My new project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdwa_78

Reaction score
I got myself a free boat!!! Waiting on the title but I think it's a 58 lonestar. Came with trailer, 2 anchors, 2 oars and a working depth finder.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 3,284
Work has begun

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 3,262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,262
Paint coming off

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,259
Still taking paint off. Multiple layers finally getting down to the original layer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3,255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,255
Gonna do some modifications to make it a little more fishing friendly. Thinking about building boxes under the seats to hold foam and storage. The original ones were sealed tight until someone drilled into them now they hold water. Gonna add a floor in the front and raise the seat just a little to make it more comfortable to bow fish for bass. Don't want to add much weight but I want to make it easier for me and the family to fish small lakes. I'll have to save up for a motor.

I was actually thinking about cutting the original seat pan down and flipping it over so that it created a base for my new storage bench seats. It would go from seam to seam and then build oak plywood boxes to set on that pan. 3 chambers in the boxes each side for foam and center for storage. Then use aluminum angle to replace the original seat and allow for a hinged lid for access. Probably a 1x12 oak plank for the lid and fishing seats attached to that

I should clarify. Fish off the bow for bass. Not bow fish for bass

Very nice score and the price was right. Looks like it is cleaning up very well w/o a lot of dings and dents.

At this point you're pretty much open to redesign it the way you'd like. Oak ply would look nice but I don't know how well it would hold up in a marine environment. All oak panels I have seen are interior grade and the glues are not water proof. Also stay away from any pressure treated stuff as it reacts with the aluminum.

Whatever wood you use will need to be sealed also. I was given a recipe for a sealer that I've found works very well and is inexpensive. It's 1 part boiled linseed oil, 2 parts mineral spirits and 1 part spar urethane. It's put on very heavy, until it starts to pool then allowed to dry for 48hrs., longer is better. then apply 2-3 coats of straight spar.

We have a Rich Line that is very similar to yours, in fact I 1st thought it to be a Crestline or a Lone Star. We found a 1960 Johnson 18hp on CL for next to nothing as it wasn't running. I pulled the magneto plate and cleaned up everything, reset the points and then cleaned the carb. Took a few pulls but it fired up and is running very nicely. Still needs a seal kit in the lower unit but that will be done over the winter.

That 18hp pushes this 14' very well even with 3 people in it. Total investment in this engine is about $50.00

Nice work on a great acquisition~!

I had an 18hp Johnson years ago, and it did everything well...and dependably. I paid more than $50 for it, though. Nice motor.

That boat could last forever for you. =D>

If you have a Menards nearby stop in and look at what they have. They do carry a marine plywood that is not overly expensive but it is also not the top quality that can be had. They also carry a Premium sanded one side ACX plywood which is what I've been using. The 1/2" ply is 5 ply where most of their lower quality stuff is only 4 ply. The 3/4" stuff is 7 ply's.

I have 2 project boats going at tis time. One is a 1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 which has been on hold because of the other boat which is a 1984 Sea Nymph Pike Attacker which you can find the rebuild thread here on this forum. There are quite a few pictures posted in it.

Here are a few pictures of the Rich Line. I didn't paint it as it was going to my son and he just couldn't wait to fish.

Ready to buck the rivets and apply gluvit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 1,117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,117
75% of first primer coat down.

Attachments