New project, Dakota 1650 modified V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter1661

Reaction score
Just bought this boat off of my grandpa. It is an little older, 1986 Dakota manufacturing 1650. Plan on a rear lid made out of aluminum. As well as aluminum casting deck extension up front. The name of the game is simplicity for this boat. The interior will be sprayed in tan Rustoleum bedliner instead of carpet.

My current rig, a Lowe 1440 has aluminum decks and carpet. The carpet is a pain in the neck to keep clean, plus it always seems the glue comes loose. Not to mention when you lay a fish on it the slime seeps in.

I am one that likes you things to be perfect. Even though it's only a fishing boat I HATED fishing in rain and getting my carpet wet. This boat will be worry free! Wash it out after a day of catfishing and let it air dry!

The trailer needs work too. New bunks bottom and side, new winch mounting post (current one is wrong for the trailer and is way too low for where the eye is located for the hook). Also a good sanding and roll on bedliner. Not to mention the bend it has in the center where my grandpa rigged up a support tube. May be cutting that out, fixing the bend, then supporting it again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,873
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,873
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3,873
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3,873
All that matters is that it fits your needs and then to rig it to suite your style. Next you should have plenty of time to get it ready for spring.

I am thinking that this will be the last boat I buy for a while. I thought that about my last but the 1440 just did not have the width that I was needing. I love these John boats because you can get them in pretty tight spots, as well as not having to worry about scratching the paint.

My father-in-law has a Ranger 621 Comanche, I always disliked having to worry about my jig flying back and chipping the gelcoat. So yes, this boat should fit my needs just fine.

Stay tuned I will also make this my build thread. My fiancé and I just bought a new house. It is currently being built and will be finished on the 18th. Once we move in and I finished all the honeydews I will begin building this for spring.

Bowhunter1661 said:
I am thinking that this will be the last boat I buy for a while. I thought that about my last but the 1440 just did not have the width that I was needing. I love these John boats because you can get them in pretty tight spots, as well as not having to worry about scratching the paint.

My father-in-law has a Ranger 621 Comanche, I always disliked having to worry about my jig flying back and chipping the gelcoat. So yes, this boat should fit my needs just fine.

I can understand your thinking in both regards. I now have 2 tins, one a 16' Alumacraft and the other a 14.5" Sean Nymph. The smaller boat gets into the backwaters much easier than the 16' and when I put the engine up into shallow drive I can get into 12" deep water if I move slowly.

I also regularly launch at a gravel ramp that doesn't have a pier so I have to beach all the time. Wouldn't want to do that with a glasser.

Well fellas, work has begun on the new boat and trailer. First step was cutting down the trailer to make it fit in my garage! The winch post he had on the trailer was not original and was extremely flimsy. So I built a new one, plan to install it once I get the bunks done. You can see it in the photo of the tongue cut off.

Next was removing all the old road sign flooring my grandpa had installed, as well as about 200 lb worth of leaves and other foliage! Removed all of his old wiring, trolling motors, fish finger, seats. It all went.

Then I lifted the boat onto some home made sea horses. Removed all the bunks, mounts and guidons. Also plan on replacing the wiring harness, then just reuse the old lights. Finally sand, prime then bedline the whole trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3,645
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,645
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,645
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,645
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,645
Working on the boat today. Got quite a bit done. Made a trip to homedepot and bought all the things I need to get the trailer squared away. Asside for a trailer jack and coupler. Bought a new Palm sander and sanded the whole trailer. Then used Rustoleum rust converter primer, going to follow up in the morning with two coats of bedliner.. Also made new bottom bunks and guide ons. Trailer is coming together!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,557
Decided to go ahead and spray the bedliner on the trailer. Primer had setup pretty quick. Sprayed 4 thin coats. I have to say it looks great. Also, I went ahead and bolted the side guides on as well as bolted the bunks on. Almost time to start working on the boat!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,546
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,546
I also managed to destroy my brand new concrete. The overspray was still not setup when I lowered the boat on the trailer. When I did that some water came out of the boat and made the bedliner turn into a stain! :oops:

And on this note the trailer work is completed, new trailer jack installed, new coupler and winch post installed. May need to adjust my homemade winch post after the first trip to the lake just not sure yet. Getting a quote tomorrow for aluminum. So more than likely some time this week I will be beginning the deck work!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,477
Well I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a happy new year. I was able to sneak in a little time to work on the boat New Year's Eve. On Thursday I picked up my aluminum for the decks. The metal supplier is also a scrap operation, I bought two 4x4 sheets of 1/16 aluminum scrap, a 4x8 of .063 for my front deck and sides. Front frame is constructed of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 6061 aluminum angle (wish they had 6063), deck supports are made of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8" square aluminum.

If I had the choice I probably would have used 1/16" angle and square. I believe it would have been plenty ridged. However the supplier only had 1/8" in stock. I am chomping at the bit to finish this so I took what he had.

Hopefully this weekend I can manage to finish the deck. Headed out deer hunting shortly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,387
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,387
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3,387
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,387
Making great progress. Unlike my deer hunting. Jumped 9 on the way in then didn't see a thing. Center floor is riveted in place, front deck support structure is complete. Now on to gunnels and cutting the front deck sheet aluminum. Measure 15 times cut once!

the electric shears are a life saver!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,360
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,360
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3,360
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,360
Measured 15 times and cut once! Front deck shell fits very well. Kind of hit a wall in production as I need 1x1 square tubing to make my storage lid support frame. Also need to bring the deck to the local machine shop to have them bend the rear so it angles down flush with the side of the center seat/live well

The jury is still out wether to bed line the inside or carpet. Still leaning towards bed lining.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,351
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,351
Tough crowd! No criticism or advise? Here's a question, I planned on cutting out the opening for the hatch lids. Then build a 1x1 frame all the way around the edge with two or three supports going across to stiffen the doors. I will use some 1x1 angle to make supports where the tubing will sit on when the hatches are closed. Very similar to how reservoir boat works builds their lids. Any input on this? Better ways, or cut it out and go with sealed plastic hatch covers. I did just find some really nice looking aluminum covers on cabelas website. May go that route too..

No comments or advise because you seem to know what your doing! I searched Cabella's and did not see aluminum hatches. Where did you find them? I've been looking to order some as well and those sound great.

Latest posts