My new Cadillac Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Tin Boat folks!

I'm new here and just bought my first boat so any help is appreciated. I would like to get some ideas for some modifications if anyone has ever had this type of boat or something similar. Also, if anyone can help me confirm that it is a Cadillac boat (not affiliated with the car company) from the '50's I would really appreciate it.
Mods...First, It is about 15' 6" long and about 5' 6" wide.
1. One thing I really DO NOT want to change is the "covered bow". That unique style is something that really attracted me to the boat and even though I will lose a little length, I want to keep it intact. Maybe storage underneath??
2. Over the next 6-8 months I would like to potentially add some rod lockers, additional storage and eventually a side mount steering. So, ideas on that are appreciated.
3. The main thing is the floor...I like that it is aluminum and has square aluminum tubing supporting it, but I'm concerned about slipping when it get wet. Any ideas about whether carpet or vinyl is best?
4. And...Has anyone used foam board or other ways to add into/under the existing floor?

That's it for now...I've attached some pics, so let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Fishin' Commish

Attachments

• Boat Bow View.png
    Boat Bow View.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,332
  • Boat Floor.jpg
    Boat Floor.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,332
  • Boat Side View.jpg
    Boat Side View.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 1,332
One advantage to carpet is that sand does not tend to bounce off the floor and spray in your face when you are at full throttle and hit the waves. Also it's obviously more comfortable on the feet. The vinyl is WAY easier to keep clean and looks better longer and doesn't stay wet. The ultimate is vinyl with a snap out carpet. For a real fishing boat, vinyl is superior.

I too am a big fan of marine vinyl over carpet. FWIW I sold my 16’ tin boat when she was 20-years old, 2nd owner boat & always taken care of, and the vinyl flooring still looked nice! All I see in older carpeted hulls is ratty looking carpet coming apart all over ...

Some here use foam blocks to replace floatation foam they take out, so many ideas on here, we’d need to see the space you’re talking about modifying.

Nice rig, love that bow deck!

Thanks DaleH and Jethro!

I just took the floor up today to see what is underneath. It's interesting..I'll try to get a picture out soon. Need to get it all cleaned up. Someone put in the square aluminum tubing and most of it is welded, but he also put a bunch of brackets, most are rusted along with the screws holding them. So, gotta take those out next. Do you think I should get some angled aluminum to help brace some of the framing where he put the brackets, and use pop rivets? I'm thinking of adding a little more anyway because it looks like it could use some additional support. Thanks again for the comments! I hope I responded correctly and both of you receive this.

So, this is after I took up the aluminum floor. I've already taken off the old angle brackets that were rusted and replaced with aluminum brackets that I cut from 1 1/4" x 1/16'' angled aluminum and used ss screws. I haven't been brave enough yet to teach myself how to braze aluminum...maybe one day. :? So my plan was to use the aluminum tubing as is and just add an elevated front deck behind the bow (and rear) and a rod locker on one side, then put the aluminum sheeting back down everywhere else. But then I realized that would not give me much depth for storage (only about 4-6" max). So, I've decided to raise the whole deck a little to give about 10" of storage depth in the back. (Just not sure about taking the deck all the way up to the edge of the boat) The front deck I add will have about 22-24" of depth for storage. I think I'm going to leave the rest of the floor low. Still measuring to try to decide where to place seats/steering console and maybe a portable live well (I usually catch and release). The pics were taken before I cleaned it out and now also have it under my carport. Any ideas, questions or thoughts of how anyone has done a similar boat are extremely welcomed. Thanks!

Fishin' Commish
I really need to work on getting a quote like all the cool people have! 8)

Attachments

• 20190624_172521.jpg
    20190624_172521.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 974
  • 20190624_172525.jpg
    20190624_172525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 974
  • 20190624_172505.jpg
    20190624_172505.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 974
That's a nice boat. Great classic lines... high gunnels... I really like that covered bow too. She's got plenty of potential right there... Just a neat classic design... really like it. Best of luck with your project...

Buzzbait said:
That's a nice boat. Great classic lines... high gunnels... I really like that covered bow too. She's got plenty of potential right there... Just a neat classic design... really like it. Best of luck with your project...
Thanks Buzzbait! This is all new to me as far as boat renovation...I'm trying to put as little wood in it as possible, but I'm not used to working with aluminum. I'll attach my drawing tonight, not quite done with the design, but open to any ideas.