1st Boat Project Polar Kraft Dakota V 1578 WT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raisinrat

Reaction score
Well I am getting really close to diving head 1st into a boat project over the winter. The tackle shop I work for here in Michigan used to rent boats, but because we bought some new property we are moving out of the marina , so no more renting boats. I am seriously thinking of buying one of the two 2013 Polar Kraft 1578 WT. What I am looking for is ideas on layout.I am also trying to build with as little wood as possible, my goal is zero wood being added and would like to remove some.

What I would like to do is the following:
Rod locker that can hold 10 rods
Larger Livable
Large tackle storage area.

Here is the over head of the boat
2000000000.jpg

Here are the pics of the boat in real life and its current shape.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.JPG
    IMG_3744.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,526
  • IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,526
  • IMG_3746.JPG
    IMG_3746.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,526
  • IMG_3747.JPG
    IMG_3747.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,526
Nice boat. With the right amount of money and time anything can be done.

I don't know the hull but I do believe those side boxes are structural to the boat hull and if removed to incorporate a rod locker or larger live-well then it should be done in such a way as to add that structural strength back into the boat.

Agree about keeping as much wood as possible out of the build. Before I retired I worked were I had access to a metal fab shop which had a metal brake that I could use in my "off time". Was very useful in bending sheets to build panels.

If looking for a live-well tank take a look at Great Lakes Skipper.com they have quite a selection of poly tanks of different sizes and shapes. I found one there that will fit what I'm looking for.

Well still haven't pulled the trigger yet on this boat. I now have access to a metal Fab shop to laser cut the deck for me and might even be able to have some custom stuff made up for the build. Lots of ideas going through my head.