14' 1976 Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echodolphin2005

Reaction score
I bought this boat used on craigslist for a simple boat to have some fun at some local lakes in NC. The boat is ok looking but needs some love and is on its way to full restoration. Here are some before pictures. So far the boat has been washed, Trailer lights replaced, and the outside cleaned with an acid cleaner.

I do have a question about painting. I have only used an acid cleaner so far with some light scrubbing but oxidation remains. How much effort do I need to put into removing the oxidation before priming and painting. Some advice here is very welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,085
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 5,085
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 5,085
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,085
I'm one that likes the patina that aluminum naturally forms.

It looks as good as any paint job I've seen.

VinTin said:
I'm one that likes the patina that aluminum naturally forms.

It looks as good as any paint job I've seen.

Yep I agree!

I did paint the part of mine above the spray rails just to dress it up a bit but I would be constantly fighting trying to keep the bottom up so I decided to leave it be

and I like it that way!!

20160612_084822.jpg

So it sounds like paint above the spray rails and the interior for looks...but not spray the bottom because I will be fighting a losing battle. Will sanding suffice for knocking down the oxidation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where are you located? It would be helpful if you put it in your profile.

mine does not have oxidation like yours does, maybe its the area you are from?

Sorry I don't have any advice for you on that

Both Pappy and I, and probably many others, have used Brillo pads, or the generic equivalent, to scour tin boats.

I did it on the 1955 Model A listed in the thread below (There are pictures); Pappy did it to his Alumacraft R. Once you get the water and suds cutting into the initial oxidation, it becomes smooth and relatively easy. It takes time, of course, and my old arms felt like wet noodles when I was done, but it shined up the old boat very nicely. Of course, every nick and scar of its entire life could be seen, but it was SHINY. :)

Oxidation is a constant process, so you will need to keep after it if you want the shine to be maintained. I believe that there was a product called "Sharkhide," used for pontoons, to shield the metal from the atmosphere. I don't know anything about its quality and durability.

Best wishes.

Attachments

• brillo cleaned hull 1955 Model A  Alumacraft.jpg
    brillo cleaned hull 1955 Model A Alumacraft.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 4,844
Will I will be doing some scrubbing this weekend along with some priming/paint depending upon weather and time. I will post pictures of progress!

e4c6726f988b7f6813b280ddaea4e7a5.jpg

I fixed the transom today and have the new one dry fitted with the motor mounted for testing. I am going to take it to the lake tomorrow and see if there are any leaks to be repaired while I am cleaning.

Added the Bimini top and tested the boat for water tightness. There was a tiny little spot that let in maybe one cup of water over an hour and a half.

7433512ac00cc5f06e27d7e827979606.jpg

The motor today was working too hard and will need to be upgraded. What size motor would you guys recommend for a boat of this size with three smaller people.

I use a 6hp on my boat. Two people and gear and a big wooden deck and it plows through the water without planing. With the way your boat us set up I'd say 8hp is about the low end of what I'd look at. For my use a 9.9 will be in the mix because of the restricted lakes around me, but I'd love a 15hp.

It should be noted that my 6hp before the deck planed out well with just me. Also, I love that the motor is pretty small and light and barely sips fuel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MSC[emoji768] 3 Bow Bimini Boat Top Cover with Rear Support Pole and Storage Boot, Color Grey, Pacific Blue, Burgundy,Navy,Beige,Forest Green available (Forest Green, 3 Bow 6'L x 46"H x 85"-90"W) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014P0FA9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kgTHxb1BJPZRJ