Building a cat boat from a jon or other row boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
At first I thought my idea mentioned above was "crazy"boat, hence the name. Then I did a search here and found I wasn't alone.

I always wanted to add some old water skis onto the bottom of a 12' row boat, one on each side along the bottom and 2 almost together near the bow towed in just a bit.

I figured the bow skis would be out of the water when up on plane for the most part but there in case of a heavier load.

Add 1 long shaft outboard between 10-20 hp and you should be flying along.

Then I read here we're guys weld on sponsons much like a regular catamaran, the only thing I'd like to do differently would to not have the sponsons flat bottomed but more like a race hull where they are always angled towards the outside of the boat.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? If anyone that has done something like this cares to comment on it being possible or impossible I'd love to hear from you.

I don't understand what your trying to do.
Do you mean a hydrofoil?

Sorry guys, no just measure 5" including ski depth and mount water skis to boat bottom.

Or add 5" deep sponsons or catamaran type extensions off the existing hull to give lift and gain speed.

Hope that better describes it.

I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but boats have been built for thousands of years. All sorts of modifications have been done. Some have been very successful.

By now, most iterations have been tried and either succeeded or failed.

It seems to me that what you are attempting is kind of out of the realm of "normal". I'm all for trying something different, but I suspect that you are going to need lots of money and lots of time.

Go for it. I doubt if any of our guys can help a whole lot. richg99

You might want to follow a proven design. If it is unstable at speed, you could get hurt when it flips. I would have no idea how to calculate the angles & loads.

This is a cat boat in the sailing world (not to be confused with a catamaran) . A Mono hull with the mast stepped way up into the bow. Originally designed, mid 19th century, as a tough work boat to handle the rough Cape Cod waters.

Attachments

• catboat2.jpg
    catboat2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 953

Latest posts