14' Mirrocraft - First build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnie

Reaction score
Hi, I have been a lurker for the past couple years and always very impressed with the work I have seen done on this site. I fish as a non boater in a local bass club here in Massachusetts. I have always depended on other people to get out on the water and really wanted something I could take out and prefish some of the lakes and ponds that we fish in the club. Last spring I acquired a 14' MirroCraft aluminum boat, trailer and 6hp motor for $500.

I used the boat a handful of times last year, but it always felt very cluttered and with a TM on the transom, the control in the wind was tough. I was constantly standing on the seats to fish, then jumping to the back to steer. Needless to say it left something to be desired. I decided to add a front deck and a bow mount TM this year. I have copied some other Mirrocraft mods I have seen on here.

The boat is a mid 70's MirroCraft F-4614. I haven't really found any info on the model. It looks just like the other MIrrocraft 3614's I have seen on here.

So far I have rebuilt the transom to match the original one, framed out the front deck with area for two storage compartments and built a recessed box for the TM pedal. I am using a combination of 2x3 and 2x2 with stainless or decking screws and 5/8" plywood. I wanted to use aluminum to frame, but after a trip to lowes i realized it was going to cost me about 4 times more than wood. I will be sealing with spar.

Let me know what you think, or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for looking

image3_zpsi7togbzx.jpg

image2_zpsy6t2wsym.jpg

image1_zpshkbzr0wp.jpg

transom_zps3mn5irgl.jpg

Hopefully I posted the pics correctly, if not I will try again

One follow up question since I am kind of just thinking things through as I go. Whats the best way to mount the TM in the front. I see some people cover the whole front of the bow with a small "deck" and some people just add a rectangle wooden bracket to the left hand side. Any concerns on stability with this?

Nice job, I have a Mirrocraft also that I am beginning to deck, they are great boats. I think as far as mounting the trolling motor, so long as it is secured well there shouldn't be any issues. There can be a lot of torque from them. When I mount mine, I plan to do like most I see and add a carpeted "mini" deck secured to the gunnel and possibly down to the deck to sure it up.

thanks for the reply. I had already built the mount the other way but after thinking it through I'm going to go with the mini deck. Just seems more stable to me. I'm having fun working on this project after work, it is addicting.

I had a couple hours last night to work on the boat so I decided to install the new transom I made. I am very happy with the results, it feels so much more solid than the old one and even looks kinda nice too considering I am a new to this.

I do have one question though. As you can see from my picture the aluminum drip cap that goes of the top of the transom had been cracked in half from the years of use from the previous owner. Does anyone have any suggestions on an affordable fix? I'm not against ordering a new piece but I have no idea where to look.

image_zpslmfsmmtz.jpeg

Got the second coat of spar on this morning. Getting close now!

Does anyone have any idea where I can order the aluminum cap for the transom? I'm looking online but striking out. Thanks in advance.

Look up sheet metal work on You Tube. You don't need expensive tools. A ball peen hammer, wood blocks, you will be amazed.

Looks good so far. I'm starting my 3614 build myself.

My transom drip cap has the same type of crack. I'm going to try some rod that let's you "weld" aluminum with a propane torch.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Great choice of using 14' MirroCraft aluminum boat. I also have the same choice like you. It's really fantastic and easy to use.

I got a little more work done this weekend. Cut the storage hatches and cut the TM mount. I also carpeted the storage hatches, the tm mount and the recessed TM pedal box. I wanted to practice on the small things before I carpet the main deck this week. I did make a rookie mistake, the TM plug will not fit in the recessed box with the pedal so I will be moving the plug to the deck. Not a huge error, but definitely something I overlooked.

I also just want to go on record, I have nothing but respect for the other people who have modified their boats on this site. My plan is a pretty simple one in comparison and it has been a TON of work! Good job gents!

Storage:
5F740065-94C9-4F03-9B91-228A4575F836_zpsnf7tjlxu.jpg

TM mount:
8532FCDC-CAE5-4811-A509-713247980F71_zpsdekwsh6b.jpg

One of the doors carpeted:
C659A22A-00BD-404B-888F-5CB4F38A3C90_zps1sihr9xw.jpg

Thanks for checking out my build,
Chris

I have been looking for a new out board to replace my 6hp long shaft evinrude that came with the boat, its too long and too slow. The boat is rated for a 25hp max. Does anyone know if boats this size with the mods and the added weight of a bow mount tm, batteries etc can get on plane with a 15-20? Also I was thinking I would like a 2 stroke, but a friend of a friend offered me a decent deal on a 15hp 4 stroke that is only 4 years old. I'm just looking for some direction before I commit to something and regret it. Thanks, Chris

A 20hp will get you on plane. A 15 might plow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the friend offered the 15hp I'd test it out on your boat! I would think 15 is enough. My 6hp planes my 14v

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got the front deck carpeted and installed. I also installed the TM plug and the recessed box. I still need to get the tm mount and th pedestal installed but it's starting to look like a boat. I have kind of neglected the back, I want to get out in the next few days and see how it rides before I add more to it. Let me know what you think.
C06D6481-8225-4D4E-922E-8CAB9E85D228_zpsznzun8wl.jpg

Love your boat. It's a more thought out version of exactly what I finished yesterday lol

Thanks Derek. I just checked out your post. I like the storage you built. Did you take it out yet? I Got the TM mounted last night.

B6689DAE-3A33-4020-8273-2EE9C91DA294_zpsitcb2uoy.jpg

I will be on Sunday. I'm getting ready to add my bow mount to it tomorrow night

finnie said:
Thanks Derek. I just checked out your post. I like the storage you built. Did you take it out yet? I Got the TM mounted last night.

I have a question as to why your trolling motor is mounted angled towards the left side of the boat. All the other one I see are angled to the right. Are you left handed and is it easier to lower and recover?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rednecknproud21 said:
finnie said:

I have a question as to why your trolling motor is mounted angled towards the left side of the boat. All the other one I see are angled to the right. Are you left handed and is it easier to lower and recover?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well thats a good question and I'm afraid I don't have a good answer. I followed the installation instructions and what I've seen on all the boats in my fishing club. pretty much all of the bass boats I have been on in the past couple years were on the left side. Im thinking it has to do with visability when driving the boat but I'm not sure. For me I guess docking with the TM clear of the dock will be a plus. I was supposed to get the boat out this afternoon for her maiden voyage, but my job doesnt look like it will be cooperating with those plans.

Latest posts