Needing help!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

816MOfish

Reaction score
Im needing some opinions from everyone. I'm in the market of buying another boat, but I have some criteria. The reason for these specific needs is there is a local lake that is electric only and you have to be able to carry the boat to the water. Fishing is great from the bank so I would imagine fishing from a boat would be better. So I'm trying to decide what length and width of boat to get.

Needs:
-Fit in the bed of my truck.
-Able to put in the truck by myself and carry to the water to launch.
-Some sort stability when I stand to cast. Going to put a casting deck on.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

Alumacraft 1036 w/ a transom dolly. Alumacraft's transom joist is off-center, so it won't interfere with the dolly the same way a Tracker 1036 will.

Ditto to what both said, depending on which way you want to go. On small ponds I love the access and experience fishing out of my kayak. Smallies jumping out of the water at my level is just too cool!

I also find one tries to pack TOO much crap into a boat, LOL and that is contrary to your needs for access.

Both the yak and the tinny will do the job. A lot depends on your physical size; and how comfortable you are being close to the water.

The yak, equipped with a simple PVC roller, will be easy to drag to small launch places.

I have both. My 1648 Lowe tinny with a 50 hp motor feels like a yacht, compared to my 9 foot long Malibu Mini-X kayak.

The Mini-X only weighs 42 lbs, but you can easily add twice that weight in the seat (get a good one) and various fishing gear. If you are going to primarily fish out of it...many find that a SOT (sit-on-top) yak is better than a SINK (sit inside kayak).

I keep the tinny in TN and the yak in TX.

The main reason I bought that particular yak is that its tiny size fits INSIDE of my Toyota van. Yet, it supports my too large 250 lb., 75-year-old decrepit body. I have added a trolling motor to the yak to extend my range.

A small tinny would do the same things very well.

You can rent yaks at many sales locations. I suggest, if you are considering a yak, that you rent one before you buy one. They are not for everyone.

richg99

Thank you everyone for your input. I've tried a buddies yak and I wasn't comfortable fishing out of it. I've been trying to find a used 1236 jon boat. My reasoning is I think a 14 foot or bigger boat would be too long and anything wider then a 36 would be too awkward and heavy to handle getting in and out of the truck and water.

If you're not fishing rocky rivers most manufacturers make a lightweight 1236 and a standard weight 1236 - the difference being ~25lbs due to the thinner aluminum used in the lightweight models. You might want to find one of the lighter models as it will be easier to load/unload by yourself while still handling the same on the water.

Glad that you tried it before you bought it.

Where are you? I discovered a local selling site here in Eastern TN. that had a lot of boats. If you post where you are, perhaps someone else can help with the search for a 1236 boat.

regards, richg99

Have you given any thought to a Pond Prowler or Sun Dolphin type boat? Maybe even the inflatable pontoon's that have metal tube frames and seats. Most of those little kits seem to do well with just a trolling motor and can seat two people.

The Sun Dolphins row boat has a bench in the middle and is stable enough to stand up in. That one can also take a small outboard like a 5 hp or so.

I'd look more at kayaks. They're great for that stuff. We have ponds you have to walk hundreds of yards to fish or hunt that are huge and so private bc of that. Definitely can't beat the accessibility and ease of one

This wouldn't work for my needs but it seems like a cool little package. Maybe something to consider?
[youtube]cHR74wXVuus[/youtube]

Sounds custom designed for your needs imo.

Abraham said:
This wouldn't work for my needs but it seems like a cool little package. Maybe something to consider?
[youtube]cHR74wXVuus[/youtube]

Sounds custom designed for your needs imo.

If anybody gets one of these, please don't tie up the boat ramp the way the guy in this video does. I noticed how fighting the fish makes the thing go in circles too but everything has it's place. Probably one of those little pond prowlers or something like that would be better.
Tim

Pond prowler is the way to go. I have the 8' version, and made a little deck for the front that my tacklebox slides under on one side, and has a small hatch that I usually put my cooler bag into on the other. It's stable enough for me and my buddy to fish from no problem. Light enough that I can carry it by myself to and from my truck.

20150410_134649.jpg

I would get ya a Tracker topper 1436. Great little boats. I also would go with the 12ft model. I just sold one and they are great little boats. I would get one of those two. Get a set of rolling wheels so you can transport. Make a removable deck. I attached mine with Velcro so when I didn't want it, I just set it in the garage. Doesn't need to be a tracker I was just making a reference to what kind of boat. I would stay away from Vhulls. Jons are more stable IMO.

FLbassBLASTER said:
Pond prowler is the way to go. I have the 8' version, and made a little deck for the front that my tacklebox slides under on one side, and has a small hatch that I usually put my cooler bag into on the other. It's stable enough for me and my buddy to fish from no problem. Light enough that I can carry it by myself to and from my truck.

Beautiful, even works upside down, now that is a good boat. Even if it ain't tin and full of rivets (or as a buddy says, 900 moving parts).
Tim

Thanks everyone for the input. After searching on Craigslist for awhile I picked up a Bass Pro pond prowler for pretty cheap. 2002 model barely used, came with the title, 2 seats, and a trolling motor all for $250.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 224
sounds more like you stole it! nice find. I've wanted one of those to leave behind my house on the river, just haven't found one in CT for a good price.