89 Tracker Tournament V17: Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Rivers

Reaction score
Hello all.
Posting here hoping somebody has some experience with this boat?
1989 Tracker Tournament V17.
I picked up the boat last November. The previous owner was ready to scrap the boat. He told me that the boat leaked, it had a bad transom and the motor (70 hp Johnson two stroke) wouldn't start.
The boat came with a good trailer.
I got the motor sorted out last fall, removed it from the boat and went over it this past winter.
Got the old transom out and saved enough of it to make a template. Cut the new transom from some marine ply and sealed it with epoxy, all good.
Found a large leak in the bow area. Crack in the channel and many loose rivets all caked over with silicone. No problem easy fix.
Replaced transom. Cleaned up area where it's leaking getting ready to fix the rivets and crack in the bow. Rinsed area out with water and noticed that it wasn't draining out the rear bilge area?
Started lifting up wood panels to discover mice activity caused the minute drain holes to block.
Opened drain holes back to the area where the rear deck is all aluminum. Drain is still blocked under rear deck and it seems like the whole rear deck area needs to be removed to get at the drain problem?
I've searched for ideas since getting this boat but can't seem to find anyone who's successfully completed a similar project? Anybody out there?
I've bumped into a few threads that end the demolition stage before getting to the rear deck.
If anybody has any tips for removal please share.
Also, seems that the foam in the rear is structural? Once the foam is removed I'd like to figure out how to re-frame the rear deck in a way that's still light weight, safe, and allow access to the plumbing. Currently there is no access to the live well and bilge plumbing.
Now considering the wisdom that the previous owner displayed when wanting to scrap the boat.
Any and all opinions and ideas appreciated.
thanks
rob

Attachments

• P6250928.JPG
    P6250928.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,409
  • P6250924.JPG
    P6250924.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,408
  • P8260001.JPG
    P8260001.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,408
you may be able to snake out the drain from the transom side, or blow it out with an air compressor blowing back toward the front. Tearing that rear deck apart is going to be a major project, it looks to be riveted to both the bottom and the sides of the boat right?

I don't know about a plumbing snake, probably have better luck with a wire snake...

I would rip out the whole interior and start from the bottom, unless you just want to get on the water asap. These boats have a lot of foam in them that gets water logged and heavy...

Thanks to all who responded. I've been away for a while and I'm just reading your posts.
To give an update:
I tried the snake routine, it didn't work.
Tried compressed air, it didn't work.
Tried a jet of water from a power washer, it didn't work.
Ended up tearing the whole rear end off. Hundreds of rivets, poured in foam, metal riveted and glued to poured in foam.
What a mess?
This boat never had a chance. The drain holes from bow to stern are less than the size of a dime.
One baffle was blocked by a pile of coins that dropped from the PO's pocket.
The rest of the baffles were plugged with dirt and small pieces of foam.
I spent a couple hours cleaning the stripped out hull and it's still needs some more cleaning.
All stripped out and with the new transom the boat looks like it has potential?
It will need a complete re-design to include proper flotation as it will never be re-assembled the way it came from Tracker. (Open to ideas)
I really don't want to work on it all summer as I have little time to enjoy my two running boats.
Seems like a potential winter project but I'm limited for garage space.
The 70 Johnson is sitting in my basement ready to go.
The trailer for the Tracker is better than my trailer for the SeaNymph so I'll try to switch them out.
I'm a little disappointed with what I found but not totally surprised.
Thanks again.
rob

Two Rivers said:
Thanks to all who responded. I've been away for a while and I'm just reading your posts.
To give an update:
I tried the snake routine, it didn't work.
Tried compressed air, it didn't work.
Tried a jet of water from a power washer, it didn't work.
Ended up tearing the whole rear end off. Hundreds of rivets, poured in foam, metal riveted and glued to poured in foam.
What a mess?
This boat never had a chance. The drain holes from bow to stern are less than the size of a dime.
One baffle was blocked by a pile of coins that dropped from the PO's pocket.
The rest of the baffles were plugged with dirt and small pieces of foam.
I spent a couple hours cleaning the stripped out hull and it's still needs some more cleaning.
All stripped out and with the new transom the boat looks like it has potential?
It will need a complete re-design to include proper flotation as it will never be re-assembled the way it came from Tracker. (Open to ideas)
I really don't want to work on it all summer as I have little time to enjoy my two running boats.
Seems like a potential winter project but I'm limited for garage space.
The 70 Johnson is sitting in my basement ready to go.
The trailer for the Tracker is better than my trailer for the SeaNymph so I'll try to switch them out.
I'm a little disappointed with what I found but not totally surprised.
Thanks again.
rob

Yeah they are definitely a mess. Only built to please the eye on the outside for so many years, lol...