sealed area. Anyways, nice looking boat hope it turns out good.

I'm going to try to recreate the original rod holders. With slight modifications.

fooleyz7 said:
Wow! It looks like you and I are at around the same stage in our respective tx-17 remediation. I have not started my build thread yet but have read through some others ventures that are completed and I am excited seeing how others are progressing concurrent. I am an engineer but on the computer science end of the spectrum so when this project landed in my lap (via my son) I was in unfamiliar territory but I have found a lot of confidence reading the tinboat forums!! Most notably derek

Looks great. I have a friend coming this week to look at welding some of the aluminum. Haven't done much else this week.

I'm having trouble finding anyone to weld for me without breaking the bank. The bass tracker has a bunch of oxidation and several holes, one or two as large as a half dollar. Any suggestions?

I was debating filling with jb weld for most of it but I just don't have the confidence that it will hold. Has anyone used aluminum brazing with any success?

I would save up and have it done right. My boat, 88 pro 17, has 5 two inch holes from the previous owner drilling rod holders into them, and one right in the side of the boat. I am thinking of just riveting some aluminum plating on there to cover it up but in the end I am probably going to have them welded. I want it done right so I don't have to worry about it. Your build looks great. I am just behind you. I am stripping the decks right now. I have the front deck off and the back deck and compartments are off and currently being wire wheeled. Next I want to rip out all the flooring and console. Did you tear out all your wiring?

Latest posts