1542 Build - Mean Lean (and Green) Fish Fighting Machine!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy409

Reaction score
Hello! My first post here and thought I share with you guys my build that is currently going on. I have a 2011 Alumacraft 1542 with a 2011 Tohatsu 20HP 4-stroke outboard. I purchased this boat when I was in college studying engineering and its been a no-nonsense shallow water machine till now (boat+motor+4 seats). To show appreciation for my first boat, I decided to put some time into it and turn it into a even more capable vessel.

As shown below, I've previously experimented with different type of lights to see what I would like best, and decided first thing on this build should be fabricating a proper casting deck to mount many things! Hopefully, this will be the start of turning an everyday tin boat into a lean-mean (and green) fish-fighting machine!

n4tffxV.jpg

-The very first photo I took of my boat back in August 2012.
qGcLY8c.jpg

-Cheapest halos from Home Depot.
gpWULFa.jpg

-LEDs with frame made out of PVC

To build the casting deck, I started out by welding the frame out of 2x1 aluminum tubing and tried to keep everything strong yet light as possible. This was the first time I ever tried welding, and thankfully I was blessed to have a good friend who has a complete TIG setup in his garage who could take over once I realized I am not very good at welding lol. I thought as an EE, with experience at soldering under a microscope would help, but boy was I wrong. With his help we were able to make good progress however!

3flz9Hc.jpg

LhX9M9P.jpg

6vzid4L.jpg

z4deggC.jpg

UJ7de1M.jpg

Once we finished up welding the sheet metal onto the casting deck's frame, we started cutting out a space and removing the middle/rear bench foams to put in an access hatch for battery/storage. Going from 4 seats to a single captains chair to accommodate the hatches. To support the benches for standing and seating, we braced it with left over 2x1 tubing underneath. Even with the holes cut out, it should be stronger now. I am still deciding if I want to turn the middle bench into a built in live well or a dry storage... TBD I suppose.

Next, we test fitted the captain's chair with a 7" riser underneath in order to see over the front deck. However, it was too high and top my head would get in the way of the bimini top. Instead used a plastic swivel seat mount (yay for no more rusted ball bearings!) and I think the proportions look better.

s7QdXwd.jpg

sE9a8cF.jpg

After the holes were cut and we were happy with how the hatches looked, it was time to prep all of the flat surfaces (casting deck, middle bench, and rear bench) to install the traction mat. Started by removing the paint, rough sanding, and final acetone wipe down. Decided on using Gray Wishbone pattern from Blacktip Jetsport and used 2 of their sheets purchased from Amazon. Mint!

ZbBAeiS.jpg

I7FYkYV.jpg

IYO3HLD.jpg

Q4dAOfd.jpg

GkNG0tV.jpg

Next, we got the trolling motor mounted, Minn Kota Riptide 55lb, and its now back in my garage. Next will be deciding what type of fishing/gigging/bow hunting lights to mount, interior accent lighting, and fabricating a cooler rack with rod holders, shallow water anchor, etc. But first thing first is taking the boat out and testing the new deck!

Something for you to watch, I made a time lapse of the build thus far using GoPro, check it out!

[youtube]Sby7llYJOZw[/youtube]

OMZrHIt.jpg

LBnJK1i.jpg

KFMmED2.jpg

m7b1RZx.jpg

Thinking about whether I should go with LEDs or HPS for the boat. I personally like LEDs because of I can run them quietly which makes for night fishing a blast (also I already have 10 of them so it wouldn't cost me any extra money...). But on the other hand, HPS are much better for gigging. Decisions decisions, maybe I'll do both! :LOL2:

In the meantime, I did install two flush mount rod holders in the back for trolling and bottom fishing when anchored.

3gOF73t.jpg

uncndl1 said:
Nice build, great video. Have you been out on the water yet?[BEER MUG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't been able to put her in the water yet. Its been raining non stop for a week and if it keeps up I might be able to launch out of my backyard.. :shock: But I suppose I have other things that I can work on in the meantime and I'll keep posting it here as I go. I made a run to Academy today and picked up some LEDs for interior lighting.

Got a lot done over the weekend. I decided to go with LEDs for the boat over HPS. Here is a full list of LEDs that will be installed on the boat.

• 10 Flood lights
  • Navigation lights
  • 5 Compartment lights
IeckzHS.jpg

py0dQkv.jpg

For the flood light installation, I started by cutting 1/2" schedule 40 PVC tube every 2" to make spacers. Reason for the 2" spacers will be revealed below once the lights are installed.

WGBOK5t.jpg

But first LED navigation lights are installed. Very bright!

jogqnkV.jpg

With the 2" spacers, I used stainless steel bolts with locking washers and nuts to install the lights. Took a little massaging for the first one, but the rest fell in pretty quickly after that.

7Ialoak.jpg

iP45L1z.jpg

4NqjTHp.jpg

LYfhr0Y.jpg

The 2" riser serves dual purpose. First is to lower the lights so that they would not be partially covered by the casting deck frame. Second is when the lights are not in use, they will fold up into the deck to reduce accidental damage and minimize salt spray for prolonged life.

bMGuTPM.jpg

After the flood lights, individual compartment lights were installed. For the middle compartment, I decided to install a larger LED strip to assist rigging at night.

NZicMvT.jpg

UEuqaIv.jpg

FNm9kIX.jpg

hsiLWdE.jpg

Here is how they look with all of them on. Switch panel and actual wiring of all the lights will be next.

IX0jZeJ.jpg

TcN2Knt.jpg

For today I got finished up on fabricating a switch panel for the LEDs. I had a few SPST switches already and decided to repurpose them with a small hatch that I've been using as dry storage. The hatch should also allow for a cleaner wiring as I will drill and grommet two holes for input and output wires and the rest will be hidden in the hatch compartment. Only thing now is waiting for the marine wires to arrive in the mail. Oh and labels for the switches at some point! :mrgreen:

GFj8T31.jpg

VKjZnH4.jpg

uH6dBf2.jpg

bBJLqq6.jpg

Qbt718M.jpg

On another news, purchased shallow anchor poles (white one is for a friend) and tied a loop on each pole to minimize stress and pre-maturely breaking the plastic t-handle.

8BCl9DE.jpg

HhMvguf.jpg

Decided to pull the trigger and update the trailer as well...
Picked up a clean galvanized McClain trailer that should last forever! It currently has vertical bunks and will be converted into horizontal bunks.

U5nwPaB.jpg

TXwy0vR.jpg

EiQbA7P.jpg

For the boat, the next task is to fabricate a cooler rack (in addition to finish wiring). Currently the gap between the middle bench and the casting deck makes for a large awkward step, especially if the boat is rolling. In addition, given that space is a premium on the boat, the rack will also serve as an ice chest, step, and rod holder.

I give you... a slightly used 65qt Yeti/deck step for half the price! Craigslist for the win!

IMagZ32.png

Continued progress being made and I had the chance to take the boat out and take one of my friend and his kid out fishing for the very first time. Initial assessment is that the boat is better balanced on plane due to the heavier bow weight. Previously, outboard, gas, batteries, and 2 people made the stern too heavy. On the flip side, however, its starting to cavitate slightly at WOT and I am thinking hydrofoil/caviation plate will help with the issue.

On the fabrication side the cooler rack/rod holder is almost done and all that remains is to prep and paint. I wanted to design the lightest rack possible, and as a result, you can lift the entire thing with only a pinky!

trvE33C.jpg

zAB4gsv.jpg

jBrSqG0.jpg

zA0Geyg.jpg

K4wREtS.jpg

ePsj4oL.jpg

On the electrical side, wiring is almost done and all that remains is organizing the conduits and switches.

GNDroEJ.jpg

owV9M6l.jpg

With his first fish ever caught and already asking when we can go again!

FlYvJhY.jpg

Man, what a beautiful, technical, build. Great job!!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Latest posts