Green Chile

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fool4fish1226

Reaction score
Made some green chile for the first time yesterday and it turned out pretty dang good. Anyone else make green chile would like to here your takes on it. sorry no pics this time :beer:

I normally make green chile a couple of times a month - been a little lacking lately waiting on first pick for a road trip to Hatch (NM). The secret to good green chile is to use ONLY New Mexico peppers. Mesilla Valley (Las Cruces) peppers are a little hotter, but don't have quite as good of a flavor as Hatch.

I love early fall in Arizona and New Mexico - can't go wrong with the smell of chiles roasting!!

Gents,

Would you care to share your green chili recipes? = I have some great red chili recipes, that I'll share if you wish.
(including the original San Antonio Chili Queens 1830's recipe.)

"TEXAS RED" chili was developed in the early 1830s to feed the many unmarried men, who gathered in San Antonio BEFORE our 1835-36 revolution to acquire free land.
The Chili Queens took a Comanche stew made from peppers, meat, water and herbs (what later was called "chili powder") and made a NEW & quite DIFFERENT dish.

"Texas Red" was cooked/served from huge caldrons on The Plaza with tortillas, beans, sliced onions and sometimes tomatoes.
With a beverage & a piece of fruit or pastry, it made a meal that was filling, reasonably nutritious and most important, CHEAP.
Note: Some period memoirs indicate that IF a man brought his own bowl & spoon that the price for a meal was "discounted".

yours, satx

My basic crock pot green recipe is as follows:

Cook 2lb or so round roast with onion, a little garlic salt and a dash of black pepper until roast is starting to shred.

Drain off the liquid and add a can of crushed tomatoes (I prefer Hunt's) and a pound or so of roasted "medium" chiles (10-12 large whole chiles). Sometimes I'll add one or two "hot" chiles into the mix or "gringo it down" with some mild chiles depending on whom I'm cooking for.

Keep it at a simmer for 2-3 hours, get some flour tortillas and shredded longhorn cheese and roll some of the best burros you've ever tasted! (Regional dialect alert: Burritos and burros are the same thing, with burrito being the anglicized version).

I've gotten now where I prefer to roast them myself on the smoker over mesquite. It draws out a little more flavor than the more typical propane fired roasters.

Here is one I like, however I never follow directions completely to the T

INGREDIENTS
1 lb pork shoulder roast, cut into one-inch cubes
4 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons jalapeños, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken or pork broth
2 cups roasted and peeled green chilies, obtained from 18 -20 Anaheim, California or poblano chiles 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt

Roast the chilies: Turn your broiler on to high. Begin by placing half of the fresh green chilies on a cookie sheet and placing them under your preheated broiler for 5 minutes, or until the chilies are charred on one side. Remove the pan from the oven and flip chilies to char their underside, about another 5 minutes. Remove chilies from the oven to a brown paper bag and close tightly to allow the skin to steam away from the flesh. Repeat with the remaining chilies.
Once the all the chiles have cooled, remove them from the paper bag and stem the chilies, removing the charred skin and seeds.
Place the cleaned, roasted chile flesh to a bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until you have reached your desired texture. Set roasted chiles aside.
Brown the Pork: Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. Lightly season the cubes of pork with salt and add them to the pot, cooking until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Once browned, remove pork from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off any excess fat, leaving 1/4 cup remaining.
Make the green chili: Add the onions, jalapeños and garlic to the remaining oil in the pot. Cover and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to sweat the onions. Check halfway to make sure they are not browning.
Raise the heat to medium and stir in the flour, cumin and black pepper, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes to cook the rawness out of the flour and scrape up any browned bits. When the onion and flour mixture just begin to color, remove the pot from the heat and gradually pour in the broth, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps.
Return the pork to the pot along with the roasted chilies, oregano and salt. Place the pot back over moderate heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit and the pork is tender. Make sure to stir the sauce occasionally while simmering.
The finished sauce should be thick enough to nap a spoon. If it’s too thick, thin with a bit of extra broth.
Serve with warm flour tortillas.

fool4fish1226,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I'm going to try both recipes that ya'll posted here. - I'll use the members of our local service club for "guinea pigs" & "taste testers".
(CHUCKLE.)

yours, tex

A handy little trick for roasting chiles:

As soon as they are removed from the fire (or oven), put them in sealed plastic bags (5 or 6 to a bag) and let them cool. After they've cooled off in the bags, the skin comes off with barely any effort. Once they are peeled, put any that you aren't going to use immediately in vacuum seal bags (I really like the cheap Ziploc ones) and put them in the freezer.

Another tip for roasting time:

Take a chile straight off the fire, peel it and throw it on a tortilla with a slab of cheese - it's like a cross between a chile relleno and a really good quesadilla. This has always been a tradition at our family roasts, and is something everyone should experience IMO.

I freeze my New Mexico Green Chile peppers with the skin still on. Years ago I used to remove it first, but got lazy once. Found it help prevent freezer burn so I now freeze them all skin on. I do 70 lbs or so a year.

Will be getting my Green Chile shipped to me on September 8th. I buy it from Diaz Farms in Deming, NM. https://diazfarms.com/

Latest posts