Homemade Transom to Bow Mount Trolling Motor Bracket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwb85

Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first post so bare with me. In Feb of 2016 I bought my Tracker Grizzly 1754sc with the 60hp Mercury 4stroke. I struggled with drilling holes in my new boat and with limited funds after the down payment couldn't justify the almost $200 difference in troller just because one was made for a transom. So below are pictures of what I did to remedy it to get me out into the stumps of the local lakes where I fish. Please feel free to comment and ask questions!
62f12a30bb0d705309a16564d4b27296.jpg
5024f3131804f71d806af7de7b928536.jpg
e9827f042ae55f8ba56f268a103165fe.jpg
a009b0d2d6de4de8a8b627a91590b372.jpg
672598dc939f84b9f65f2aab1c5787bd.jpg
bf55c9344f1c8d26cb422b64d8a14146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

!!! You did such good job with painting it to match that I had to look for a while to even see where the new DIY bracket was.

Very well done, and better than a couple of brackets that I cobbled together over the years.

richg99

richg99 said:
!!! You did such good job with painting it to match that I had to look for a while to even see where the new DIY bracket was.

Very well done, and better than a couple of brackets that I cobbled together over the years.

richg99

Thank you!

I knew what I wanted to do but it racked my brain and that's what I came up with. I installed it back in April and it's worked like a champ with the 36lb thrust that's on it and scoots the boat pretty good.

If you look closely it's got 1/2" rubber washers between the bow and the mount which has proven itself several times when I smacked a big stump.

overboard said:
Great idea, nice use of a roller bracket =D> !

Thanks! All the hardware only costed me maybe $40 and it's a much cheaper solution than others I've seen.

Very nice =D> May do the same on mine. What did you use or how did you attach it to the bow?

misunderstood said:
Very nice =D> May do the same on mine. What did you use or how did you attach it to the bow?

As you saw I used a simple 5" roller bracket from academy. trimmed down a block of wood to fit in there snug then used 3" x 1/4" galvanized lag bolts to secure it.

Once I got that complete I threw my motor on it and marked 4 holes for my bolts. My bolts were 1/4" grade 8 stainless bolts. From top to bottom it went:

Bolt
Stainless fender washer
Bracket
1/2" thick 3/4" around rubber washer
-deck which included 3/4" plywood directly under it
1/2" fender washer
1/4" lock washer
1/4" stainless nut

I snugged it down fairly tight. Tight enough to where the rubber washers squeezed down creating a good seal but loose enough to allow the bracket to slightly move. That way, the mount not only absorbs any vibrations from the motor but allows a little more give should you stump bump with your troller.

I've probably made a good 60 trips with it and hit numerous stumps and haven't had any issues out of the bracket.

The only change that I might suggest is to substitute a sandwich of exterior plywood in place of the 2x4. A 2x4 can split if left in the rain too many times.

Nice job! richg99

richg99 said:
The only change that I might suggest is to substitute a sandwich of exterior plywood in place of the 2x4. A 2x4 can split if left in the rain too many times.

Nice job! richg99

I agree, this was just a mock up that turned into a finished product. What I really wanted to do is weld a solid piece of aluminum or galvanized steel in place of the wood. I may do that in the future, as for now it's holding up pretty solid!

Actually, I think wood, whether plywood or solid, makes for a much better "grabbing" surface for the clamps. Metal has no "give" and could be too slippery. Just MHO.

regards, richg99

I agree now as well... my brother and I were fishing on his 14ft and he had a welded metal bracket on the front, we hit a stump and it shifted the motor to the left and i thought that thing was going to fly out of the water!