UNK year/model Starcraft 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jggassert

Reaction score
No idea what model or year this is, title has it as a 1900 Starcraft which is generic of course. Picked it up for a couple hundred bucks, with all necessary documents.

Trailer is solid but needs to be wire brushed and repainted, new lights, new wheels/tires, and new
fenders.

Engine is a 25 hp Gale and very clean having been stored inside. It has evinrude simplex controls, which I will post pics of later. I definitely have questions regarding these controls because I have zero experience with vintage engine controls.

This is my second vintage tin boat that I'll be working on. I cut my teeth on a 1960’s Aerocraft 12' that has been quit solid. I just wanted something a little bigger and more stable for fishing.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Phase 1- trailer restoration
Phase 2- leak test, engine testing
Phase 3- strip, prime, paint
Phase 4- deck, steering console, and storage install
Phase 5- second guess entire design, cry over costs incurred, drink heavily
Phase 6- harden the ?&$! up and get her registered and catch some fish

Looking forward to sharing this project with the group. Doing this on my iPad, hope no one breaks their neck looking at the second photo.

The layout that you posted looks a lot like the FM146 Sea Nymph that I had a number of years back. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Attachments

• FM146 b.jpg
    FM146 b.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,275
  • FM146 c.jpg
    FM146 c.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,275
I have operated several modern boats over the years, so i'll admit that I am a bit confused by the controls here. I get that there is most likely a throttle control and probably a forward/reverse lever. If I'm off target let me know. What I am unsure of is the little knobs on the top and the front of the unit itself. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434341330.379759.jpg

jggassert said:
I have operated several modern boats over the years, so i'll admit that I am a bit confused by the controls here. I get that there is most likely a throttle control and probably a forward/reverse lever. If I'm off target let me know. What I am unsure of is the little knobs on the top and the front of the unit itself. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

You have the levers right - well what they are used for anyway. I've driven a number of Evinrude/OMC boats over the years - never seen those knobs. One might an electric choke - probably the one on the front. More photos would help.

Those other knobs are for adding or reducing friction, i.e., so that the throttle stays at the setting selected. Some do prefer, say like if kids run the boat, to have the throttle so that it would back off ...

DaleH said:
Those other knobs are for adding or reducing friction, i.e., so that the throttle stays at the setting selected. Some do prefer, say like if kids run the boat, to have the throttle so that it would back off ...

Okay, that makes sense because they are tough to turn so it wouldnt make sense to be a choke or anything else. I will have to disassemble the unit and clean and lubricate everything and make sure all the cables are tensioned correctly.

Thank you

I am now assuming that this is a Seafarer, just based on what I've seen in other threads. Does anyone have an intact hull plate that they wouldn't mind sharing a picture of? Mine is too far gone to make any sense of it, and I want to stay legal and get another one made up.