New to me project. 1960 Starcraft 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbinchris

Reaction score
I just joined the forum after finding a bunch of great information and then purchasing my own "tin boat" recently.

I bought a 1960 14' Starcraft. The boat has been stripped and repainted and the transom has been redone by the previous owner. He also put wood on the benches. He did a fair job on both. I'v already had to modify the transom as he put so much wood in there that I couldn't clamp either of my outboards onto it. He used some rustoleum on the outside of it that I don't expect to last too long, but it will be good for the rest of the season.

He also stripped and repainted the trailer, added new wiring with LED lights. The wiring wasn't protected against chafing and thus some of it already doesn't work so I'll need to run all new wiring again and do it correctly. He put on a new rear axle, hubs, and wheels/tires so that's all good to go at least. It's a nice little trailer with coil springs and shocks. He says he put new carpet on the bunks, but "new" is a very loose term. Pretty sure it's some old shag carpet out of his basement. I'll be recovering it with proper marine bunk carpet from West Marine.

I don't plan to do much to it this season. I'm not really a fisherman, and just wanted it to motor around in and explore various local waterways. I got it out today for about 45 min, in between a couple of 12 hour shifts at work.

My plan is to make a winter project out of it. Again I'm just wanting something to run about in. I'm leaning towards a bit of a Boston Whaler style configuration with a small side or center console. Currently I have a 5hp honda tiller steer motor as well as a 10hp Honda that was previously set up for remote steer.

Below are a couple pictures. I'm looking forward to hanging out here in this new to me forum.

Stubborn Dutchman said:
Great find! It should be a good set up for you when done. Enjoy your project. Looking forward to pics of your progress.

Don

Thanks, I'm also looking forward to modifying and enjoying this boat.

bobberboy said:
Welcome. Good luck with your project. People here love pics so keep on posting them.

Thanks man. The picture thing sounds like any other forum I've been on, and I've been on plenty.

For the sake of posting some photos, here are a few from when I replaced part of the wood on the transom earlier this week.

The piece put on by the previous owner was completely split in half.

I cut a new one out of a $10 cutting board from Walmart....

Then attached it to the transom with new (and shorter) stainless bolts. Unfortunately removal of the wood also took some paint with it. The previous owner sent me a photo of what he used to paint the boat, so I can go get some more.

Here is a look at the inside of the transom. The PO had replaced the wood there and said he doubled it up. The doubled up wood along with the additional piece on the back made it too thick to allow either of my motors to clamp onto it. The high density plastic of the cutting board is thinner than the wood I took off the boat so all is well now.

My wife and I are heading to the Charleston, SC area next week for a little vacation. I plan to take down our sea kayaks as well as my new tin boat to do some exploring of the many waterways down there. Hopefully there isn't a still a flooding situation while we are there.

Any recommendation as to places to explore with my new tin boat or our kayaks in the area? I'll have GPS with me as well if anyone has coordinates of cool things to see that I can punch in.

What a nice, clean rig you have!

If you haven't as yet, check your bearings and make sure they're lubed.

Here's an image I pulled from online on yet another type of steering rig. It might help to take up less space and still give you the facility with the boat that consoles do. It may even be from a TinBoats post.
side wheel boat engine steering fabrication.JPG

(I couldn't do that, but I'm old, slow, and a bit thick. :)

Best Wishes.

Cool idea, but I think that would confuse me too much. I'd much rather look where I'm going. Looks like this idea is more for fishing which I'm not really interested in doing.

Kismet said: What a nice, clean rig you have!
yes, you do have a very nice set up - not cluttered (yet).
you did not mention if this is your first boat or your 15th . . .

If you have not done so already, ensure the area behind the new cutting board
has been cleaned, primed and painted prior to permanently mounting anything
to an aluminum hull. Especially at or below the water line.

Next time you replace the cutting board piece, cut a piece of 1/8"
aluminum sheet the same size, glue them together file the edges smooth....
With the aluminum sheet, you can use 3/8" stainless carriage bolts that have
a smooth round head and will give it a very groomed look.
#1 - gives more support to your transom. #2 - when the plastic cracks,
nobody will know. #3 - it will look very professional.
photos are great - also with your location in your profile we can get an idea of where you hail from.

welcome aboard !!

dubbinchris said:
Cool idea, but I think that would confuse me too much. I'd much rather look where I'm going. Looks like this idea is more for fishing which I'm not really interested in doing.

Uh, Chris? I think the seat was turned to show the hook-up with the motor. I think the throttle is on the opposite side and the driver sits facing forward.

Have fun.

Kismet said:
dubbinchris said:

Uh, Chris? I think the seat was turned to show the hook-up with the motor. I think the throttle is on the opposite side and the driver sits facing forward.

Have fun.

Yeah I realize that. It would still be weird with a steering wheel on the side. Might as well have a stick at that point.