1960 Alumacraft Deep C

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, another one right, lol. We'll after seeing this awesome boat on CL about 3 hours away, I had to have her. Over paid for her a little bit at 600 bones for the boat and trailer, but hey I know it was no steal but I wanted it and you don't find too many of them in these parts.

I use to have a 1950's model Alumacraft a few years ago and loved it. Alas I had to get rid of it and it has been one of the possessions that to this day regret doing it. It was stable on the water and awesome to fish out of.

So here is the new vessel. They are like tanks.

Not sure which way I want to go with paint. I've read a lot about steel flex on here, but may just go with rustoleum.

The boat had probly 50-75 screw holes all over the vessel, I had to take it to a weld shop to have the. All welded up. All were above the water line and I did not want to use jb weld. So I'm open to paint ideas. Thank you guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3,177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,177
No going with a tiller motor. Most likely a font deck, maybe some storage. Then a couple seats, the seats that were there were trash, but the mounts and brackets are good.

Paint is first and some work on the trailer. Trailer is in good shape though, going to set it up for drifting for blue cat and crappie fishing.

Will keep pictures a coming. Love this site.

The Open C didn't have any bow decking, same hull.

Are you sure yours is a Deep C?

I love my deep C and will be preserving it as is.

Yesum, deep c is what is on the tag that was on the transom. Got the interior scuffed up yesterday and ready for primer.

Did not get to prime it today, it was raining a little so decided not to prime it today. Maybe tomorrow. I will definitely keep plenty of pictures as it comes along.

I'm stuck on deciding on paint for the exterior hull, leaning towards just rustoleum over a good primer. I have been thinking about getting a decent paint gun, but I may not use it enough to purchase a decent gun. Thoughts on this?

Thank you

Slayer, you can get a smooth mirror finish on just about any metal surface with a little
pre-prep, correct primer and Rust-Oleum or Tractor Supply enamel paints
with just the normal house painters paint brushes. Just follow the instructions
on the labels, try not to paint in the heat of the day in full sun, a little thinner
and you will have very satisfactory results.

How to paint your boat = https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38237
All about Primers = https://www.tinboats.net/primer-and-paint-basics/

CrappieSlayer36 said:
Yesum, deep c is what is on the tag that was on the transom. Got the interior scuffed up yesterday and ready for primer.

Did not get to prime it today, it was raining a little so decided not to prime it today. Maybe tomorrow. I will definitely keep plenty of pictures as it comes along.

I'm stuck on deciding on paint for the exterior hull, leaning towards just rustoleum over a good primer. I have been thinking about getting a decent paint gun, but I may not use it enough to purchase a decent gun. Thoughts on this?

Thank you

I'm curious as to why you would paint an aluminum boat.

Does it improve the fishing?

I admit it would look nice all polished up, but I painted the last one and it looked great. Honestly just would like to paint it.

I think it will look nice, I have seen other similar craft painted and they look great. I think it will look awesome painted.

VinTin said:
The Open C didn't have any bow decking, same hull.

Are you sure yours is a Deep C?

I love my deep C and will be preserving it as is.

The bow cover was optional on the Deep C, at least in 1958

Nice! Very Nice! Congrats! =D>

Barefoot Johnny is telling you right on the painting part. He knows! 8)
(Check out his link that is published. Lots of good info in it.)

She would look awesome all polished up and shiny. But, I too have seen some that are painted and look really nice. I'll be watching to see what you do with her. Again, congrats on your new, old gal! :D

M
Tyler, Texas

Finally got around to painting the boat, we have a remodel going on at the house so my time has been spent, trying to keep the grass cut, working on the remodel and trying to get the boat ready for fall fishing here in Oklahoma.

I used rustoleum, thinned down per the instructions for spraying, and some hardener from tractor supply in the paint isle. The first time I painted it, it looked like hammered dog mess, but I finally got the color of paint I wanted and included the hardener this time around and it came out alright.

Unfortunately I did not have an indoor area to paint in so I had to paint it outside. I added a little bit of blue and black to some stock light grey and came up with something I am happy with. It dried like a sheet of glass and should look really nice with some vintage Alumacraft decals on it when I am done. I also did some swapping for another tinny with a motor on it that I wanted for my boat. The new boat is a 1965 Mirro craft 14 footer with a 1975 evinrude 25hp on it. I traded for it mainly for the motor, the motor should push the alumacraft along pretty good? Any thoughts on that motor for my boat. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on to the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,820
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,820
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,820
Got the trailer rollers and bunks replaced today, and got the boat back on the trailer. Having a tractor with a loader and some big straps really helps things along, lol.

But here is a pic of her back on the trailer. I am sure the trailer would look nice re painted, but maybe some day. I want it functional right now, so maybe next year I will redo the trailer. Thanks for all the awesome comments and compliments.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,772
I'm south of Tulsa by about half an hour or so. Close to some great fishing all over the state. I'm rigging her up for catfish and crappie fishing. I am hoping to get her in the water for the fall crappie bite on Eufaula. Nothing is more fun than filling up a cooler with some big ole slabs. Eating them is even better, lol.

I like drifting for big blues on keystone and Eufaula also. Sorry about the rant, lol. I am just excited to have my own boat and getting it on the water.

I went and looked at fish finders today and there is a lot to choose from. Again thanks for all the comments and helpful hints fellow tin lovers.

I used an ingersol sprayer. The sprayer worked ok, it was a learning curve for sure, I have never used a sprayer before so I practiced on an old piece of chimney pipe for a little while before I attempted to paint the boat.

I used rustoleum enamel. I could not find the color I wanted. I was going for kind of a smokey blue color. So I got one gallon of light grey and a tiny can of dark blue and black. Mixed in the whole tiny can of blue paint and about a half cup of the black.

Sorry I cant remember if it was a pint or a quart. I purchased a container of hardener catalyst that was for a whole gallon of paint. I used 8 oz of mineral spirits to 16 oz of paint. It worked out well and I am happy with the final paint job.

If you guys have anymore questions I will do the best I can do to answer any questions, I am not a painter, but can try to explain how I did it better if you like. I mainly read the directions and took advice from folks on here. Lots of great information on here.

Today I hope to get a couple of coats of water sealer on the transom board and hope to get at least a half dozen or so on there before I put it back onto the back of the boat.

I need to find a good place with a good selection of stainless hardware. Most big box places have a limited selection.

I also did some work on the motor the other day. I replaced both coils, new prop, new water impeller and had to adjust the lean rich screw, it was screwed almost all the way out and it took me a little while to figure out that was why it was running like crap.

everyone have a great weekend and go catch some fish.

Latest posts