1448 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papigslayer24

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input on a build I'm working on. I purchased a Jon boat a few years ago that someone had already done some work to. After fishing it for a while I decided to gut it and build it the way I'd like it setup. I'm planning on use oak 2x2 and using angle aluminium to make brackets to rivet to the boat for the deck support to make my casting deck. I will try and get away with 1/2'' plywood for the decking. not sure if I want to use carpet or vinyl yet. I wanted to use aluminium but it just seemed to pricey. I plan on coating all of the wood in Johnson's water sealer. I have a lowrance hook 9 I will be installing up front. I plan on installing a 2 bank on-board charger. Also i would like to recess my trolling motors foot pedal. Before I dive into the supports for the decking any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,684
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,684
Welcome!

Nice wide platform you working with. Only tip I can give you is if your going to use wood for your decks, don't use pressure treated lumber, use a good exterior BCX and treat it with the ole timers wood sealer formula (use the search function I'm sure someone has posted the recipe), it will last you many years. Pressure treated lumber has chemicals in it that will eat your boat over time no matter what you coat it with. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the the advice! The 2x2s I got are cedar and not pressure treated. I was planning on using Johnson water sealer on the wood but if the recipe your talking about works better I could look into that.

The Old timers formula is...
One part Boiled Linseed Oil, One part Spar Varnish or Spar Urethane and two parts Mineral Spirts.
You mix up as much as you need.

Got some work done today. I ended up using aluminium for the deck support...

Attachments

• boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,506
Looks like it will be a good layout. Is that a livewell you're putting in?

I would try to steer away from wood as much as possible

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

In my past builds, aluminum was cheaper than wood after figuring in the painting supplies and sealer. A 4x8 sheet of .125 aluminum near my house is 47 dollars. .125 1x1 angle is about a dollar a foot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I did end up going with aluminium. I used 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8'' angle aluminium for the deck support. I got some work done today. I have to put in a few more support pieces then I should be done with the deck support. I plan on finishing that on Wednesday. Then I will start the electrical. I'm putting in an on-board charger, fish finder, and running lights. I will be putting foam in as well. Any recommendations on what foam to use would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,445
  • boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,445
almost done with the deck support....

Attachments

• boat 6.jpg
    boat 6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,383