Build from scratch 18'×72"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josahall

Reaction score
I've always wanted to build custom boats. Ordered some metal should be here Monday. I have questions though. I want to build a multipurpose boat that can bowfish, crappie troll, lake and river fish as well as flounder and bay fish. Hoping to get some input and ideas. Boat dimensions are at this point going to be. 18 foot long 72" or 76" bottom 96" beam and 20" transom. Side depth depends on bottom width. Should I go with a flat hull or a modified v? Center console or stick steering? Of course I plan on Cost guard certification and this will be my personal boat/advertising piece.

I also am having trouble figuring the cutouts on the sheet to form vbow. If anyone can point me on where to find out how.

wow - big project.
in my world, I would already have a set of blueprints on the table
before ordering any kind of materials. Sort of like building a house:
ask all those questions before the concrete truck rolls up to the job site.
There are several good books on Boat Building and also Building Aluminum Boats.
Check amazon dot com. READ-READ-READ and READ some more on "how to build a boat".
Pogo's Boat.jpg
good luck !! anxious to see the progress

Well I've been planning this a long time. If I can't find the info and how to cut the vbottom shape I want, I'll make a flat bottom

Well I've been planning this a long time. If I can't find the info and how to cut the vbottom shape I want, I'll make a flat bottom

I love your enthusiasm. Very inspiring.

I'm a fan of research and learning from others mistakes. Based on that I feel it if were me I would exhaust the internet looking for plans that would help shorten the learning curve.

Along that train of thought give this website a quick look. I'm not saying this is what you want...but maybe it will ignite your research.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/17-1_2-Rogue-Runner-whitewater-sled/products/863/

Rob

I wish this site was more mobile phone friendly. May hinder uploads on the build

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-04-21-27-38.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-04-21-27-38.png
    188 KB · Views: 6,510
Something along these lines. I want the deck above bow to be flat not upswept

Attachments

• aweb_zps3405220a.jpg
    aweb_zps3405220a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6,509
Josa - go to your Big Box Store (Lowe's/Home Depot)
and get you a few sheets of the white PVC boards.
it is about 1/16" thick, firm but yet flexible enough to make you a pattern.
also get some of the really thick paper used to cover new floors with.
48" wide roll - some big pieces of cardboard, a bunch of 1/4" lattice, yada yada yada
Also, if there is a sign shop near you, see if they will you sell you some
1/4" Coro-Plast material. It is what they use for the roadside bootleg signs.
4'x8' sheets and very cheap. Especially if they have some used ones on hand.
It is like 1/4" thick plastic cardboard.
then, lay it all out on your garage floor, with a box of sharpie markers,
start on your pattern - duct tape sticks really good to the PVC sheet and paper.
hot melt glue will hold the wood lattice sticks and cardboard in place.
then, you can figure out how you want your bow to look and go from there.
let it sit for a day or two, come back and fine tune your pattern.
NOBODY here is trying to talk you out of your project !!!!
just trying to lend some knowledge to guide you in the right direction.
Remember - Rome was not built in a day !!!

and if I had an aluminum welder and the floor space, I would be doing the same thing.
- BUT - I would have gobs of books scattered all over the house on how to do it.
not figuring it out as I go along - my pockets aren't that deep.
And like Rob said, I would wear out the internet and YouTube on how
others have ventured into a similar project.

My father was a master of just about every skill there is.
He singlehandly built 4 wooden boats in his younger days.
One in particular was a 12' plywood V hull that he made a foldable
tent frame for it. He and my mother went up the St. Johns River
from Sanford, FL, across Lake Monroe up to Lake George, and actually
crossed Lake George which is several miles of open water..... To Welaka to restock the pantry.
Then, cut back across the lake to go up the Oklawaha River for a couple of days, then,
return back the same way. all this in a 12' homemade wooden skiff with
a 1948 Scott Atwater 10hp outboard motor. Only two seat cushions for life preservers.
My brother and I were only toddlers at that time so we stayed home with grandmother.
When we were about 10-12 years old, (in 1956) we all made the same trip again in another
14' (better built) wooden boat with a newer/heftier motor and it was a BLAST !!!
fishing, swimming and boating for a whole week !!!! You just can't get that in Summer Camp.

I hope that you can achieve the same satisfying results with your build
that my dad did with his. GOOD LUCK !!!

your "plan B" might be to find a hull that you really like.
chop it up and modify it to suit your needs.
Since you have the shop, tools, and equipment to make a boat,
modifying one may be half the work and twice the fun.

Attachments

• boat specs.jpg
    boat specs.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 6,487
Modifying someone else's hull is out of the question lol. I want to build as a hobby for other people too. I work at a papermill that makes liner board I suppose if I double it up that it will work. Hope to post progress in the next couple of weeks. I'm in Alabama so not too far from where your family started

The coast guard does not certify a homemade boat. It will get registered as 'homemade'. It can't be sold within 3 or 5 years, something like that. (keeps boatbuilders from skirting certification).

All that said, it is best to follow all of USCG rules. Mainly floatation on open jon boat.

Well, individuals have been building their own boats for a thousand or more years. Like many "inventions", I'll bet that each one was derived from some prior craft that the builder liked.

Then, the builder modified whatever the prior boat had, and made the new one "his own".

That is the method I would do. Thousands of years of boat design shouldn't be overlooked, IMHO.

Here are 3 different boat plan companies. I suggest you look through their offerings; find one that is close to your dream...buy the plans and then modify as needed and desired.

I built a 16-foot wooden dory some 25 years ago. I did the lofting and everything that those $5.00 plans called for. It was fun. It looked like the picture. It rowed OK....but...Until too late....I didn't find out that to be properly stable...I needed 300 lbs of ballast. That wouldn't work for the usage that I envisioned.

So, research; research; research ....before you cut a single piece of metal.

richg99

https://www.glen-l.com/

https://www.hartley-boats.com/

https://bateau.com/boat_plans.php?cat=28

As far as bracing and transom and height etc. I know all that. I worked with a boat builder at my previous job and we spent many hours going over the build. I just can not wrap my head around the cuts on a nice vbow. I have the paperwork for the mic license. I've talked to the coast guard 4 or 5 times. They've instructed me on what I need to do as far as certification. I don't plan on buying plans and modifying to suit my needs when I could just draw my own plans. I think the cardboard idea is best so far and that's what I'm going to do before I cut any metal.

I hope to start next Monday evening cutting metal. That will give me a week to figure out the vbow

okay - just for grins and giggles.

get you some 3x5 index cards, draw the basic V hull
that you have in mind. Then, mirror it on a card and
cut it out with scissors. Get some scotch tape - then,
your mind will comprehend the compound curves and cuts.
start playing from there.
if by chance you stumble on a winner, put some scale lines
on it and make the bigger one out of cardboard or something.
good luck !
V Fab.png

Johnny?

GREAT childhood story, and your Dad seems to have been a really neat father. I envy your childhood, or at least this part of it. Your Mom had some courage, as well. :)

This whole project fascinates me. I'll be watching.

Best wishes.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Latest posts