1989 Tracker Magna rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyiannotti

Reaction score
Bought a 1989 Tracker Magna with a 60hp Mariner outboard. Runs great but needs lots of love. This is my first boat so any input will be appreciated. I got her last year and built a new front casting deck, installed a new Lowrance elite 7ti and motor guide xi5 24v trolling motor. She did great last year and caught lots of fish. Looking to upgrade the flooring which was rotted out, add a fish finder to the front deck, find a home for the trolling motor batteries, rod storage and tackle. It's going to be tough to make it through my wish list but I think if I can get creative, it can be done. Also I have a 6 month old son and a wife that still likes me at home so $$ and time are at an absolute premium. I am attaching some pics of the floor after I ripped the carpet off. I will be sure to take more pics and post as I go. Also this rebuild is meant to last a few years, not forever so I'll be taking some shortcuts. It is a fishing boat and need it to be on the water, not my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,398
I have the wood up and getting ready to replace. The foam looked good from the samples I took so I won't be replacing it. Can I fill the boat with water to check for leaks with the foam still in or do I need to remove it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scratch that last dumb post. After some more investigation, found soaked foam and ice buildup in the bow. This just turned into a total gut job[emoji35]. Figure I'll take apart the whole inside minus the consoles, check for leaks and replace everything. So much for early fishing... worst of all I need to wait for all the ice to melt before I even get into it.

3860eaa620fffdf8b620dec4fc0442bd.jpg
a5f062c602a38b3f053ab0ac7f4dbc86.jpg

So had a few hours to work today so I had a chance to tear apart the bow section down to the foam. Still can't get the foam out due to ice but it's coming along. The plan is to get all the foam out, clean the inside of the boat, do a leak test, seal any leaking rivets, gluvit all the seams and rivets on the inside, and re-leak test. Really glad I decided to take the time to tear it down and do it right. Almost seems easier than trying to figure out shortcuts. Plus now I am able to add storage and put things where I want them.

So I'm looking to add more storage along with a rod locker. Anyone know what size/power/length lift supports I would need for a locker hatch about 36x12 made from 3/4 plywood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cf72674b871f52c5b11e84ecd66d34c3.jpg

I am going to put some tackle storage in the stern. This would cover the opening in the back. I am using nautolex flooring for ease of cleaning and prevent hooks getting stuck. Should I put a couple drains in the floor or not worry about it?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's going to suck but needs to be done. Still don't know if there is drainage between the stringers going to the bilge. If there is I'm sure is clogged with crap. Replacing it with the HD rigid foam boards minus the side areas. They are going to be additional storage also.

714be8b8f67aa92d4cda4731cbd25b42.jpg
7b2d7087cdc507a78174b4432376fb8f.jpg

Had some time to do some work today. Got as far as I could. The remaining foam is still frozen solid so I'm going to wait till it thaws to take it out. What a miserable experience that was hahaha. I was amazed at not only how heavy and soaked the old foam was but also how much dirty water was in/under it clogging up the drain holes. There must have been several hundred pounds of extra weight being carried around. No wonder I was having trouble getting her up on plane last year. I guessing the weight limit was maxed out as soon as I stepped in it.[emoji51]

e06e7edbb463d07ced965aa93b9f44c6.jpg
a5f7583c9bba507845c5f72b1ef7a66b.jpg
fa1493a307f5b1c6d4dd59a8da1e98ba.jpg
d229626d2f653adde02f4de5f4159317.jpg

Started working on the decking today. Got all my pieces cut and prepped for sealing. Also built my center rod locker and lid for the TM batteries. Moving the TM batteries to the floor at the rear of the rod locker for better weight distribution and close to the TM and charger. Didn't get to the rest of the foam taken out but at least it's thawed out. Hopefully some time this week. I'd like to seal the wood and refoam this weekend. Pressure is on, walleye opens in less than a month.

Man I feel your pain. On the soaked foam. I defoamed my boat and building way to seal the new pour in foam better. To keep water out of it. And to drain better. Looks good so far.

You're off to a nice start with some desirable modifications in mind. Magna's are versatile multi-species boats. Looking forward to more on your build.

:shock: That looks like a major project, and looks like you are fully capable of doing it from what you posted so far.
Keep posting Pics., that will be a nice boat when you are done. Just remember, no pressure treated plywood, that's been mentioned on here many times.

c82d7883ab47c9997bfd069d433ac650.jpg
d60869ac9d4cdc364ee8cb0b08f85a65.jpg
487c46657fb082192f6e58a5daf35d4b.jpg

Had a great day today thanks to my parents and Aunt and Uncle. Managed to get the foam replaced and the nautolex layed on the deck boards. Forgot to take pics when I FINALLY got all the old foam out. After that I used Gluvit to seal the inside of the hull. I miscalculated the nautolex and need an extra yard to cover the rod locker lid and front compartment lids. Other than that it's done. Used 2 coats of spar urethane and added a coat of flex seal to any side not being covered with nautolex. This week I need to install the new decking, clean up and seal the old screws on the transom. Install the transom mounts and transducers, run new power to bow for FF and USB charger, ram mounts for FF's, and dial her in for my opening day walleye/pile/trout tourney May 6th. Less than 2 weeks.... yikes.

Latest posts