Stolen, stripped, recovered...FINISHED.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18775

Reaction score
NG here. Bought my Crestline Fish hawk 1600 SC brand new in 1999. It has been a great boat and used often. The last couple of years fishing took a back seat due some family health issues but I was prepping the boat for some bass fishing.
Then the thieves struck. Cops recovered it, stripped. Motor, steering, console, seat bases, batteries, sonars, trolling motor, lights hull fittingd and wiring...gone.
Insurance is not a bad number, but won't cover professional refit.
We have a hull, decks and a trailer. After a week of looking it over, it will be rebuilt as a tiller boat. Step one is plugging 3 through hull fittings for the live well that never worked anyway. I think it will become a tackle box.
Questions may pop up from time to time, and I will try to post my progress here. Goal...fishing (maybe electric motor only) by April 2016.

Welcome!
Sorry to hear that some low lives stole from you; BUT, now the fun begins!!!
Post away on progress and any questions, plenty of knowledge on here.

Not a ton of damage, just every accessory taken.
To steal the controls they did damage the corner box.
20150526_192620_zpseqlxbmkw.jpeg

I had to board up a couple of spots to keep the neighbor's feral cats out of it. Pretty much a blank slate. Even took seat bases.
20150526_192637_zps2afcuqhv.jpeg

Good choice on the tiller. I like the tiller usage to keep the rest of the deck area open and clear.

CMOS

Started with installing new thru-hull fittings where the livewell fittings were. Yep, Mr. Thief even messed with those.

20150607_112338_zpsmlu0scfx.jpg

I pulled the deadwell and finally figured out why it didn't drain correctly from the beginning. The installer put the drain elbow facing forward, and then pulled the hose tight. Factory installed kink.

20150526_192103_zpscnpec88p.jpg

After pulling the deadwell, I reinforced the step with some scrap teak. I will probably glass the wood. Now, after 15 years of not using the deadwell, there is a decision. #1 - Replumb and rewire it correctly. #2 - Don't replumb it, and use the box as storage. #3 - toss the well, and build custom storage.

20150607_112440_zpsef3wrrnv.jpg

The only things not stolen were the decks themselves, the live well tub, and the plug for my stern light. The plug for the bow light was attached with screws, so it disappeared. Stern light plug was pop-rivet, and the thieves must not had a small enough drill bit. So they cut the wires about 2 inches from the plug.

If I abandon the deadwell I am planning to loop a hose from thru-hull to thru-hull. I will probably do that as a temporary measure anyway.

My second idea it to plug the fitting with some acrylic rod and 3M goop.

We decided to start with a bit of late security. Hate to lose it again. So a fence extension and a double gate to create a little boat yard.

20150618_195050_zpsjpynqbpx.jpg

I used to always be nervous about that when I lived down in Norfolk. My rig wasn't nearly that nice but I still didn't want it stolen. Good luck with your build and keep us updated!

I decided to start with the damaged bulkhead. It looked like the theives used clawhammers to open it up to remove the remote steering.
20150526_192620_zpseqlxbmkw.jpeg

Since the plan is for a tiller boat, that corner is getting an overhaul. Bodywork and patches are temporarily installed, and the deck is mocked up for the corner and switches. This will be skinned with aluminum plate and painted.

20150719_113952_zpsb6ckzy4l.jpg

Wow...
I'm shocked that they even took the seat bases. Karma will get them in the end. :twisted:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located in the US?

Doc Arroyo said:
We decided to start with a bit of late security. Hate to lose it again. So a fence extension and a double gate to create a little boat yard.

20150618_195050_zpsjpynqbpx.jpg

That is some nice work right there!

Lighting, wiring and switch panel...DONE.
Deadwell...GONE.
Decks around deadwell, refurbished.
Next on list, new hatches and floor to create tackle storage where the deadwell used to be.
20150803_211254_zpshil1td7s.jpg

20150907_101609_zpsqklbp0ji.jpg

Latest posts