G3 1756w Refurb into Duck boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler0421

Reaction score
Picked this boat up this week for $1000 with Trailer. It's a G3 1756w. It is in Decent Shape. It didn't come with a motor so looking to pick up a 30-40hp tiller motor. Plan is to get it painted and the trailer ready before duck season starts in a few weeks. Trailer needs hardware and springs as well as a new crank. Then, when the season is over put a floor in it and do some other mods to make it useable for fishing as well. I think I got a pretty good deal on the boat what ya think?

Attachments

• IMG_9571.JPG
    IMG_9571.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,405
  • IMG_9570.JPG
    IMG_9570.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,405
  • IMG_9569.JPG
    IMG_9569.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 2,405
  • IMG_9540.JPG
    IMG_9540.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,405
  • IMG_9538.JPG
    IMG_9538.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,405
Anyone have any recommendations on paint to use? Want to do the hull right and worry about the inside in the spring.

Parker Duck boat paint.
I'd put some kind of floor in it now so you don't trip over the ribs with a loaded shotgun in your hands.

Nice hull

Krylon fusion camo or Rustoleum camo spray paint cans always do good enough for me, if I had a paint gun I'd shoot it with Parkers or Sherwin Williams KEM400, both are similar in durability to factory paints

I used Duralux Duck Boat Drab. Got it a Home Depot for about $40 / gallon. I really like the color. I cleaned the hull to almost complete bare aluminum with a wire wheel, then put a thick coat of self etching primer, and rolled on two coats of the Duralux. Wish I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to make it perfect because the first time out I scratched it all to hell anyway on some rocks. :roll: One of the downfalls of loading and unloading by yourself.

Maybe I should have put 3 or 4 coats on it. :?

chevyrulz said:
Nice hull

Krylon fusion camo or Rustoleum camo spray paint cans always do good enough for me, if I had a paint gun I'd shoot it with Parkers or Sherwin Williams KEM400, both are similar in durability to factory paints

This is what I did with my boat. Parker's duck boat paint in sand tan through a Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun. Then black and brown Rustoleum camo spray for stenciling. Turned out nice.

I used hunters specialties you get as bass pro or cabellas. Marsh grass color (tan). Then used rattle cans for the rest. the pic shows the mud brown cans I got, but ended up using the tan.

Attachments

• 20150228_140220_resized.jpg
    20150228_140220_resized.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,092
  • 20150519_143455_resized.jpg
    20150519_143455_resized.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,092
  • 20150914_141155_resized.jpg
    20150914_141155_resized.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,092
I haven't made much progress. I did get the trailer pretty much ready. I just have to add the guides. I bought a bunch of stuff for the boat. Lights, bilge, gas tank and hose etc. I did pick up a very clean 2006 yamaha 50TLR for $2500 though. If I can figure it out I'll post a pic.

Yamaha%2050_zpstnlvnpeo.jpg

got the tiller hooked up and mounted the motor. My daughter and I took her for a spin yesterday. This thing flys pretty good. I'll take it for another ride this week sometime with my GPS to get numbers.

Anyone have any ideas for livewell? I'm looking at making something I can take out of the boat when I'm not using it. Thinking about using a cooler or possibly having my buddy weld me something up. Just trying to see if there are other options.

Here's my response to someone else asking about a cooler livewell.......

I made a baitwell using a Marine Metal Fish Saver and a 36-quart Igloo Marine Ultra Cooler. Works great. I wired the fish saver to a 12V plug so I can easily plug it into either of my 2 12V receptacles on my boat. I tie the cooler down with a bungee to the captains seat which keeps it held solid while under way. Only modification I made to the cooler was to cut a small "V" out of the lip under the lid so the power cord for the fish saver fits nicely. I use it for minnows and bluegill. I also have a 120V aerator I use at the house to keep oxygen levels up while waiting to go fishing. I've kept minnows alive for over 2 weeks in it by changing 1/3 or so of the water every few days and keeping the temperature down with frozen water bottles as needed. I bought a cheap digital aquarium thermometer off of Amazon to keep an eye on the water temperature. It should work fine in a 100-quart cooler as well since it is rated for up to 30 gallons. I have it dialed down pretty low when using it in my 36-quart cooler. Turned all the way up it would probably quickly beat my bait to death.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EYUJFS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Digital-Fish-Aquarium-Thermometer/dp/B00GR0LKN8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456931316&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+aquarium+thermometer

Only picture I have of my setup, but you should get the idea.
IMG_20150408_213605_zpsjbylxsrx.jpg

Appreciate it. I'm actually going to have to make it with a pump to pump fresh water in and old water out. Thats part of the problem. I may have my buddy cut a hole in the back seat and put one in there. The only problem is I already have so much weight in the back.

Consider doing something down the side.... Kills two birds with one stone you get a livewell and storage plus a bench for when you are duck hunting. My g3 16 pulls double duty as a fishing and duck boat too. I have just about decided I am going to build a livewell/baitwell with some storage space out of fiberglassed wood.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Latest posts