Newbie ready to tackle his first rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbwalker

Reaction score
Just signed up today! I saw your site linked on another page and believe I have found the *exact* site I am looking for!

I recently purchased a 1969 14' Aerocraft Aluminum Boat for $225 (with a trailer in great condition). One heck of a deal if ya ask me.

I'll premise this with a few things. I am a techie by trade. I am, in no way, shape, or form a mechanically inclined person. If I cannot fix it with a screw, nail, duct tape, or a ram set, I am lost. I'd like to think I can do these things, but at my age (30) and this point in my life, I am comfortable saying no when I can't do something. lol

What I am looking to do is to simple in idea (I think). I'd like to deck out the boat and put a casting platform in the front.

There is, as you can see, a cover over the bow. Is this safe to remove?

Also, is there an easy way to deck it without having to introduce additional hole into the boat's floor? I'm not comfortable doing that...

I wish there was just a 'kit' I could buy. :p

Does everyone think I'd be better off just paying someone else to do it?

Attachments

• boat3_new.jpg
    boat3_new.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,486
First off.. Welcome Aboard!

I would not pay someone else to do it - learn something new and you'll be equipped to do it later if you ever buy another boat.

As far as attachments for a deck, you can have it fit tight enough to where you can make it removable. That's the way the platforms are in my jon, it also makes it easier for cleaning.

I would suggest keeping your deck in the front inline with the height of your front bench - that should keep you stable in the water to where you won't be sent flying over if you hook into the "big one" or put a trolling motor on the front.

I think you can safely remove that cover, but I'll let bassboy1 reference that... I think he has more experience with those types of boats.

I notice you didn't put in your profile where your from... so let us know - you never know, there may be a tinboater in your backyard that you don't know about and can help you with your build.

Welcome Aboard - remember this is just for fishing - so read through the mods, ask lots of questions (we love questions) post pics and we will get it done with you.

Start out with one simple task - like a small deck on the front and learn from there. You can add a deck from your bow to your 1st bench with just a few 2x2 pieces and some plywood. Oh yeah - do it in wood before you move up to metal!

:WELCOME:

Thanks for signing up.

You can do the mods yourself.There are no kits for any boats.Build your decks so they fit tight to the sides,don't forget to leave room to roll the carpet over the edge of the wood.You can also use carriage bolts and wing nuts to make the decks and floors easily removable.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

I would pay also. I don't want to hurt myself with tools. :LOL2:

Everything I ever tried to "fix" in life, I broke. Some people were meant to pay, I'm one of them. :mrgreen: