Tinnies 16 crestliner project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liltinny

Reaction score
Just getting started on my restore of a 16 foot crestliner that I traded my Xbox one for a year ago finally getting started.I got all leaking rivets today and wire wheeled off paint at the missing rivets just waiting for Friday, the fastenal in Detroit lakes will have my closed end rivets then on to prepping for paint it was a job getting all the old registrations off the boat had some from 1977 I've got most of the things to do it but I'm stuck on getting it flipped over by myself.

I got just a few questions for any one peeking in on the bottom of the boat someone tried to retighten the old solid rivets and broke off a piece about the size of a quarter of the bottom outer rib will this be ok once I pop a rivet in?
Also I got a sanding pad for my angle grinder and got the deeper dings and scratches out of my gunwale what grit sand paper should I go with to smooth it back babies bottom smooth and do I have to put anything one it to keep it from oxidizing I have heard bare aluminum oxidizes quickly anyway I'm going out to take some pictures to really get this thing going.

Full boat picture
20150526_130553.jpg
Do you think this will fix small spider crack I'm gonna sand smooth and rivet then primer and paint
20150526_130608.jpg
20150526_130633.jpg
This is the broken rib what should I do?
20150526_130834.jpg
Motor needs lower unit and paint
20150526_130652.jpg
After sanding gunwale
20150526_130717.jpg
This is broken below bench should I just use wood to replace those?
20150526_130809.jpg
20150526_130749.jpg

I got the trailer stripped down 20150526_180358.jpg
I got a question what are these inserts called and also any answer on my rivet question here's the piece I'm wondering what the plastic or rubber inserts are called
20150526_180411.jpg
Its in the holes on the leaf springs
20150526_180404.jpg

fatboyadams said:
liltinny said:
fatboyadams said:
That would be leaf spring bushings.
Looks like water hose is what the previous owner had in there is there a size they come or universal size?
You would have to measure the old bushings/hole then find new ones. I would also get new bolts.

Well almost every bolt broke in two when I was taking them off so replacing bolts is a must is there a good rust covered or inhibitor that you or anyone can recommend really don't have the money for sand blasting and I don't won't my paint job gone in a year and also what is a bearing buddy I hear everyone talking about? Also do I need to paint before bolting it together or after do the bolts need to be paint not to rust? I really appreciate your help and time thanks. LT
Ps hey fatboyadams we joined tinboats a year apart almost the exact day ironic

CMOS said:
35 ponies will move that boat along very nicely.

Nice project.

CMOS

It's only a 25 horse but need lower unit fixed or a rebuilt one I found one in Hackensack mn for 300 rebuilt gotta get trailer pressure washed then rust reformer by rustoleum then paint and new bushings still got figure out best thing for the motor paint or not seems like more work to paint motor than trailer and boat. Thanks for stopping in though

LT

liltinny said:
So I don't need to paint the bolts after reassembling?
Any help on the broken rib?

Unless you are running in Salt Water, no, I see not need to paint the new bolts.

Broken rib: I would place a couple new rivets on both sides of that chunk that is missing, then smooth out the rough edges of the chunk with - automotive Bondo. I did this on mine and it worked great.

CMOS

liltinny said:
Quick question everyone, do I need to spray etch primer before I fix spots in my hull with jb weld water weld (just some scars)?

No. Sand down to bare metal, apply JB. Cure. Primer over JB.

CMOS

Hey everyone got a quick question will a 70s model 25 hp Evinrude push me faster than a late 90s early 2000s 15 hp motor?
I'm looking for a newer motor but it's hard to decide I can get the same motor I have for 500$ but a newer by 20 years for 1200 what should I do?

Ps got alot done on the boat pictures and update in a couple days

liltinny said:
Hey everyone got a quick question will a 70s model 25 hp Evinrude push me faster than a late 90s early 2000s 15 hp motor?
I'm looking for a newer motor but it's hard to decide I can get the same motor I have for 500$ but a newer by 20 years for 1200 what should I do?

Ps got alot done on the boat pictures and update in a couple days

My opinion: Unless the 70's model is a 77 or later (electronic ignition = no points), I would got for the newer motor. Get the exact model number of the 70's motor and Google it to see the year of manufacture.

Good luck!

CMOS

Latest posts