1971 Alumacraft Model A

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie12

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I had an old Alumacraft boat that I purchased when I was a teenager, and I sold after college because I wasn't using it and I needed the cash. Well, I've since regretted it and wanted to get a similar boat to what I used to have. I accomplished that and picked up this 1971 Alumacraft Model A for $250.

I picked it up last summer and took it out a few times just to make sure there weren't any issues that needed to be addressed (i.e. leaks).

Here are pictures from when I picked it up and while working on the trailer:
IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

The trailer was in rough shape. Very rusty and the bunks were rotted out. I grinded off all the old paint, rust, and replaced the bunks. I re-wired the lights, replaced the coupler, and repacked the bearings. Lastly, I applied two coats of Herculiner to hopefully be durable for a few years. I hadn't used Herculiner before, but it seems like it is working well.

The next project was to Steelflex the bottom of the boat. I put on two coats and am happy with how it turned out:
20161008_165402.jpg

20161008_174722.jpg

As the weather is warming up, I am getting ready to keep moving things forward. The eventual goal will be to wire in lights, and put in seats and storage compartments...i don't plan on decking because I'm concerned about the stability. The next two items will be painting above the water line/inside the boat and replacing the wood on the transom.

I was looking for advice in these two areas:

1) What is the best wood to use for the transom? I've seen mixed responses through searching the forums

2) For the rest of the boat paint, if I sand with 80 grit, wash with some/water, and then use a self etching primer before spray painting, will that be enough for strong adhesion? The last boat I painted already had paint affixed to it.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Never use Pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat. BCX plywood is good for the transom, search the site for "Old Timers Formula" it's a home made sealer that works good.
80 grit might be too ruff.

i had a very similar boat that I decked over the benches. It increased the stability if anything because it's a single flat surface that you're not worried about tripping over.

Latest posts