1957 Starcraft Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr2820

Reaction score
First time poster here. I bought a 1957 Starcraft yesterday that one of the previous owners tried to convert into a bass type boat. They did a VERY poor job of it, so I am planning on gutting the entire boat and starting from scratch. This site has been awesome for getting ideas for the build. I will keep y'all updated.

Welcome aboard to TinBoats!

You passed Test #1 .... you bought a tin boat!

However, I regretfully opine you failed Test #2, in that ...

:p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,931
A couple of pics. The 1st one is when I brought it home. The second is early in the gutting process. The PO used 2x6's to frame the casting deck! #-o

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,921
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,921
Most paints are 400sf per gallon. 100sf per quart.

so, look up the coating you want to use [Gluvit] and
it should tell you on the label as to how many square feet
to expect from a quart. Then, go measure the portions of your
boat that you want to paint and figure the square footage.
Give or take 10% for your brushing skills, double coated areas, waste, etc etc etc.

and no matter which specific coating you choose,
read, understand and follow the suggested application methods
as well as observing all the safety concerns.

You only use the Gluvit on the seams and rivets. You don't coat the entire hull. 1 quart is more than enough for the size of your boat.

I spent this weekend working on the trailer. New axle, hubs, and bearings. Rewired the entire trailer and installed new waterproof lights. New jack, chains, and coupler. My next 3 weekends are full, so it will be a while before I can get back at it. The boat is totally gutted at this point. I plan on stripping the hull of all paint and prepping to repaint it. Stay tuned.

I am considering removing the gunwales on this boat an replacing them with wood ones. Since this boat once had an enclosed bow, and the PO simply hacked an opening for the deck, the gunwales look like junk. What are the pros and cons? Better yet, any ideas about "cleaning up" the current gunwales? You can make out what I am referring to in the pics posted above. Any ideas?

tough choices there, maybe trace and cut a smooth line to compliment the bow more if your leaving the open deck, then use something to/or have a shop make you a lip to cover the cut you do? Or fab a lip out of wood? there seems to be a few options but its more of a "personal preference" type area.

Progress.
I have decided to make wood gunwales. I have seen a couple of builds on here that have done the same thing.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,533
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,533
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,533
Filled all the "extra" holes in the transom with Alumaweld yesterday. I have some pitting because it appears the PO used treated wood for the transom. It doesn't appear to be too deep. Should I be concerned? Is there something I should do to treat or repair this area?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,459
Im no pro on that stuff, But what I would do (did on mine) is get the whole transom area clean. Give it a good wash with vinegar/water mix and rinse it. wipe down with acetone and plug them holes in with j/b weld. then at a minimum prime with self etching primer. ( I would paint also ).

Progress from this weekend.

This boat has a splash well, but it does not have any sort of drain for the well. Should it? It would seem as though it should.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 1564.jpg
    1564.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,426
More progress.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 319
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 319
  • photo 3-1.jpg
    photo 3-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 319
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 319
The gunwales are looking great man! Its such a classic look and really sets of the look of a build. Keep it up!

Latest posts