Sears Gamefisher Duck Boat Upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towmater84

Reaction score
So I posted on this forum over a year ago with my last project. I was all but happy to get the boat out duck hunting. Well a year went by and naturally while sitting in the blind I thought what I would want to do to upgrade this boat. My Duck Boat Upgrade has begun. I had several problems with "patches" I made in the previous build. The JB Weld I used ended up not holding to the hull very well and I ended up with a pretty good leak. A leak that would have to be drained during the hunt. This year I'm going a different route by roughing up the service and applying Aquarium Sealant to the holes. So far it looks good. I decided after looking at several builds on this forum to go with aluminum angle so as to cut on weight. The boat sits low in the water as it is. Also I decided to place the battery up towards the front of the boat to help counter balance the weight in the back. Not like its going to make a huge difference. Also I wanted to add a deck with storage to the front for deeks and misc gear. I tore out the back seat and have a better idea for a bench seat. I will post idea pictures later. The biggest thing I did was re-enforce the transom. I only have a 4HP Johnson but there was major flex in the transom when I would gas up the motor to full throttle. After building for the past 3 weeks I am very happy with the way it is turning out, especially how strong the transom is now. My goal is to have this project complete mid summer. Fingers crossed it happens.

Here's the link to my previous build last year:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34064

Attachments

• IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,459
I couldn't get al the pictures to load the first time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 1,438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 1,438
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,438
Well I had the day off work and went to the store to get more rivets and angle iron. Dos a lot today in a few short hours. I finished bracing the front seat, and am about 95% complete with the back seat. Problem is I ran out of rivets again. Go figure. Anyway I got the back seat just about complete just need to put up the angle brackets for the seat mount and it's ready to be boarded up. I'm debating on doing sheet metal or wood for the top. Wood seems to be the way I'm leaning as it's cheaper in the long run. Anyway that's all for today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 1,341
So I have a question for everyone. Does anyone know where I would be able to purchase a marine grade plywood or water resistant/proof plywood?

You can use exterior grade plywood.
To seal it use a mixture of one part Boiled Linseed oil, one part Spar varnish or Spar urethane and two parts Mineral spirts.

Ok so it's been a while since I last posted and I've gone past my deadline I set for myself but here is the updates to my project. I finally finished all the wiring for the light bar, bilge pump, trolling motor and running lights. Tested it all and everything's great. I've got both seats installed have the hatches installed but not complete (still need to lay a piece along the bottom of the board for a lip to help stop the lid when closing). All the decks are secured down and ready for paint. Hopefully next weekend I'll have everything painted and ready to go. About he only things left to do is paint, install pontoons on both sides, and take it out on the water. Hope you all are enjoying the progress.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 965
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 965
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 965
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg