Richline 12' Semi V-Hull Restoration/Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NauticalNick

Reaction score
Just bought an old 1968 12' Richline Off CL.

I Have Bank Fished My Whole Life, Now I Got Myself A Good Paying Job So I Figured It Was Time To Get Myself A Boat.

Here's What Ive Put In So Far:

$225 - Boat + Title
$125 - 47lb Minnkota Motor (Only Used Once)
$325 - 9.9hp Evinrude 1978 + 3gal Tank (PO Kept It Super Clean, Runs Great)
$35 - Used/Like-new Interstate Deep Cycle Battery
$40 - Sanding Materials (Wire Brush, Steel Wool, Hammer Drill, Circular Wire Wheel)
$15 - Alumiweld
Total: $765

Pic's From The PO:
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG

Pic's From The First Day Or Work:
009.JPG
010.JPG
033.JPG
037.JPG

When I bought the boat I failed to notice (3) clusters of bolts in the walls of the boat. Its appears a PO attached something heavy and decided to leave the bolts in to seal the holes. The bolts are very old and very corroded. We tried everything from soaking the bolts in WD-40 to heating them with a propane torch. We got 2 clusters of a total of 6 bolts off by torch. Unfortunately the last cluster was unable to be removed so we ripped the entire area out and plan to braze it back to new with alumiweld.

Today's Accomplishments:
Removed About 35 Screws That Past PO's Had Left.
Removed Half Of The Middle Seat And Gunwhales.
Sanded ~70% Of The Inside.

As For The Hole...
I Am Going To Attempt To Fill It Using Alumiweld, Which I Have Never Used Before. So This Thread Should Also Serve As A Testament As To Whether Alumiweld Works.

First Day Of Work, Continued...
011.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
066.JPG
029.JPG
030.JPG
068.JPG
061.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG

A couple Questions For You Guys:

1.) I Tested The Outboard Yesterday After Buying It. I Ran It In A Garbage Can Filled With Water, All Was Well. However, After Killing The Engine I Put It Away And Removed The Hood To See Gas Sitting In The Gas Line Near The Filter. I Do Not Plan On Using The Motor For 2-3 Weeks. Should I Run The Motor, Remove The Gas Line And Let It Run Til It Dries Out Or Is It Okay To Sit With Gas In The Line?

2.) Has Anyone Used Alumiweld Before?

3.) Do Epoxy's Like JB-Weld Marine Putty Hold Up As Well As Brazed Aluminum?

Hi Nick.
Welcome to tin boats.
I've read your post and just want to say you need to think a little more about how your going about working on your boat. If your not sure about something just ask we love to help.
Turning 3 small bolt holes into one large hole could have been avoided. You could have used a nut splitter, dremel tool or angle grinder to remove the old hardware and had 3 small holes to fix.
Alum weld type products have been tried, they don't work as well in real life as they do on tv. I don't have any experience with JB weld on a hole of that size.
I like the run my motor dry other will say not to and remember never use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat and to use stainless steel hardware.

Latest posts