Fritz's 1968 14' StarCraft Falcon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master-deBaiter

Reaction score
I picked up this boat, motor, and trailer from Craigslist for $300. Also included was a Big John transom bar for trolling. I quickly sold the transom bar for $200 on Craigslist. So I only have $100 invested into this boat, motor, and trailer...I still find it hard to believe, myself. I'm thinking of selling the motor and controls for $100.

Anyone know the way to fix dents in the sides of aluminum boats?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3,256
How bad are the dents? Lets see some pictures of them.
In case you don't know what you have it's a 1968 StarCraft Falcon. I have the same boat.

If the motor runs(even if it doesnt), I think your undervalueing it. Do you know what your going to use on this boat?
Good luck with your project, nice start.

For the past few years I've fished with a tiller motor and grown to like having an open layout. I'm aware the 35hp Johnson is worth more than $100 (I see people selling the controls alone for $85 on CL). I was fishing last night before I started this thread and started to rethink letting go of the 35hp. I plan to duck hunt with the Starcraft on the Bay of Green Bay, WI... So, I'm going to have it loaded with decoys & hunters and will probably need those extra ponies - giddy up! I have no idea how much work the motor needs. To keep me moving in the meantime, I bought a 25hp Evinrude. I don't know how this motor will push once loaded down.

I think if I kept the steering wheel and controls, I'd have to model my layout after SmackDaddy's Pole Dancer. It's hard to believe how his boat is only 14'

I'm going to lay a small block of wood against the dent and take a few swings at it.

This website is too cool. I seriously spend all my free time on it.
Thanks everyone for making it what it is.

Didn't have much time to play with the boat before work today; but, I did get her down to a blank canvas..

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 3,156
Here are some more pictures of the dent:

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,155
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 3,155
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 3,155
Take the side channel off and the dent will just about fix its self. Then you just have to straighten the channel.
A lot of the old Starcrafts have cracks in the hull near the ends of the ribs. Check very closely as the they will need to be fixed by riveting a patch on.
My Falcon came from the Green Bay area.

I would fix the 35 and use it.. You can most likely use the handle and needed controls from that 25 'rude and they might have a spot to bolt up on the 35. Also adding a start and stop buttons ( assuming the 35 is E-start) is not a big deal.

That boat has a lot of potential if you build it for what you need, and so far not a lot of money invested.

Master-deBaiter said:
Here are some more pictures of the dent:

I'm a little concerned about the middle picture - is the aluminum actually torn inside along the fold? If not then, yeah, you can hammer it out. I would also look at how the gunwale is attached to the top of the hull somewhere else - if its welded, then once you get everything abnge dout you need to clean the joint and get it welded too for strength.

those little forward cockpit boats with windshields are fairly cool from my perspective - and you should probably think about recovering the froward frames for a storage locker if you take off the forward controls for good. I wouldn't use that frame for anything you want to stand on . . . so no casting deck unless you lower it.

Will you do a back bench for the tiller drive, or install a floor and seat?

I don't think it's torn on the inside; I'm not home right now so I can't take a look. I think, from picture deception, that is actually where the old steering controls rubbed along the hull and "burned" the rubber coating off the SS cable.
I'm planning on building a front casting deck, side rod lockers, and seat "pods" in the back...I don't know about a bench in the back. I've seen some previous remodels turn out really, really cool. I'm definitely using the archives as guides.

Here's what happened once I started removing the trim channel:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,097
I forgot to answer about the floor.. I'm definitely putting a floor in.
I will be using aluminum to do my framing.. Someone from work wrecked an aluminum shelf so I was told to throw it away. There was one bent corner post on the shelving but all the other parts are in mint condition. I'll try and post a picture of the shelving later today. I also picked up some unique pieces of aluminum from the metal scrap yard - I'll try and post those pics later too.

I finished removing the trim channel and pounded on the dent a bit. It's not perfect, but I'm almost satisfied with the result.
I also managed to remove the transom despite getting rained on here and there.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,084
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 3,084
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,084
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,084
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 3,084
Years ago I was given a Starcraft runabout that I converted into a bass boat. Removed that big aluminum nose like you did. I put a completely flat floor in the boat, two bell pedestals, cooler livewell between them and hung a 40 horse tiller Mariner on the back. Also added a small deck at the bow for lights, anchor and trolling motor. Great little boat. Sold it to get my first Ranger.

The original stringer is 8' long 1.5" tall at the rear and 4.5" tall at the front. I've seen replacements made from 1.5" aluminum angle riveted together.

I still have the original stringer; I just took it out to give her a thorough cleaning.

I haven't tried to straighten the channel yet. I think with some patience and frustration, I should be able to coax it :wink:

I have to do some vehicle shopping today so I might not have time to do much.

Latest posts