Need prop advice on my Ouachita 16 foot flattie

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Ran into a deal today on a Yamaha 20, 4 stroke for my Ouachita 16 foot flat bottom. Really clean motor with roughly 40 hours use on it. Looking forward to picking it up next week.
I am looking forward to using this boat in a local PA lake and some of the creeks and rivers off the Chesapeake Bay. Is anyone running a Yamaha 20 on their flat bottom jon? I think the stock prop is like 9.25 X 10

Kris, good find !!
if the motor does not come with a service manual, it is strongly recommended that you
find a shop repair manual so you can maintain it with the proper fluids and adjustments.
That is way too nice of a motor to mess up only because you missed something in maintaining it.

This is for all new boat owners....... breaking down far away from your landing is not fun.

Looking good so far, keep up the good work

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Kris, good find !!
if the motor does not come with a service manual, it is strongly recommended that you
find a shop repair manual so you can maintain it with the proper fluids and adjustments.
That is way too nice of a motor to mess up only because you missed something in maintaining it.

This is for all new boat owners....... breaking down far away from your landing is not fun.

Looking good so far, keep up the good work

Thanks John, I am an almost retired ex-auto mechanic. Been doing more teaching and managing over the past few years but still work on my personal family cars. I am going to ask what work they have done and what is Yamaha's maintenance recommendation. I maintained the outboards and inboards on all my previous flotilla. Gosh I love this stuff. Thanks again. Kris

I picked up the Yamaha today and waiting on an engine stand. They have done nothing to this motor because the exhaust hole in the prop isn't even discolored much. Compression was tested, run in a test tank and given a clean bill of health. Coolest thing I see on it is a salt/brackish water flush. Can't run the motor on it but it will flush the engine. Now I got to get that boat ready for the water.