18' Lund Alaskan Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz584

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been perusing the site for awhile and have gathered many good ideas from seeing all of the successful rebuilds that have been completed.

From that, I have a new to me 18' Lund Alaskan with a 2001 Evinrude 75hp engine. The hull is a 1990 and is all original currently. With that in mind I have now ripped out all of the waterlogged foam (all 260 lbs of it) and leak tested the boat, which revealed two small leaks. The plan is to redo the foam with closed cell foam and add a casting deck at the back 3 feet of the boat. New plywood flooring with vinyl, a livewell and various storage areas throughout the boat. The exterior of the boat I am planning on leaving until the winter, no need to waste time that could be spent fishing! Below are some pics of the boat original to where it is now, along with a blueprint plan I am hoping to follow.

Motor%20pic_zpsshywwjzq.jpg

original%20layout_zpsfjleggso.jpg

original layout

original%20layout2_zpsqayp6bpi.jpg

original layout

foam%20removed_zpsr2eiyyhk.jpg

waterlogged%20foam_zpsk2yqg6j7.jpg

leak%20test_zpsxx13jdue.jpg

boat%20layout_zpsorrlfg9h.jpg

Well, a little progress in the past couple of days. When removing the foam I noticed that each section between the stringers was waterlogged, after looking at the drainage it was quite obvious that while it would drain large amounts of water, small amounts would be trapped. To fix this I just drilled some small holes flush with the bottom to allow proper drainage.

drain%20holes_zpsj5tsgaek.jpg

After adding the drainage holes I decided to prime the hull and stringers while I had the foam out, since I hope to never have to do this again haha. It should provide at least some corrosion protection and was easy to do with everything stripped out.

painted%20stringers_zps9drvdw68.jpg

After the paint dried it was time for foam, I used closed cell foam from a local hardware store. I used 4 sheets of 4'x8'x2" which should provide plenty of flotation if I ever need it (hopefully I never will). Additionally I have an 800 gph bilge pump that I will be installing.

full%20foam%20install_zpszbdkbkeo.jpg

Each section between the stringers has 4" of foam.

Next came the transom area foam, which to put lightly was a huge pain in the ***. Each piece had to be shaped to fit properly, and each one was slightly different, so no jig system could be used. This is what I ended up with.

transom%20foam_zpsa8nnge5t.jpg

Thankfully, after adding the shield back on it hides the foam monstrosity.

transom%20foam%20with%20bracket_zpsn29mp3sj.jpg

I also picked up the ingredients to mix up some old timers formula to waterproof the wood once I get it cut as well as some 1/8" aluminum angle iron for framing out the casting deck. At this point it feels as if I may never finish and I've only just started haha.

Well, another busy couple of days has led me to update again. On the docket this time was cutting the flooring as well as the wood for the side storage areas. First I buttoned up the rest of the back end around the foam and then laid in the floor. It was quite easy as the back portion is actually just over 4' wide, which is perfect for a full sheet of ply and allowing some leeway for the vinyl that will be added. The front portion was quite simple as well, I just removed the carpet from the old piece and then traced the wood layout and cut it with the jig saw. In all the floor took a total of 3 cuts to finish, not bad!

floor%20install_zpsws2xaif8.jpg

I forgot to get a picture with the last piece installed, so this will have to do.

Next, the storage areas on the sides needed new wood. The old layout had no storage in the sides, but no foam either, they were just empty, wasted space in this model year. I decided to add as much storage as possible. On the left side at the back will be a 7' rod locker, to do this I need to drill holes the length of the foam in the sides and push some tubing into the holes. This will allow me to utilize as much of the space as possible. The other hatches will just be misc storage as needed.

port%20hatches_zpsxysupuwh.jpg

starboard%20hatches_zpshqlbanzt.jpg

hatch%20overhead_zpsuglpxt4e.jpg

After cutting the floor and the hatches I mixed up 4L of old timers formula and gave everything a liberal coating, with special attention to the edges getting a good coating. Now everything will need to cure for 3 days before hitting it with two more coats of just spar. During this time I hope to get the aluminum casting deck framing knocked out in the back as well as framing out the seating in the front. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to shoot them my way!

Looks like a great project so far.
I know everyone likes tubes for rod lockers, however I left the tubes out and can hold far more rods in the locker. To prevent the rods from getting tangled up I bought rod sleeves/gloves. They slide over each rod and prevent them from tangling with each other. Works great.

Keep up the good work!

Well hello to those of you that are still following along on my little rebuild project.

Today was a very very long day doing all of the vinyl for the boat (with the exception of the casting deck, which is yet to be built). This was a long, slow process. I used 45 mil dek-master vinyl and the dek master installation adhesive. On the exceptionally narrow pieces surrounding the hatches I used a spray adhesive instead for simplicities sake. All in all I think it came out quite well.

Also included in the pics are the aluminum frames that will form the bases of my seating area, a lot of time went into the design of the size and shape to try and make the best use of the space. On the passenger side I will have battery storage as well as tackle tray storage. The drivers side is currently to be decided, but likely the boat safety items and small tool box for emergency use. Let me know what you think!

vinyl%20install4_zps5dzbn5yv.jpg

vinyl%20install3_zpseg1bpu3p.jpg

vinyl%20install2_zpspkki8m5q.jpg

vinyl%20install1_zpsi3tk7xfp.jpg

looks real clean. Nice job!

Good idea for under the seat. Every boat has a finite amount of space and every square inch must have a purpose. Spend the time now configuring the layout and you will be greatly pleased with its performance. Don't forget to factor in space for passengers gear, tackle boxes, life jackets, rain coats, throwable flotation device w-rope, any rod holders, landing net, 12v accessory outlets, night lights, etc.. Imagine how you will fish out of the boat and where the gear needs to be, and where it can be stored near its intended use.

That boat has great potential and you are doing an awesome job so far! =D>

Well, more progress again, although it feels to be coming along quite slowly. Since my last post I have finished the aluminum framing for the seating area and cut the tops for the frames. I have also cut out the shape of the casting deck and the hatches for the livewell and access to both the fuel and oil tanks, along with the bilge area and drain plug. I have since coated all of the wood with old timers formula to start the waterproofing process. The large casting deck and hatch cutouts will require a fairly significant frame underneath, which will be the next thing on my to do list.

front%20frame_zpsaor8xoxs.jpg

front%20platforms_zpsg3hxnkkt.jpg

front%20platform_zpszyt8pstg.jpg

raw%20casting%20deck_zpsuzlbfn6v.jpg

raw%20casting%20deck2_zps6stiuovn.jpg

Well, more progress again. I have since installed the fuel tank and oil tank, installed the piano hinges on the three side compartments, waterproofed and installed vinyl on the casting deck and seating area and built in some battery trays under the passenger seat. I am pretty happy with how the layout turned out and hope it will fish 4-5 guys with plenty of room in this configuration.

vinyl%20install4_zpsqzn9nawh.jpg

vinyl%20install3_zpsjinhqew8.jpg

vinyl%20install2_zpsfsivvblo.jpg

vinyl%20install5_zpswejrvqmv.jpg

vinyl%20install1_zpsooqzpoy1.jpg

Next up will be to install the livewell, frame out the casting deck, install the seats and then begin running all of the electrical for the speakers and lights etc. First though, I plan on taking it camping this week to see how she sits in the water with all of the weight redistributed before I start cutting holes in the hull for water intake etc. Hoping to finally start lowering the working:fishing time ratio on the boat haha.

Well, more progress again. I have finished all of the framing for the rear casting deck and installed it. I used 3/16 aluminum angle for all of the framing and used about 50' to frame out the support for the deck. As the pictures show the blue cooler on the left will be plumbed as a livewell and the white cooler on the right slides in and out for drink/food storage when out on the water. I used it this weekend and it works perfectly for my needs, keeps the cooler out of the way and allows me to utilize space that would otherwise be wasted. Under the casting deck I have the livewell, 50L fuel tank, oil tank and the large cooler storage. I still need to make and install wood panels to cover areas under the seats and where the livewell is located under the casting deck. I had it out this weekend and comfortably fished five guys out of it as well as getting up to 49 km/h which I was quite happy with considering I had five full grown guys, a LOADED cooler (it was a stag party), 50L of fuel and two batteries. Next up will be the wood panel covers I mentioned as well as the four speakers and bluetooth amp as well as the livewell plumbing and bilge pump and all the wiring to go with it. It seems as though maybe the end is somewhat in sight!

casting%20deck3_zpshkwddbqi.jpg

casting%20deck6_zpsov6njsjj.jpg

casting%20deck1_zps2kjsngjy.jpg

casting%20deck4_zpsbl8ia2cu.jpg

casting%20deck5_zps7cfjfycd.jpg

casting%20deck2_zpscbqoxjqo.jpg

livewell_zpswqcw6z0k.jpg

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016, 15:29
Liters? Kilometers? ... WHERE the heck are you ;) ?

Looks REALLY great, LOVE the vinyl ... don't know why anyone ever uses carpet, I don't get it ...

I am actually in central Saskatchewan Canada, we don't use the same freedom units as you guys down south haha. I agree though, the vinyl really came out like I wanted which was nice, not too hot, not slippery and easy to clean.

Latest posts