Tracker Pro 16 rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Picked up my first boat this week, a Tracker Pro 16 project with a 40 Mariner. After lurking for a couple days and stealing some ideas, I decided to jump in and share this project and get some insight from you good people. Struggling to figure out picture attachment here.

Picked up like you see it for $500.00

https://s448.photobucket.com/user/cwseals/media/20160516_105559_zpsngpsneci.jpg.html?o=1

https://s448.photobucket.com/user/cwseals/media/20160516_105646_zpseypmta2z.jpg.html?o=0

Decks are rotted out, but the hull looks good. The Mariner fires right up.

looks like a great project

to attach pics, just scroll down the reply page and you will see a bar across the page that says upload attachment, below that its self explanatory, if you can post on photobucket you can figure this out as I think its a lot easier

Nice lookin rig for $500. Check my build out. I only paid $250 but I didn't get a motor. I'm taking the hull of mine and making it into a utility type boat. Like the tracker grizzly. Good luck. Ask if you have any questions.

Making progress! Almost down to the blank canvas.

Attachments

• 20160601_190647_resized.jpg
    20160601_190647_resized.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,087
  • 20160601_190705_resized.jpg
    20160601_190705_resized.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,089
  • 20160601_190728_resized.jpg
    20160601_190728_resized.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,088
  • 20160601_191412_resized.jpg
    20160601_191412_resized.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,087
Looks much better already....:) Sad that it was left go to get that bad. Enjoy the revamp, you have a good start there....:)

Fire1386 said:
Looks much better already....:) Sad that it was left go to get that bad. Enjoy the revamp, you have a good start there....:)

Thanks! I've been having fun working on it already. I wanted to strip it down and start fresh. The way these boats are foamed is just terrible. I wanted to make sure I got all of the funky, water logged foam out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a 1992 Basstracker Pro 17 that one day I will be doing this for. I am the second owner, previous owner took great care of it, so it will be a while....:)

Ive got a 92 Pro 17 as well. Unfortunately, the previous owners took very good care of it so it'll be a while before I get to tear it down lol.

OP, heck of a deal! I'll be keeping an eye on this build.

There is nothing fun about trying to remove a nearly 30 year old decal.

8b2f7d1b32c79b9eab3818d45d65947d.jpg

Go to an automotive paint store and get a vinyl stripe removal wheel.

558d47b18cf27d84c40b430e896b81d7.jpg

Put it in the water for the first time to check for leaks and see what the motor would do. Dad took it for a quick test lap. Just a couple slow rivet leaks up front. The motor fired right up and seemed up to run great. I'm going to have to raise the console up though. I'm at least six inches taller than my dad.

Shoedawg said:
Some Rustoleum Aircraft Remover will help remove that crap too. Thats what I had to use to remove the crap on mine. Peals easy.

I need to try that. I tried a Permatex brand decal remover that did absolutely nothing. Acetone didn't get it off either. Surprisingly the blow dryer and some patience had been most effective.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

These are amazing. After using one you'll wonder why you ever removed any sticker in your life without one. No chemicals and it cleans the aluminum as it goes.

jethro said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

These are amazing. After using one you'll wonder why you ever removed any sticker in your life without one. No chemicals and it cleans the aluminum as it goes.
Picked one up today. It is pretty cool, but my drill batteries kept dying on me. I tried the hair drier again and it worked great. I was able to get most of one side off in three pieces within an hour. Doing it with the hair dryer is just as easy for me and leaves no adhesive behind.

If hair dryer works but takes a while, may try a heat gun. Produces more heat than a hair dryer. Not sure about the fumes from the decal being heated though.

Chance said:
558d47b18cf27d84c40b430e896b81d7.jpg

Put it in the water for the first time to check for leaks and see what the motor would do. Dad took it for a quick test lap. Just a couple slow rivet leaks up front. The motor fired right up and seemed up to run great. I'm going to have to raise the console up though. I'm at least six inches taller than my dad.

A better way to check for leaks is to fill the boat up with the plug in while the boat is on the trailer in your driveway. You can then look from underneath and find any and all leaks easily. I do this every so often since I run by boat in a shallow rocky river and inevitably hit bottom from time to time. 5200 works well to seal up small weeping rivet leaks.

$500!?!?! That rig, even in the condition it was in would fetch $2500 at LEAST here in the Northeast. Someone could make a good living simply flipping boats from other areas to New England.

Chance said:
jethro said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Picked one up today. It is pretty cool, but my drill batteries kept dying on me. I tried the hair drier again and it worked great. I was able to get most of one side off in three pieces within an hour. Doing it with the hair dryer is just as easy for me and leaves no adhesive behind.
You really need a corded drill with these.

Latest posts