16 foot Hunting/Carp Boat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkhunter8383

Reaction score
Well I have decided to re-do my whole boat. It has served me well for as long as I've owned it (2010) but it's time to make it better. I bought it from a friend of mine and it was just a classic 16' Lund with an 18 horse Merc along with a few accessories. Once I bought it I sold the outboard and put a 25 horse mud motor on it and also built a carp deck for it and gave her a paint job. Otherwise I haven't done much to it besides some maintenance and a few random things. But after being on this site for awhile and doing a project last year on a 14' vhull I have decided that my rig can be much better. So here is what I'm doing:
1. Pulling EVERYTHING out of the boat and starting from scratch (floors, wiring, accessories, etc)
2. New carp set up, I am scrapping the deck and going to a light rail system made from EMT (may have some questions on this later)
3. Decking off from the front deck to middle seat, and putting in a few hatches, seats, and Hydroturf
4. Moving the switch panel and installing all new accessories (LED light bar, nav lights, courtesey lights, bilge pump, CD player, and fish finder)
The main purpose of my boat is for hunting and trapping, but that still leaves me with 5 months a year when there are no open seasons so I do a lot of fishing and carp shooting.

So here are a few pictures, starting with the old set up with the carp deck on, and after tonight when I have it stripped down to bare bones

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,707
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,707
Been getting some work done these past couple days. Took everything out of the boat and took it to the car wash and sprayed everything out. Then I started work on the motor and getting all my basic maintenance done before summer (oil change, air/fuel filter etc). I noticed my battery cables were starting to get worn, so I bought new ones to replace them. Unfortunately while tightening the positive cable to the starter I gave the wrench one more turn to snug it down and broke the solenoid so I had to buy a new starter, stupid mistake by me. Otherwise I got the new floor cut and treated, bilge pump installed with a new switch, and starting to install the LED courtesy lights. I will post pictures tonight of the progress

A couple pictures of fitting the floor and then treating it with Thompsons water seal.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 1,572
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 1,572
Got a decent amount of work done today. I got the front deck cut and stained, replaced a bunch of rivets, cut in a 6" access hatch and also cut in my switch panel. I also cut the extra floatation for underneath the floor, and put the new starter in the motor. The wood is currently drying before I'll finish installing it tomorrow. Then I'll hook up the trolling motor, LED light bar and navigation lights. I apologize all the pictures are sideways, not sure how to change that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,527
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,527
Ran into some problems today while working on the rig. I finished mounting my front deck, and laid out the nav lights, light bar, and trolling motor and unfortunately my light bar is too big and doesn't leave enough room for the trolling motor. So i will have to build up the trolling motor mount about 4 inches so it is taller then the light bar so I can stow/deploy it without blocking the light. I will take a picture of it tomorrow. Otherwise I got the light bar mounted, just need to run the wires.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,484
Yesterday I finished off the install of the front deck, put in a few floor panels, got the bilge wired (just need to run the discharge hose) and ordered battery cables for running from the battery to fuse panel and from the trolling motor to the battery. I used genuinedealz.com to buy the custom made 8 gauge cables. They will make any size cables at any length and add hardware and heat shrink for a very reasonable price. I got (2) 3' cables and (2) 12' cables in both black and red for only $40. I am very impressed with that website. One picture shows the conflict I have with my light bar and trolling motor. I need to build a bracket that's 4" tall to be above the light bar so it won't block the light and be easy to stow/deploy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,380
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,380
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,380
Haven't posted in a few days but I'm still chipping away on the boat. I started framing out the front casting deck, and have all the supports drying from the sealant. I made a trolling motor bracket out of steel angle (had that laying around for free so it will work for now). Also got the nav lights installed and wires ran to the fuse panel. My battery cables from genuinedealz.com came in so I was able to install the trolling motor plug and run the Troller wires in rigid and to the battery. I have the LED courtesy lights in and wires also ran to the fuse panel. The panel is not installed yet but now that my wire came in I'll be ready to. I am very impressed with genuinedealz.com I got (2)-10' 8 gauge wires in both black and red with a ring terminal and heat shrink on one end and (2)-3' 8 gauge wires also in black and red for fuse panel feeds with the heat shrink and ring terminal. Those 4 custom made cables cost just over $40 with free shipping, are professionally made, and arrived in 3 days. Of course they are all marine wire. I highly recommend that company to anyone doing a build for all their electrical supplies and I haven't seen cheaper prices (no I'm not a paid spokesman). Also for any of you asparagus lovers it is growing like crazy right now so get after it!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,291
Haven't been on here in a few days to update the boats status. I got the front casting deck finished, except I ran out of hinges for the last hatch so I have to pick up an extra one tonight. Otherwise I'm just waiting for the hydroturf to come in. Also I am ordering some pedestal seats from Springfield marine scratch and dent on the advice from some guys on here, but their website is down for maintenance until the 6th. The only big problem I have ran into so far is the LED courtesy lights I bought are junk. I bought a 4 pack of 12 inch strip blue LEDs on eBay and out of the 4 only one light actually works (my fault for buying cheap Chinese eBay junk, they were $12 with free shipping). So I will be buying some name brand reliable LEDs now. Otherwise the boat is coming along great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,191
Hydroturf came in yesterday so tomorrow after work I will try the install. I think I may be 1 sheet short so I will probably end up having to buy another sheet. But just looking at it out of the box I am very impressed. I bought the "B" sheets in black for $40/sheet. I was going to buy the camo sheets but just couldn't swallow the cost at $90/sheet. I've spent way too much on the boat already so I decided to save some pennies. Plus you are able to paint the hydroturf so when I redo the paint I'll be able to match it to the boat. I will post pictures tomorrow

Do you have a pic of how it was framed and more important how the framing was fastened to the hull ? Thx

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Latest posts