Floatation advice for 14ft aluminum boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajuncook1

Reaction score

Hey guys, looking to make a modification to my 1982 14ft Monarch Modified Vhull boat. I want to remove the floatation foam out of the middle bench and use it for storage, but I don't want to sacrifice safety either. My aluminum boat is factory still.

- Is there a way to add floatation material to other areas of the boat to maintain safety? I am also going to add flooring to the bottom of the boat on top of the support ribs.

Thanks in advance for your advice and time.

cajuncook

Just some off the cuff "mathmatics", figure out how much foam you will be removing
from the seat (cubic inches). Then, put some thought into where to put that same amount
of cubic inches somewhere else.
If you put in a floor and deck, most people here say that more additional weight calls for the appropriate
increase of flotation foam.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Just some off the cuff "mathmatics", figure out how much foam you will be removing
from the seat (cubic inches). Then, put some thought into where to put that same amount
of cubic inches somewhere else.
If you put in a floor and deck, most people here say that more additional weight calls for the appropriate
increase of flotation foam.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Ahoy Cajun,

IMHO, Johnny has given you a solid two centavo deal.

If you decide to vacate the cavity, at least relocate
the flotation material, and more certainly would be wise if you are adding weight.

In an ideal world the flotation would be perfectly
balanced fore and aft, in such a way that the boat (even when swamped), will maintain high
and even sides. Of course this only works in a perfect world, but it does give an indication of
buoyancy even when flooded.

This is an awesome safety feature designed to make the difference
when things go wrong.

So, my tally is, you have Dos Centavos kindly given from Johnny,
and now i throw my hat in with him, giving you a total of
4 centavos. :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate your imput. I will add extra flotation material to counter the extra weight.

Cheers,

Cajuncook

Latest posts