Forward console Weldbilt build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverrat717

Reaction score
Just picked her up this morning. No one beats a Duckys deal!! Great people to deal with.
20150912_105721_zpsqpzd9drr.jpg

Been raining here all day, but stopped long enough for me to snap a couple of pics. I plan on mounting the console somewhere close to this position, with enough room to walk in front of, and around.
20150912_161123_zpspfxpyipt.jpg

20150912_161712_zpsugu42o8h.jpg

Thinking of a cooler livewell positioned behind the console to pop a squat on long runs, and an aluminium grab rail on the console itself.

Also, for steering cable length, should I measure a straight shot down and back from the console to the transom, and run the cables under the floor?
Who makes a decent quality top mount throttle, and is it universal? I'll be running an older Yamaha made Mariner 40, but plan on upgrading to a bigger outboard when funds allow.

In my opinion I would run them straight back from console under your floor. Is there any room under your floor for controls?

Ps I have a binnacle practically brand new if you decide to go with an evinrude.

Fordracing2105 said:
In my opinion I would run them straight back from console under your floor. Is there any room under your floor for controls?

Ps I have a binnacle practically brand new if you decide to go with an evinrude.

Honestly, I haven't lifted it yet, but i would imagine there would be in between the ribs and strakes.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind, but the wallet will be the deciding factor in outboard selection! LOL

riverrat717 said:
Fordracing2105 said:

Honestly, I haven't lifted it yet, but i would imagine there would be in between the ribs and strakes.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind, but the wallet will be the deciding factor in outboard selection! LOL

I haven't found or had a boat where I could run the cables down the strakes. Not saying you can't. I think there are cables out there that you can thread different ends on but not sure about that 100 %.

Got some goodies installed over the weekend.
20150919_113537_zpsfqaepbek.jpg

Lifted up the floor to run controls and wire. Lucked out and got 400' of 16ga tinned wire for free.
nice foam....thinking pink board replacement.
20150919_124235_zpsdhvh2f1t.jpg

20150919_132614_zpsxgz2qsfx.jpg

Ended up running my steering cable down the starboard side of the hull. Still have to cut a hole in the floor pannel to fish every thing up through to the console.
20150920_111540_zpsfudqg9km.jpg

Left plenty of wire to tie everything together
20150920_111554_zpsmxcisljq.jpg

20150920_111630_zpscn0vdbey.jpg

That's one good looking boat to start with! Love the 29inch side... look forward to this build. :)

Nice, BIG boat. I've been looking at weldbilt myself. What HP engine will you hang on it?

Fine work there and good to see that the cabling is all going to work out. Love the size and layout of that boat. I think my brother would also love that for running crab pots on the Chess. for Blue Crabs.

Got a few more things done this past weekend. Mounted the helm, throttle/shifter, cut hole and mocked in the switch panel.
20150926_142434_zpsszvffzpb.jpg

Mocked console in floor, and cut holes for wire and controls cables, and ran them.
20150926_160302_zpsplpdcytw.jpg

20150926_192636_zpswbnz2nzr.jpg

Asked the electrician at work to bend up some 1" aluminum conduit for my grab bar.
20150926_142528_zpsfscegyn9.jpg

Sharkeye nav lights. Came in raw stainless, so I painted them to match the hull.
20150926_142453_zpsuk9wg60i.jpg

20150926_152722_zps1odcqybd.jpg

Got everything secured, and ready for the first trip on the water, which was Sunday. New boat next to the old one, had to get a few things out of it.
20150927_140038_zps7idoihck.jpg

Made it to the river! 40hp mariner pushes it quite well with two people, I'm sure with more weight, that wouldn't be the case.
20150927_150911_zpsqjjl4ttu.jpg

20150927_153220_zpsufkymejq.jpg

20150927_154449_zpsxq6bzrvh.jpg

Still have lights to wire in, and a few other projects planned.

Bowhunter1661 said:
May I ask, is that a tiller conversion that you did on that motor? Or is it factory remote steering?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I bought it like it is. I would assume its factory, but not 100% sure.

Also, been toying with the idea of a jackplate. Anyone care to chime in with their opinion? Plan on running a jet after the tax return check.

I built a jack plate for my 1440 Lowe, I am running a 25 Johnson. Went from 28 to 32. I am running a 15" prop as well. Also the fuel economy seems to have increased slightly.

I would do it all over again. The only thing I would change is the "look" of mine. Kinda slapped it together in a hurry so it isn't the best to look at.

I built it with 3"x3"X1/4" angle aluminum. Originally I had a 2x10 bolted in, but, it made erie crackling noises under acceleration. Recently I installed a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. It is solid as a rock!

Johnny said:
AWESOME job so far !! That rig will give you a hundred years of good times.

Just a question . . . the shark eye "nav lights" - - - are they both white just for visibility?
or, are they red/green navigation lights?

Clear lenses, with red and green led's.

that is what I was thinking . . .
I am pretty sure you have them installed incorrectly, although they do look great.

They should be installed as to direct the colored light from dead ahead
to 112 degrees aft on the port and starboard sides.
Marine-Navigation-Lights.jpg
And please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I see yours,
it "appears" that the red/green lights overlap in the front and and
can not be seen from the side or rear.
This could cause an oncoming boater to be confused as to the orientation of
your boat and could possible create a dangerous situation. Especially if the
other boater is distracted or under the influence and speeding towards you.

Just do some research into the proper mounting of the Shark Eye Nav Lights.
Look at this photo of the listing on e-bay.
eye lights.jpg
the pointy end points towards the middle for proper orientation.
and this is your boat.
Nav Lights.png
Did your set include mounting instructions on the package ?

If you plan on doing a lot of night driving, A way to test if the configuration
is correct is to park your boat on the trailer on level ground . . . . (at night, of course).
move the tow vehicle out of the way. Turn on the running lights, walk out 100 feet,
stand in front of the boat dead ahead . . . you should see the red and green
lights equally..... walk off a bit to either side of the center line and only ONE
light should be bright and visible. If you walk 10 or 20 feet to the side of the
center line and you still see two equal bright lights, then it is not of the correct
orientation and you would be putting yourself, your boat, your passengers and
the other boat and its passengers in harms way.

Johnny said:
that is what I was thinking . . .
I am pretty sure you have them installed incorrectly, although they do look great.

They should be installed as to direct the colored light from dead ahead
to 112 degrees aft on the port and starboard sides.
View attachment 2
And please correct me if I am wrong, but the way I see yours,
it "appears" that the red/green lights overlap in the front and and
can not be seen from the side or rear.
This could cause an oncoming boater to be confused as to the orientation of
your boat and could possible create a dangerous situation. Especially if the
other boater is distracted or under the influence and speeding towards you.

Just do some research into the proper mounting of the Shark Eye Nav Lights.
Look at this photo of the listing on e-bay.

the pointy end points towards the middle for proper orientation.
and this is your boat.
View attachment 1
Did your set include mounting instructions on the package ?

If you plan on doing a lot of night driving, A way to test if the configuration
is correct is to park your boat on the trailer on level ground . . . . (at night, of course).
move the tow vehicle out of the way. Turn on the running lights, walk out 100 feet,
stand in front of the boat dead ahead . . . you should see the red and green
lights equally..... walk off a bit to either side of the center line and only ONE
light should be bright and visible. If you walk 10 or 20 feet to the side of the
center line and you still see two equal bright lights, then it is not of the correct
orientation and you would be putting yourself, your boat, your passengers and
the other boat and its passengers in harms way.

From TH Marine's page
sel-1-navigation-lighs-shark-eye-tear-drop-lights-installed-500_4.jpg

sel-1-navigation-lighs-shark-eye-tear-drop-lights-single-installed-500_4.jpg

Looks to me like their installed correctly. No instructions came with them. After I get them wired in, I'll test them out.

Latest posts