Newbie looking to start a conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCabMax

Reaction score
First off, i want to say this site is AMAZING! Its probably the worst thing that ever happend to my wallet! LOL I have a 14' 1956 Arkansas Travler Alum V bottom that i'm looking to start tinkering with. I picked it up pretty cheap, so i cant complain. I have already completly went through the trailer and painted and fixed everything on it. Now i'm looking to move on to the boat. I do a lot of fishing, but its also a duck hunting boat. So i dont think i'm going to go with raised casting decks. I would really just like to make a nice floor, with some storage and lighting. I would like to add a bow mount trolling motor also, so i think i'm going to raise the area between the front seat and the bow of the boat for storage and a trolling motor mount. Also, i was wondering if i would be able to take out the middle bench seat to open up the floor plan a little. It looks to me that the seat supports the gunnels, but is there a way i could add some braces from the floor to the gunnels to kind of take place of the seat? Looking make new benches, and add some extra seating. I'm also going to need to replace the transom. Its going to be outfitted with a 9.9 horse Merc with 15 horse conversion, so i want to make sure the transon is stout. Here are some pics, and i would appreciate ANY input you have! Like i said, i want to fish and hunt, so keep that in mind! Thanks a ton fella's!

Joe

Here's what the boat trailer looked like when i got it

100_0109.jpg

Here are some pics of the trailer stripped down and primered.

ARandFish013.jpg

ARandFish014.jpg

And finially here is the boat, setting on the finished trailer! Now its time for the boat work!!

NorthCarolina128.jpg

NorthCarolina129.jpg

NorthCarolina130.jpg

NorthCarolina131.jpg

NorthCarolina133.jpg

Anyone have any input on the center bench comming out?? I would really like to be able to take it out without destorting the boat. What would need to be done as far as bracing goes?? Anyone have any pictures of a similar process?? Thanks fella's!

my opinion, i would remove them. my boat already had them removed. i ran cut down 2x4s for my floor support that could attach to the cross braces for support. here is pic of my boat.

Attachments

• floor%20support.jpg
    floor%20support.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,096
how would the help support the sides of the boat, like the seat is doing? My only concern is that it will " swell " in and out in the middle of the boat if i remove the bench seat.

when you pull out the middle seat, the sides want flex out or in. this causes the boat to want to fold in half. the bracing (aluminum would have been better) is attatched to the front and rear benches and when finished, connected t the ribs. this should keep the boat from wanting to fold in half.