The V-boat project I don't have a clue about

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lap202

Reaction score
So I just got a V-boat from my dad. It has no title, I haven't even seen the boat in person yet, and no experience at all comverting boats.

But am over excited about the project and decided to start it off on here.

a83a203172f9a827fe95006251f6e074.jpg

9519c3a76120b5c32fc5a6cdb72ca2fb.jpg

The boat has spray paint on it but was not properly prepped so my first plan of action is to take stripper to it and get it back down to the aluminum.

Once thats done ill probably fill it with water and snug up or weld leaky rivets so the bilge that will be in the bottom wont work overtime.

Heres my designs (theyre a little rough)

As it sits
8fe182bcaeaee8903d95985042c9149e.jpg

Phase 1 will be putting the front deck o
9aef381c3ea33df67f59e057580fc18d.jpg

Phase 2 will be the floor inbetween the front deck and rear bench
a867be93964adb4393986a36d4bfb825.jpg

And finally ill cut my compartments.

Option 1, ill leave the entire back compartent as a hinged piece that comes up.
3b8fa423cdfe41a62da980eb9c2bba91.jpg

Or option 2, ill cut 3 compartment doors in the back to section it off.
6e2913a84b7b358020e34c928cd555c5.jpg

Looking forward to your advice on my designs and suggestions to make this a functioning fishing boat!

Features i hope to add as of now:
-Bilge Pump
-Legal night lighting
-Power outlet for charging my phone/camera
-LED Deck lighting

Can only do updates on weekends so this will be a slow conversion, but will start on it tomorrow or saturday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Was thinking about building in a little more storage on the left like this. Does that look a little off set?

abadc05280fe917d6bc80f470add4636.jpg

Before spending any money be sure you can title or register the boat in your name.
The gunnel to transom corner caps look like a Wards Sea King. Can you post a picture of the inside of the transom? The shape of the knee brace if it has one can be helpful in identifying the boat.

Will get photos Friday or saturday. I believe if i go to the DMV and say its been sitting in a junk pile on my parents land i can get it titled fairly easily

I can only tell you how it is here in Ohio, maybe different for your state. Check the boat for a HIN tag, I have usually found them on the transom area some where. That HIN number will allow the DMV to locate the old title. If it does not have an HIN number, then in Ohio, the DNR (division of natural resources) will have to inspect the boat and then issue what you need to go get a title from the DMV. Now in Ohio this is for boats 14 feet or longer. Under 14 feet I believe can have a bill of sale...no title. I had an old v bottom that was actually 13' 6" and I had it for years and only had a registration paper for get new license every 3 years. I went to sell the boat 2 years ago and found this out. The registration had it listed as a 14 foot boat so I had to have the DNR actually measure it and confirm it was 13' 6" so the registration could be corrected. The DNR officer stated it was usual for manufacturers to round up the measurement to the nearest foot. I was lucky and an officer lived fairly close to me and instead of driving 45 miles to nearest office, he stopped one day after his day was over and did the measuring and then mailed me the documents...:)

How important is it to center the weight in the boat. I want to throw 1 battery in to start, possibly 2 in the future. If its an issue ill have to design the batterys to be more center instead of in the back like originally planned

It's probably better if the weight is centered or otherwise balanced out and you may want to put a lot of it forward to balance your own weight. It looks like a 14 ft and it'll be sweet when it's all fixed up. Then you may catch two-foot-itis like me.

Its pretty shallow compared to alot of the conversions ive seen, but figured it wouldnt hurt to try [emoji14]

Was able to find a HIN on the frame in my quick stop to look it over. Will definitely replace the wood on the boat as its rotted out in the 17 years since its been tagged.

And heres the motor.
e13f3f8250e5c9be7ddb730fa22fe9fd.jpg

how are you all choosing the structural supports in the various mods seen here? i know nothing about how to choose and only assume some form of aluminum channel is used. id be very happy to know what size and thickness if there is a standard.

From what ive been told, 1/2" ply is sufficient for the deck. I was thinking about using 2x2 for the supporting frame

thank you. thatbwas helpful, but i was seeking info on the aluminum these folks use to build the structure of the platforms they are making.

This is my first build so really have no idea what everyone is using so hopefully someone else gets an answer. I am on a tiny budget so I believe Ill have to use wood as aluminum is probably spendier.

UPDATE
Since I haven't actually done anything, I haven't posted any progress pictures.

So today I went ahead and did a clean up job on the outboard, which probably had dirt from 1990 still on it lol.

84e884c59b7be383def977f9ddc48404.jpg

Going to take a magic eraser to it and maybe a little bleach and see how much more white i can get to show.

Monday the outboard is getting dropped off at the mechanics to get the carbs cleaned and seals replaced.

Tuesday I will be talking to the DMV with what numbers I have to see if there is anyway to figure out the title so i can start decking it.

So here is my electrical layout.
b8e0aae931d3cf2af9c6488af22c5752.jpg

For the audio system, im taking a cheap bluetooth speaker kind of like this one.
817fe12d290a8243a187d8287ce80f5a.jpg

Gutting it and making a box that is carpetted to match the boat.
f53d8cbf879ab9f442eaeb13d2109d5d.jpg

This gives me the ability to put a sound system in my boat for under 30 dollars. Will need to be charged up before the trip and will also have a poweroutlet on the boat to charge it.

I plan on having mounting hardwarebon the bottom so it will attach on the back left, but be detachabke so if im fishing up front i can move it up there with me.

UPDATE
After consulting with you folks on the forum, I am considering dropping the project due to the boat size not being ideal. I have a longer aluminum i may be able to snatch and deck, but until i license the boat and do some tip testing, i probably wont be tossing a casting deck on it. Still plan on the back and middle floor as of now

Latest posts