Casting deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud88

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum and I have seen lots about casting decks on Jon boats lately, I have '14 ft and I just want to find out how stable they are ? And if they are worth it thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/4 it's a dura craft not sure on the width I think a 36

Correction 14/42
dce6e37e628ed30960473cdd126f78ba.jpg

I have the same size boat.
A deck height even with the current bench height works great in mine. You're gonna want as much low floor space as possible to keep some weight low, so don't make the deck too big. I have a small one in front and also a deck from the rear bench seat all the way too the back. Lots of storage underneath both and great stability too.

Time to start the rebuild on this Duracraft model 1518

c31f32d15fc82fb763d65cd86277bf9c.jpg
had to cut corner braces to get the rotten transom out , new wood is cut and almost ready to go back in got a welder to weld everything up when wood is installed

I have a transom mount 50lb troller that was free and I want to mount it on the bow if any of got some ideas would be great I'm also gonna build a deck for the front and put a floor in

the 36 width will be the issue with stability. It wont be terrible if you keep as much weight as possible on the floor. As for the troll motor, Why not a side mount near the bow? Just an idea.

gunz said:
the 36 width will be the issue with stability. It wont be terrible if you keep as much weight as possible on the floor. As for the troll motor, Why not a side mount near the bow? Just an idea.
ok I'm gonna put a plywood floor with carpet as far as weight you mean like my gear or I'm gonna need to add weight?

Painted the trailer put the base on the boat. Gonna camo the boat . Next install floor seats and carpet

I pretty much have the same boat you do. 14' 36" wide off the bottom of the back of the boat.
I also have a 50lb transom mount on the front of the boat.
Only difference is that mine is flat across the front, I do not have to deal with the angles you do.
I am getting material together to put a longer, and thinner plywood deck on mine.
If I am happy with it, and it doesnt weigh too much I am going to deck the rear as well, from bench seat to the rear.
With it only being 36" wide, it is wobbly, but i have never fallen out, but i am somewhat agile, been close a few times though.
With two people you just have to make sure whoever is on the back of the boat stays in the middle and doesnt shift weight a whole lot, just use common sense and you will be fine. The boat won't flip or anything because of the deck, just sways a lot because of how narrow it is. I could not imagine fishing without the deck, pretty sure i would hate it.

Currently it has 3/4" plywood, i am going to use 1/2" since i will have more deck with my remodel, but i will need more bracing.
i only have a 6hp motor, so i will not be doing the floor, not sure what you are pushing with, but you might want to do the deck first and hold off on the flooring to check the weight.

I will put some pics on here so you can see how my deck was built, also i will show you how i plan to mount my trolling motor when i am done, i do not like the way it is mounted currently.

Ok, I think it should do fine with a floor also

Mud,

If you want to go to my feed in this forum it is JON BOAT DECK JOB, it should be close to the top of the forum.
I just posted a whole bunch of pictures of how the boat is currently set up, and I put some pictures of the current trolling motor set up, as well as what I plan on doing. I was hoping that I could use the rib that is currently under the existing deck, but it is on an angle because of the bottom of the boat. I am going to use 1/2 inch plywood instead of 3/4 inch so i need to figure out a way to support all of that space, hoping i can just run something flat from metal lip to bench seat. Kind of stinks for you that you do not have a rib to build a frame off of from your lip to bench seat.

I think if you do it right you will be really happy with a front mount trolling motor and deck, I do not understand how people can use one on the back of the boat, it absolutely drives me insane spinning in circles, sometimes when i am really shallow i have to take the prop out of the water, and i hate it because i get blown in circles. Fishing in a small jon boat feels much like you are fishing in a an empty can of beer on a windy day.

also take a look at this feed

LOWE 1648MV MAKEOVER (NEAR COMPLETE)

It is on the first page of the forum, he did a **** good job on his, looks like the front of your boat.

I al so need some advice on seats , I want camo seats , comfy but won't break the bank?

Latest posts