Bow deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 16' Crestliner deep v.I am putting a deck in the bow.Should I bevel the ply wood to conform to angle of the vee?i really don't have much structure to anchor the decking,except for the angle where the front seat was.Most boats have ribs or something along the sides,mine doesn't have anything but smooth sides.
So I have to be creative and not waste any space or material :roll:

Bevel is a must.
But a pain in the *** lol.
Take a look at my build. Link should be in my signature.
Using the same angle that held the bench, L brackets, and some steel bracing, my front deck is SOLID.

Vader said: Most boats have ribs or something along the sides, mine doesn't have anything but smooth sides

Vader, if you have read the other posts about decking, you saw that most boats don't
have the factory installed ribs along the sides for decking.......
this is something that you must design and install yourself to support the decking.
This is a personal project. Almost every one is different to some degree.
As for the beveling, it provides a tighter fit against the hull to keep stuff from accumulating
in the open cracks. There are a few different ideas as how to get the bevel and your
woodworking skills. It is obvious as how to set your saw blade to cut the curve of the boat.
The bevel of the wood against the hull should not be the only means of supporting the deck safely.
Too much flexing and movement to expect a long lasting deck if it is only free floating.

If you have no woodworking skills what-so-ever and you want a professional looking boat,
there are a couple of options that you could use . . . .
AFTER you have installed the angle bracing and permanently secured the plywood in place,
poke some 1/4" - 3/8" rope around the edge to fill the gap. Then, fill the gap with some Bondo
to make it smooth and flush. Then, make a paper pattern, cut out and apply your carpet.
This will allow your plywood and carpet to go flush with the hull. Not only professional looking,
but, will keep out the trash that usually accumulates in open spaces.
Another option I have seen, works well but not very professional looking. . . . .
is to leave the gaps in the plwood - - - cut the carpet so it rides about a half inch up the hull
and glue it in place.... seals the crack - just looks a little shoddy.

Now, if it does not matter to you, it is your boat, you are the only one using it......
fix it up the way that will best serve you. - - - your call.
Enjoy your project !!

cutting out a deck with the bevel to fit a boat hull is a whole tutorial in itself.
You can adjust your saw blade to the correct angle.
You can use a rough rasp to cut back the angle
You can use a small block plane to cut back the angle.
It just depends on you, your skills, the tools you have and how well do you want it to fit.
block plane.jpg

I did a 45 degree bevel on 1/2" plywood with a belt sander. I laid 3 rows of 1/4" masking tape along the edge of the plywood then pulled the outer two leaving the third. I used the 1/4" tape as it was easier to follow the shape of the plywood. Then with the belt sander held sideways I worked my way around the plywood.

Thanks,I figured the bevel would give me a good look and fit.I can use my router for the bevel.The deck won't bee free floating,I have some anchor points now. Like you said Johnny each is a personal design. Making mock up of some mods before permanent install.

Latest posts