Muzzle Loader Forum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I missed that part in the requirements on the ignition source. Although I've only seen video of a wheel lock and have no clue what a matchlock is or how it differs from the others mentioned. I was thinking that all the older stuff was a larger caliber in most cases than the more modern stuff but I thought you might have some of the smaller caliber stuff that I read about being used for small game.

JMichael said:
Oh, I missed that part in the requirements on the ignition source. Although I've only seen video of a wheel lock and have no clue what a matchlock is or how it differs from the others mentioned.
The top photo is of an early 1600s matchlock I have - single shot. A length of burning match is paced into that jaw (serpentine) above the pan and when the trigger is pulled, it drops the burning match into the pan. You can't see it clearly, but there is a little sliding door over the pan that can swing to cover the pan - hence being a safety.

Some earlier matchlocks use a lever in place of a trigger. In tests, matchlocks fire off faster than the other later BP arm ignition types, like flint or percussion - instantaneous! They're a hoot to shoot!

The one below it, which must have been a feat of engineering and craftsmanship waaaay back then ... is a 6-shot revolving matchlock made for the King of France. It shows that even 400+ years ago ... people were thinking and wanted more firepower!

Attachments

• Revolving Matchlock2.jpg
    Revolving Matchlock2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • matchlock1.jpg
    matchlock1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,617
Jim said:
I have been bitten by the muzzle loading bug. I joined the frontier muzzloading forum and it is legit, Just passing it along to all you muzzle loaders out there. There is a wealth of knowledge there and it seems like a great group of folks like we have here. :beer:

Jim

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com

So, have you taken the final plunge yet and tried to sneak something into the house with a lampshade on it?
To warn you they are like potato chips.
But on the bright side, un like woman you can have more than one favorite and they don't get jealous. :roll:
If you can find a rendezvous in range check it out. Should be a local club with shoots too.

Jim said:
I might pick up a CVA Optima V2 50 all Black for $189 on Monday. Brand new, guy has 10 of them. Good deal?

https://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=578

I frog around with older styles so am not up to speed on the newer ones.
Patched roud ball in slower twist barrels, America under a younger sky stuff.
Nothing against newer versions.
Here in Mi. certain straight walled rifle cartridges are being allowed in the former shotgun zone but prior to that folks were wringing out the modern inline versions of front loaders with some impressive results.
Depends on what you want to use it for and what era appeals.

With a retail around 300 that's not bad at near a third less, though suggested retail firearm prices are suggested optimistically high in my opinion..
Blackhorn 209 powder users go with a different breech plug(blackthorn 209 QRBP) for about twenty bucks in the Optima. Not saying that would be your choice in powder but a note if you went that route. It has a bigger hole through it.
The CVA Optima V2 50 rifle has some reviews claiming good accuracy and I have not seen complaints on it in limited review.
It's price point affects it's make up, of course. And may be a lesser, not saying poorer version of another model.
An Accura V2 offers more but higher price. Don't quote me without research but different barrel manufacturer on the Accura, though the C.V.A. barrel on the Optima holds it's own just fine.
Trigger adjust-ability on the Optima not a feature but claims are it is a good one and not heavy anyway.
A life time warranty helps and C.V.A. has come a long ways and remains established.
for a modern piece and a brief look at prices you seem to have a good price.
A scope always going to figure alot in final price but sometimes those on a package deal get changed out due to quality or user preference anyway. A decent one ups the price and a poor one sully's the reputation.

I was originally going to go with the Accura....Buy once, cry once and be done with it. This will probably be a once in a lifetime purchase. Muzzle loader season is 2 weeks per year......Do I need to spend the extra money for the better rifle.....I don't know. :D

Jim, I bought a Remington 700, inline 50 cal black powder rifle several years back before all the fluted and stainless hype started. It was my first purchase of a black powder as I had borrowed a rifle to hunt with the previous 2 years. That was several years ago. I keep telling myself that I'm going to spring for the 209 conversion kit for it each year but I never do. I just keep on killing deer with it and it keeps on working. Yes, it would be nice to have one of those breakover, fluted barrel, stainless bla bla bla rifles, but when it comes right down to it, my rifle kills just as well as everyone else. It's my understanding that the reason for fluting a barrel is so that it cools off more/quicker between shots so that following shots are affected. Based on my experience, you ain't likely to have any problems in that area as the deer generally run away at the slightest sound (including misfires) and there's a better than avg chance they're gonna be long gone by the time the smoke clears. And the claims that those new guns can take deer out to 200 yard or farther, well that ain't gonna happen where I hunt because you can't see more than about 125 yards through the woods on the best day.

I have a traditions pursuit pro. have had it several years now. I love it! smooth light trigger, light gun, highly accurate. kinda like it more than my .270.

Another great forum for muzzleloaders is www.modernmuzzleloaders.com Lots of great people and knowledge.

If you guys have interest in muzzleloading check out dougsmessageboards.com. Probably the best muzzleloading info you can find. I am not a traditional guy, so I built a custom Remington 700 smokeless muzzleloader. It is essentially a legal rifle here in Illinois., fires a 275 gr bullet at 2750 for. No sabots, bullet and barrel are 45 cal and ride directly on the rifling. I killed a doe this year at 385 yds and have shot it out to 600 yds with .5 MOA accuracy. I am hooked!

Jim said:
I might pick up a CVA Optima V2 50 all Black for $189 on Monday. Brand new, guy has 10 of them. Good deal?

https://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=578

I have a first generation CVA Optima in .45 cal w 26" barrel. It is a great rifle that is very accurate. The new Optimas are even better w the triggers and the scope mounts, very nice.

The smokeless realm is still sort of taboo to some muzzleloading guys. However with the custom aftermarket barrels and with proper safety percautions they can be extremely accurate and a whole bunch of fun! Here's a pic of the monster doe I shot last yearly 385. She had zero teeth left in her head. Also the exit wound! Wicked!!

Just got a new CVA accura mountain rifle w the nitride barrel, will report back w my impressions after sighting it in.

I like the traditional muzzleloaders. I have a Kentucky percussion kit gun in .45cal and a 50cal Thompson Hawkins. Both shoot very good and straight. No complaints. I also like the accessories and leathers that go along with them. I don't know of any clubs in the area but hope to find one soon. Last fall I bought a Raccoon cap and I slept in it all winter and early spring. It felt good since my hair is thinning. Hair on my face and a coonskin cap. What more could ask fore?

Latest posts