Bass Tracker III Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparrishbt

Reaction score
So, after my first 89 Bass Tracker Tournament TX, and my second 88 Bass Tracker Pro 17, I swore I was done with them. No more trackers. Well, I lied. After cruising the back roads and peaking around. I found gold, well silver. It lied in the guys front yard, I had the urge to go up and ask him, then all of a sudden I had a 17 ft Bass Tracker III behind me on the way home. Got it for $250. Came with boat, trailer, two brand new NAV lights, two 1 week old tires and rims plus a spare, good throttle and steering cables for a merc (free to whomever wants them plus cost of shipping). I already have a 4 year old Yamaha 20 hp lined up for it for next to nothing. Need to find myself a trolling motor, batteries, and cosmetics them we will be good to go. 20hp is a little small I know however I own a Ranger and this is my backwater and shallow river boat.

So here is my plan in the next couple of weeks. And all the things I am going to put on it.

-There are no decks, it is completely bare, so get all the dirt and crap out of the hull, sandblast the console, and put some either carpeted decks or decks coated with tuff skid, or whatever the non-skid stuff is.
-Get some seats in it.
-Batteries, trolling motor, led light bar for catfishing and early morning duck hunting and fishing, and switches and wires for all of that.
- Hook up motor and trolling motor.
- Then completely redo the trailer. I want to coat the trailer with either Harbor Freight bed liner for durability, or maybe something else? It also needs all trailer components. Lights, winch, jack, transom buckles, and hitch coupler. Just because I want worry free for a while I want it all to be brand new. Pretty cheap through HF and okay quality for a little tracker.
-Maybe a simple fish finder for temp

Attachments

• IMG_4576.jpg
    IMG_4576.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,365
Why can't I ever come across deals like this?!
I'm wanting just a used trailer alone and can't find them for that!

Well, it looks like he asked for it.

I always tell my kids that "you only get what you ask for, no more". It is true in jobs and relationships and lots of things.

Driving around and seeing a boat in a yard; stopping and asking if they would sell it.... would probably turn up an occasional deal like this one. Leaving your name and phone number with anyone who you talked to might spring a phone call a day or two later.

God knows how many unused boats there are in the world. Some people are too busy to bother listing and showing and all of that mess.

richg99

I stopped recently and asked about a VW 23 window bus with safari top that had a pine tree growing through it. I got a pistol pulled on me and while I was running back to the car he fired off 2 rounds. I guess it's how you ask or something because I definitely ask for that. LOL

Thanks guys. I couldn't believe the guy just had it sitting there and wanted nothing to do with it. Now I need some insight on possible flooring options. I am thinking either Raptor Liner by UPOL for a nonslip, easily washed surface, on the seating area, and carpet on the decks for cool feet while fishing. Or should I try something else? I am going to start cleaning it out here in the next couple minutes and planning. Already have wood and metal studs to get the process rolling. Also going to wait for a BPS sale to get my seats and fish finder.

Guess if I lived in Arizona, cool feet would be paramount.... however you can get them.

I presume that, if you've read anything here, you already know that the lumber should NOT be "treated".

Have fun with your project and welcome aboard. richg99

So got some progress done on the boat today. Pretty happy with the amount of work I got done. We cleaned it out real good. I have to say this was pretty easy since it is down to the bones. Vaccumed out all of the dirt. And then start putting some temporary decking in. Tomorrow I plan to look at the lighting situation. Im putting a mounted bow light that way I done have to worry about plugging one in, I just turn it on. Then of course a stern light. I have an 8 in led light bar that is going to go on the console. But for now the console isn't ready to go in and I still have a ton of work to do to get it water ready. I just want to get the wiring in place before I screw down the decks.

I think I am going to just carpet the whole thing to clean up some loose cuts. I have a graphics maker out of phoenix az that is going to replicate the orange decals on my boat for a fair price. Then seats and my cosmetics are done. After that, motor, trolling motor, fish finder, and hook up the electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_4578.jpg
    IMG_4578.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,120
  • IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,120
  • IMG_4582.jpg
    IMG_4582.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,120
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,120
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 3,120
Got a ton of work done today. Got the back deck cut out. Somehow I guess the foam swelled and made my back deck all crooked and tweeked. I was going to rip it all out and redo it. But, fishing season is on. We cut the plywood and got it to fit square with the boat. Got both of the compartments on the back deck cut out. Then started with the side panels we are doing with FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic panels). It looks super nice and I will get pictures tomorrow. I am putting FRP on the sides of the console area and on the bottom floor over the plywood. I have decided to get the Truck Armor Coating from HF. I used it in my truck and 100% love it. It's no linex but it looks good, and has no slip. And with the FRP it will have a lot more texture to it. On the decks, I am going to get carpet from bassboatseats.com. Kind off gives me cool feet for fishing, yet can throw a slimy catfish and ducks in the bottom of the boat, so best of both worlds. I will paint the Truck Armor the same color as the carpet to keep the clean look.

Good news on another note. Found myself a **** near brand new MotorGuide 55lb thrust trolling motor. Was new off of a tracker in 2001, then the guy replaced it with a bigger one after one year of use so it just sat. So for $100 and a trip to phoenix I have a troller :D . Not to mention Bass Pro is in Phoenix so I get to stop by and look for some seats.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 3,037
  • IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,037
Any input on folding seats from Walmart. Not the plastic ones but the ones that actually are meant for console steering and what not. I just picked up my bilge and aerator today so I have enough with that and the FRP to keep me occupied.

I was at sports academy the other day. They seem to have a better quality seat for about the same price as the Walmart ones. I've had one of the Walmart deals on my 8' bass hound, it's nothing special, but it gets the job done, I float around 210 or so and it hasn't broken yet.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I was thinking two cooler as seat boxes and then some cheap seats from Walmart or bass pro. I like the idea of coolers because then I don't have to worry about bringing another cooler for drinks. And one or the other can be used for storage or a dry box. No progress done the last couple of days. I picked up some stuff for the nonskid coating on the bottom. I am going to bed line the console when I get out of work today. Pics to come

So here is the trailer. My bunks are held on with banding material :lol: . Plan is after work to hit this thing with the wire wheel. Id like to strip it of everything and start new except the tires. I have transom buckles, new winch, wood for the bunks, and a jack. So I need lights, paint, and carpet for the bunks.

Attachments

• IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,920
Unfortunatly, I don't have any access to a sandblaster. However, I am thinking of bartering some old metal with the local high school welding class. I'm thinking if I give them some metal, they can have 10 grinders on that thing in a hurry. So I am going to head over to talk to the teacher tomorro and see what we can do.

On another note. I have Bedliner the console and have it the foam for the side ribs and put the frp down. I know I don't need all the foam, however it was more for backing behind the frp so someone doesn't kick a hole through it. I could only do the passenger side because I have to run the nav light wiring up front and possibly my light bars (depending on where they go).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,030
I've never tried it...but this item might be worth a try, assuming you have an air compressor of sufficient size. richg99

For twenty bucks....

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

image_13512.jpg

I've tried one of those and they lack power and capacity to do a trailer of this size. More for gold clubs, brake calipers, or small knock knacks. I am probably going to just get on it with a wire wheel today and see how much I can cut through. Little low on money due to AC problems on the truck. So I am going to make do with what I have for the time being. I have enough to keep me busy with all the wiring, plumbing, grinding, and siding for the console area I still have to put in. I've worked the past two nights so I only have a couple hours each day to work a little on it.