My Alweld 1552

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfrnut

Reaction score
Missing a lot of in-work pics, but this is where I am right now. Just added the 20 HP Tohatsu. Will be adding a jack plate soon as the motor sits way too low in the water. Also just added those side bunks to the trailer, as well as a Fulton hinge to the tongue of my trailer(not pictured, but saved me 2 feet of total length in the garage).

Thank you!

Very happy with the setup, and really happy with the model I ended up getting. I've already spent more than enough money on the larger items, now it's just tweaking to add the little things here and there.

Normally yes. Haven't had and issue so far as I don't need to nail it to get out of the hole. I have, however, come close to kicking myself out of the seat when I was being a bit agressive with it and it was only me on the boat.

evergreener said:
What speed do your set up go?
Looking into a 25hp project for myself soon too. :)

With the 20 HP, I cap out around 24 MPH according to phone/fish GPS with just myself. I hit around 22 with my normal fishing buddy. However, the top speed might be because of the prop. I haven't had the boat out in about a month, but after I put the jack plate on it, I believe the motor is hitting the limiter. I think I may have maxed out the MPH for the stock prop that came on it. My tach isn't doing a stellar job, all the numbers are all off by about 3K RPM, so having trouble confirming. I thought about going with a 25 myself, but in the case of having the Tohatsu, it's just more weight and 20 was the biggest you could go and have it just shipped to your door without going first-hand to an installer.

Nice setup, bet there will be a floor in it shortly! :wink:
Walking on, or tripping over the ribs gets old after awhile!

Very nice rig. I am wanting something similar so it's good see pics of one set up like I have in mind. You need to look into getting a tiny tach so you can verify your rpm's and prop it accordingly. I would inagine you would hit upper 20's by yourself since you don't have it loaded down with gear and extra decking.

BTW, do you know the empty weight of the hull?

I guess it's time I revisit the site and log in to see what's up :)

Thanks for the kind words. I do have a tiny tach, although I went through some frustrations with it. It kept giving me numbers that were way off in any setting I tried. I was changing fluids just a few weeks ago and decided to tinker around a bit with it when I had it running in the garage again. Turns out, I needed to completely ignore the instructions. :) It started working correctly when I wrapped it around both plug wires...dunno why...it just works that way. I'm now seeing between 5800 and 6100 at full throttle which is right where it should be under the limiter. It bounces just a bit, so not sure if there is some slip or just the fact of it being a cheap tach, but have to say I'm fairly happy with that. I have toyed with the idea of trying a bit longer prop to see if there is any more MPH in it, but I'm pretty happy being above 20 MPH with a boat that probably weighs 1000 lbs easy with two people in it.

To all those innovative people...I need some ideas.

I currently have a Helix 5 on the bow. I bought it before the outboard so I didn't really see this one coming. Now that I have the motor, I want to option to be able to cover more water from the back while searching for fish with the sonar. I have been going back and forth over the last few days over whether to start buying more electronics(possibly networking bow/stern units) or adding the additional wiring so I can move the single unit between ends of the boat. For now, I have decided on the cheaper option. I have the HB wiring on the way to give me a second connection point at the stern. I figured this way, if I still decide I hate it and get annoyed with only one unit, it only ran me >$100. Believe me, a hard decision considering the HB 899 units I have seen going for >$600.

In any event, I still have the same dilemma no matter which option I end up doing, where/how to mount the unit in the back? As you can see from the pics above, I have a pedestal seat in back(extension can be removed). Just trying to get some ideas from people that may have crossed the same bridge and how you ended up mounting yours. It's only a five inch unit, so while I can see it pretty well, I want it somewhat close to me and at least within arms reach to be able to switch screens and hit mark buttons, etc which I'm idling around on the outboard.

golfrnut said:

I currently have a Helix 5 on the bow. I bought it before the outboard so I didn't really see this one coming. Now that I have the motor, I want to option to be able to cover more water from the back while searching for fish with the sonar. I have been going back and forth over the last few days over whether to start buying more electronics(possibly networking bow/stern units) or adding the additional wiring so I can move the single unit between ends of the boat. For now, I have decided on the cheaper option. I have the HB wiring on the way to give me a second connection point at the stern. I figured this way, if I still decide I hate it and get annoyed with only one unit, it only ran me >$100. Believe me, a hard decision considering the HB 899 units I have seen going for >$600.

In any event, I still have the same dilemma no matter which option I end up doing, where/how to mount the unit in the back? As you can see from the pics above, I have a pedestal seat in back(extension can be removed). Just trying to get some ideas from people that may have crossed the same bridge and how you ended up mounting yours. It's only a five inch unit, so while I can see it pretty well, I want it somewhat close to me and at least within arms reach to be able to switch screens and hit mark buttons, etc which I'm idling around on the outboard.

Glad you checked back in. I am in the beginning stages of rigging my new 1648 Alumacraft and am in a similar spot as you. As of now, I plan on getting a Helix 5 DI/SI GPS and mounting it on the back instead of swapping it from back to front. For the front, I really like some of the basic Lowrance DI models they have that run about $150. They don't have GPS but if I can find the spots with the Helix, then hopefully I can use the cheaper front unit's down imaging to stay on them. It may be sacrilege to run two different brands on the same boat but I don't care :D . I guess the cheaper Humminbirds are also an option but they don't appear to have as good of displays at first glance.

I am interested in your research on moving the Helix to different locations as well though. I have another boat which I would like to share the Helix between.

wmk0002 said:
golfrnut said:

Glad you checked back in. I am in the beginning stages of rigging my new 1648 Alumacraft and am in a similar spot as you. As of now, I plan on getting a Helix 5 DI/SI GPS and mounting it on the back instead of swapping it from back to front. For the front, I really like some of the basic Lowrance DI models they have that run about $150. They don't have GPS but if I can find the spots with the Helix, then hopefully I can use the cheaper front unit's down imaging to stay on them. It may be sacrilege to run two different brands on the same boat but I don't care :D . I guess the cheaper Humminbirds are also an option but they don't appear to have as good of displays at first glance.

I am interested in your research on moving the Helix to different locations as well though. I have another boat which I would like to share the Helix between.

I bought another mount bracket, transducer extension cable, and power cable. I think it ran me about $85? My intention is to run the wires and just leave the connectors at wherever I end up mounting the unit. HB used to make a unit switch, the US3, that would have made it a bit easier to switch between locations but the switches are pretty much impossible to find so I will either do one of two things, just plug the extension cable in or splice the wiring together to T the wiring off to either mounting location. My intent will hopefully be to mount the brackets in the two locations and just use the knurl knobs to mover the until between the two. I don't really think I want the unit back there all the time, but there are times when I am just surveying an area and want to be able to mark fish/structure on the unit. If I start loving a unit back there too much, I am sure I will end up biting the bullet and going to a two-unit network. :) As much as I think I already want to do so now, I was able to talk myself back off the ledge and go with the less costlier way of trying it out. I was really close too, was able to price out both a 899 and 859 unit for a shade over $1K. Would have been a little more with the network cables, etc...but cheap with all being considered.

Have you decided how you are mounting your back unit? I have a 1552 so it's going to be a little too wide I think to mount off the side.

golfrnut said:
wmk0002 said:
golfrnut said:

I bought another mount bracket, transducer extension cable, and power cable. I think it ran me about $85? My intention is to run the wires and just leave the connectors at wherever I end up mounting the unit. HB used to make a unit switch, the US3, that would have made it a bit easier to switch between locations but the switches are pretty much impossible to find so I will either do one of two things, just plug the extension cable in or splice the wiring together to T the wiring off to either mounting location. My intent will hopefully be to mount the brackets in the two locations and just use the knurl knobs to mover the until between the two. I don't really think I want the unit back there all the time, but there are times when I am just surveying an area and want to be able to mark fish/structure on the unit. If I start loving a unit back there too much, I am sure I will end up biting the bullet and going to a two-unit network. :) As much as I think I already want to do so now, I was able to talk myself back off the ledge and go with the less costlier way of trying it out. I was really close too, was able to price out both a 899 and 859 unit for a shade over $1K. Would have been a little more with the network cables, etc...but cheap with all being considered.

Have you decided how you are mounting your back unit? I have a 1552 so it's going to be a little too wide I think to mount off the side.

I don't have a clue yet as to how I am going to mount it. I definitely want some sort of RAM mount though for maneuverability. I'm not even sure how to route my wires. I've only had the boat for about a week, so all I have done so far is mount my trolling motor on the left of the bow. It's going to take some planning on where/how to route the wires if I want my battery in the stern and to avoid interference between my TM power wires and depth finder wires.