Greetings! And... SmokerCraft Re-build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! It's been years but I used to frequent this forum. I couldn't get my old screen name to work so I created this new one. I think my old screen name was JKTrevecca. I live in middle Tennessee and currently own my third tin boat. The boat is in great shape and was used 3 times last week. I received some money for Christmas and decided to use it on re-building the interior of the boat to add storage and make it more custom to me.

I started lurking this forum again yesterday and decided to sign up again since I just dove into a project that I'd like to share and get your input on.

I'm re-building the interior of my humble fishing boat. It's a 1981 SmokerCraft 16 foot deep v. I'm a striper fisherman and my plan is to increase storage space, freshen everything up, and incorporate my bait tank into the front deck in a fashion that is semi-permanent but also semi-portable.

Here is a link to a photo album of my project thus far. I started on it yesterday. https://goo.gl/photos/7KKadFCFsfcLS78RA

At the bottom of this post is my budget/shopping list. I plan to use exterior plywood but haven't decided on how to seal it yet. I catch my own bait which is wet and messy. And... I use salt in my bait tank so while I fish freshwater, salt is involved to a degree.

ebay has a 1 gallon 2 part epoxy resin kit for about 70 bucks shipped to my door. I have read that may of you use thompsons or paint. Are you getting 10+ years with that? Would 1 gallon of epoxy resin be enough to coat all sides of a 16 foot by 60 inch floor + the front decking materials?

Any input on where to get materials for great deals? Specifically the plywood, resin, and vinyl floor covering.

Here is my shopping list. The bottom items are "if I can squeeze it in the budget but not required" items.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Required
Plywood 150 4 sheets 1/2" and 1 sheet 3/4' exterior
Resin 100 ebay or west marine?
Vinyl Floor + Glue 21 foot x 6 foot 220 https://www.defender.com
Rivits 30 https://www.rivets.com
3M 5200 18 https://www.amazon.com
3/4 Through Hull Fittings x 2 7 amazon
Hose for Bait Tank Plumbing to pump. 20 hose for bait tank plumbing
Wire Connectors 13 amazon
Wiring 50 possibly avoidable…
Seat Base 40 amazon
Total 648

Wish List
Hatch Door 30 craigslist - act fast!
Buss Bar to clean up and simplify wiring 12
Extra Battery 65
3-Bank Charger 160

Welcome back! Looks like this will be a nice build and you've gotten quite a jump on it.

I would look for some ACX sanded on side for the ply. Which is what I've been using.

As for sealing the plywood of course it is well known that epoxy resin is the best choice over-all though there is something else that I've learned from a different site to seal with and have found it to work very well and is much less expensive. The formula goes like this. 1 part Boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar urethane and 2 parts mineral spirits.

How much you are going to use will be determined by the moisture content of the wood. Dryer wood will absorb more and also seal better because of it.

Vinyl covering is a great way to go and the website you've listed is about the best price you're going to find. I also think if you search the web you can find a better price for the seat base. Again look thru ebay.

I like the way you've laid out the floor plan. You're starting point looks very similar to my Alumacraft Classic 16.

One thing that I can add is that.....if you are going to cover the plywood with the vinyl flooring, I wouldn't spend the extra money for ACX but rather use BCX or even CDX.

Remember to coat both sides of the plywood to lessen warping.

Epoxy is expensive. You might Google.... polyester resin... to see if that would do the job for you. I don't have a lot of experience in either material, though.

Watch your added weight.

regards, richg99

I use ACX for a couple of reasons. 1; most BCX or CDX 1/2" ply that I've seen is only 4 ply and has open voids in both sides of the veneer where as the ACX always has one side that is clear and is 5 ply making it a bit stiffer. 2; When laying vinyl it is best to have a clear flat side to glue to. Any voids gives a place for the vinyl to start to delaminate or bubble. I've always used a weighted roller to roll out the vinyl or carpet onto the adhesive and have yet to have one start to pull up. The cost difference between ACX and BCX is usually less tan $6.00 a sheet.

Regardless of which method you use to seal the plywood it is always best to do both sides as rot normally starts from underneath as moisture gets trapped there. It is also wise to cut any holes and predrill for fasteners when you can before sealing and pay extra attention to all sides were the ply's are exposed.

The 1st boat I've done with this method was a Lund S14 DLX and it is now 7 years old and still looks almost as good as day one. Though it is kept clean and allowed to dry out after use. Also the 2 boats in my sig. will also be done with this method.

Welcome back.

I paint my plywood with enamel paint and have no trouble with contact cement holding my carpet to the deck, even when soaking wet it won't let go.

Worked on the boat for a couple hours Sunday after church. Picked up the plywood, cut the first 2 pieces, and used the old 3rd piece to make a template for the bait tank to be incorporated. Photos are updated on the original link.

Purchased the carpet, glue, and 2 gallons of expoxy.

On that note. Do you think 2 gallons will be enough to coat all surfaces of the plywood?

Thanks! Jason

Thanks Rich. I've been working out of town all week but got home today. After I put the kiddos to bed and spent time with the family I went to the garage and finished cutting and routing the replacement floor pieces. And... My new vinyl floor material, epoxy resin, and seat base came today. The flooring glue should arrive tomorrow.

Here are some pix of the completed replacement floor with the recessed bait tank that will have a front deck build around it.

Attachments

• 0107162311.jpg
    0107162311.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,629
  • 0107162312.jpg
    0107162312.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,629
Looking very good. Nice fit with the plywood.

As to the amount of resin you'll use will be dependent on the moisture content of the wood as I mentioned before and as I haven't used that method before so I can't even give a guesstament. I would think or hope that 2 gal would be more than enough to do what you have there. But please keep track and let us know how much you use se at least I can get an idea of coverage.

Waiting to see more!

Made some progress after church today. Here is the last photo. I updated about 35 pix to the album you can acess from the original link/post of this thread.

Trying to decide the cleanest and most efficient way to plumb the water in/out of the bait tank. Any thoughts?

I found an old junk bass boat and I'm going to talk to the owner tomorrow to see if I can pry the hatch doors off his hands. They are all aluminum with aluminum frames. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll let go of them.

Attachments

• P1080126.JPG
    P1080126.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 2,571
  • P1080127.JPG
    P1080127.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 2,571
  • P1080123.JPG
    P1080123.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 2,568
https://www.myhardwaresupply.com/store/p/35398-Thermoplast-Flotec-Drill-Pump.aspx?feed=Froogle&gclid=CjwKEAiAws20BRCs-P-ssLbSlg4SJABbVcDppPoABE3hgvZP6FdpVu6BLGYxIbELqVdjP5o8RmoHoBoCsTrw_wcB

Really like the way the forward side console blends with the front deck / livewell area. Great way to open up floor space!

JKTreveccaFishin said:
Made some progress after church today. Here is the last photo. I updated about 35 pix to the album you can acess from the original link/post of this thread.

Trying to decide the cleanest and most efficient way to plumb the water in/out of the bait tank. Any thoughts?

I found an old junk bass boat and I'm going to talk to the owner tomorrow to see if I can pry the hatch doors off his hands. They are all aluminum with aluminum frames. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll let go of them.
I just moved to east Tennessee. Have you ever been fishing in Dale Hollow? I thought I might give it a try. I like your boat. I wish I would have configured my own instead of buying a new one. Wound up with a 1756 dlx Lowe with 50 hp. Evinrude tiller steer.
bonz_d said:
Welcome back! Looks like this will be a nice build and you've gotten quite a jump on it.

I would look for some ACX sanded on side for the ply. Which is what I've been using.

As for sealing the plywood of course it is well known that epoxy resin is the best choice over-all though there is something else that I've learned from a different site to seal with and have found it to work very well and is much less expensive. The formula goes like this. 1 part Boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar urethane and 2 parts mineral spirits.

How much you are going to use will be determined by the moisture content of the wood. Dryer wood will absorb more and also seal better because of it.

Vinyl covering is a great way to go and the website you've listed is about the best price you're going to find. I also think if you search the web you can find a better price for the seat base. Again look thru ebay.

I like the way you've laid out the floor plan. You're starting point looks very similar to my Alumacraft Classic 16.

JKTreveccaFishin said:
Hello! It's been years but I used to frequent this forum. I couldn't get my old screen name to work so I created this new one. I think my old screen name was JKTrevecca. I live in middle Tennessee and currently own my third tin boat. The boat is in great shape and was used 3 times last week. I received some money for Christmas and decided to use it on re-building the interior of the boat to add storage and make it more custom to me.

I started lurking this forum again yesterday and decided to sign up again since I just dove into a project that I'd like to share and get your input on.

I'm re-building the interior of my humble fishing boat. It's a 1981 SmokerCraft 16 foot deep v. I'm a striper fisherman and my plan is to increase storage space, freshen everything up, and incorporate my bait tank into the front deck in a fashion that is semi-permanent but also semi-portable.

Here is a link to a photo album of my project thus far. I started on it yesterday. https://goo.gl/photos/7KKadFCFsfcLS78RA

At the bottom of this post is my budget/shopping list. I plan to use exterior plywood but haven't decided on how to seal it yet. I catch my own bait which is wet and messy. And... I use salt in my bait tank so while I fish freshwater, salt is involved to a degree.

ebay has a 1 gallon 2 part epoxy resin kit for about 70 bucks shipped to my door. I have read that may of you use thompsons or paint. Are you getting 10+ years with that? Would 1 gallon of epoxy resin be enough to coat all sides of a 16 foot by 60 inch floor + the front decking materials?

Any input on where to get materials for great deals? Specifically the plywood, resin, and vinyl floor covering.

Here is my shopping list. The bottom items are "if I can squeeze it in the budget but not required" items.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Required
Plywood 150 4 sheets 1/2" and 1 sheet 3/4' exterior
Resin 100 ebay or west marine?
Vinyl Floor + Glue 21 foot x 6 foot 220 https://www.defender.com
Rivits 30 https://www.rivets.com
3M 5200 18 https://www.amazon.com
3/4 Through Hull Fittings x 2 7 amazon
Hose for Bait Tank Plumbing to pump. 20 hose for bait tank plumbing
Wire Connectors 13 amazon
Wiring 50 possibly avoidable…
Seat Base 40 amazon
Total 648

Wish List
Hatch Door 30 craigslist - act fast!
Buss Bar to clean up and simplify wiring 12
Extra Battery 65
3-Bank Charger 160

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

LVMark - I haven't fished Dale Hollow but I know the BEST resource for you if you're wanting to learn that Lake. His name is Dave. His information can be found at www.dalehollowdave.com I've driven around that lake for work and it is beautiful. From what I understand it is a very deep clear water lake that produces trophy walleye and smallmouth on a daily basis.

I tend to stick around Cordell Hull, Cheatham, Old Hickory, J Percy Priest, and the skinny waters closer the middle Tennessee. Before I murdered my boat I was doing very well on the bottom end of Old Hickory catching Stripers. I'm still learning but landed a 25 pounder Christmas eve and had 6 more fish on the day after Christmas. My biggest Striper to date was about 2 ounces shy of 30 pounds below Cordell Hull about 6 miles down-stream. It's an all consuming hobby! Good luck learning Dale Hollow. I have some good waypoints for stripers for that lake that were given to me but haven't ventured up there with the boat in tow just yet.

I picked up a total of 6 storage compartment hatches and frames yesterday off an old junk bass boat. I'll post pix later. Gotta earn the green stuff for now.

Have a great day everyone.

I'm about 45 minutes west of Dale Hollow right along Hwy 52. Its a shame I haven't ventured up that way to fish yet. I spend most of my time on Old Hickory and Percy Priest.

Very nice boat and looks like a great project! Love the layout of the boat and location of the bait tank blended into the deck.

When I get back up to TN, I can fish any weekday other than Thursday, if I plan ahead. Anyone else available during the week for a tin-boat armada fish-off after May 15 or so?

richg99

Rich we always seem to go north and haven't thought much about going south but maybe I should bring it up to the wife. PM me and maybe we can come up with some ideas!

Sounds like fun to me. Let me know if and when. I am always up for meeting other fisherman and would love to give Dale hollow a try.

Latest posts