1989 bass tracker pro 17 rebuild - livewell question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my 1/8" aluminum at a scrap yard. It was 4'x6' and I think they charged me about $50 tax and all. I can't remember really because I bought it originally for another project I was doing a couple of years ago and then wound up using something else and just held on to this. I'm glad I did because they would've never given me all my money back at the scrap yard and it's gonna come in handy for my new project. If there isn't a scrap yard close to ya that has any check for some metal suppliers close by or on-line. Most suppliers though sell it in 4'x8' sheets and if you want it cut to size then they charge extra for that.

Also if the latch is dropping down then it should hold your motor when your in the water in reverse. The spring you're talking about could be weak but I'd test it on the water first before I bought any parts or replaced anything.

I'll do some checking around for that sheet aluminum I think that's a whole lot better of a solution to that flimsy stuff without a doubt. im looking into getting those bolts you recommended today and just ordered all my new thru hull fittings last night from perko so maybe this weekend I can get rolling on buttoning up the back end and maybe even get some foam cut to size to put in those small areas in the bilge area. If I luck up on that aluminum ill do some cutting and get that all put into place and take it from there. As always ill try to put some pics up as I go :)

Managed to squeeze in a bit of work on a few small pieces for the bilge area today...just biding my down time at work and was able to get these pieces cleaned up and asthetically in better shape. Tackled some work on the wiring harness as well seeing as how the previous owner decided they would hack it all to pieces lol.

Attachments

• bilge trim 2.jpg
    bilge trim 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • bilge trim 3.jpg
    bilge trim 3.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 1,002
  • bilge trim.jpg
    bilge trim.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • bilge vent.jpg
    bilge vent.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,002
More plasti-dip I see. Things are looking pretty good. I have to build my own wiring harness. The mess that was in this one had to go. I've done them before though so it's no biggie. My main thing right now is the weather. It's got to warm up some before I can start working with epoxy and glass cloth.

yea the weather is cold and nasty here as well. I mainly did these pieces just to have something to keep me busy and working on something at least. I finished cleaning up my wiring harness last night its certainly in a lot better shape than it was in. I do dred doing the console though....I have the factory wiring diagram to go by but the console looks like its going to be a whole new challenge in itself...honestly id like to replace the fiberglass/ plastic console with a new one but seeing as how the wiring is already a birds nest due to the last owner I don't know that swapping everything over to a new console would be so easy. if you have any advice on that id sure like to hear some ideas lol

If your going to use existing gauges and switches best thing you can do is check all terminal ends and connections and make sure they are clean. No corrosion= less headaches. After taking apart, inspecting, and cleaning your connections apply some dielectric grease(buy it at any auto parts store) to them to prevent future corrosion problems. Also if you have a fuse panel inspect it as well and if the fuses are fairly old I'd consider replacing them all and apply some dielectric grease to them as well. When I build my own harness I usually crimp and solder my terminal ends and then put heat shrink tubing around them. If I use any type of splice connector say for multiple interior lights on one switch I'll coat those things in "Liquid Electrical Tape"(several places to buy this) Once it dries it turns into a rubbery type coating and seals really well. Also when I say "I build my own wiring harness" I'm talking about the harness for the bilge pumps, livewell pumps, interior/exterior lights, anchor/nav. lts., trolling motor wiring, etc. Talking about the console I decided to replace mine because the original was broken where the previous owner had fell on it. So therefore I decided to replace the old and just redo everything. Hopefully some of these ideas will help. Also here's a link to a marine wiring color code. You can find several of these on line. https://www.boatingmag.com/blogs/diy/abyc-color-codes-boat-wiring

Thanks for the info on the console! Despite it being a pain in the neck I think it would benefit from updated gauges and some new switches haha those things have seen better days. I had a little time to put in this weekend and got a few small things done in the bilge area....im not coming up with any luck looking for that 1/8th aluminum however, every thing I run across that is big enough is in the neighborhood of $200 and I just cant do that kind of money for a sheet of aluminum. Maybe I can keep looking of try to find another solution but it is a really good idea and would definitely benefit from not having the new pour in foam clogging up those ribs in the bottom of the boat. ill post a few pics on here just to have an idea of what ive been able to accomplish this weekend.

Attachments

• bilge pump.jpg
    bilge pump.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 958
  • bilge test.jpg
    bilge test.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 958
  • livewell.jpg
    livewell.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 958
  • live well drain.jpg
    live well drain.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 958
If you cant find 1/8" alum. sheet big enuf for the right price maybe just find some thin alum. sheet you could rivet in place on the inside of the 2 flotation boxes to keep the foam pour from running into the lower areas.

that's kind of the route I kind of decided to go myself even before your suggestion. something will be a whole lot better than nothing that's for sure. none the less I appreciate the idea there. I took my measurements for the area I need to cover....ill probably try to clean up and make the existing sheet look a bit better and straighten some bent portions then fill in around it to prevent that pour from reaching the bottom

Hey how's it going? Any updates on the boat? I was gone for a while where I started my vacation. I have to use up all the vacation I have left before I retire on April 11th or I lose it. I went and visited a few people I haven't seen for a while. It's finally starting to warm up some here in the mountains so I'm hoping to get started on my project soon. Although this coming Monday-Wednesday the weather is supposed to be fantastic and I'm thinking of spending all 3 days trout fishing. :) That's just some of the rough decisions us retired guys have to make. :lol: Anyways hope your project is coming along OK. Once I get started on mine I'll post some pics.

Hope the vacation went well and glad to hear some fishing weather is starting to become available! I have since been able to find me some aluminum to lay down in the back of the boat rear deck area like we spoke about, went with 1/16 inch and I gotta say I think its gonna serve its purpose just fine. I have it trimmed down to size and the last thing I did physically on the boat lately is test float it. I found about 3 leaks and currently im waiting for a compressor I ordered to get here so I can use some walnut shells in my abrasive blaster and clean up the floor of the boat so I can lay down some gluv it and try to take care of those leaks now while everything is torn apart. Other than that I had to take some time this weekend to get some fishing in myself lol! got a small largemouth to kick the season off with and I cant complain that's sure better than getting skunked all weekend. Ready to get this boat back to its glory days and put some better fish in bragging rights pile haha!

Hey man glad to hear you found some metal. Good deal. I'm officially retired and have decided to fix up my 14' john boat first and then repair my Tracker. The frickin weather has been so crazy that I still haven't been able to work with the epoxy resins and cloth like I want to. My 14' project isn't going to be that bad so I thought I'd do it first. keep me posted on how the Tracker is going though and if I can be of any help just PM me. I'll be checking in on the web-site a little more often now that I'm retired. That is until I get the boats finished and start fishing. :lol:

hey man awesome deal on the retirement fishinfool enjoy it you've earned that right for sure. im just a young fella starin down the barrel of 23 lol but I try to pay my dues none the less. I appreciate the help you all have already given me. I had some leaking rivets so I laid down a can of gluv it on them I could have replaced them all but hell the boat is almost 20 years old so im trying to let the ole gal see the water again without costing myself a 2 year build here lol. im gonna do some work tomorrow on her im ready to rebuild the back deck and start ordering carpet and get some new floors cut and prepped im pretty impressed really I think everything is going pretty well considering I have little time to put the ole elbow grease to work with it. ill check in more often now that I know you have some more time on your hands til fishing warms up but get out there and have some fun! ill take a pic or two of the next good catch you run into :) take it easy man and enjoy the day on the water when you get the chance ps huntinfool I appreciate the compliment ive sure put some effort into it but not quite seeing the light at the end of the tunnel just yet lol

25 years old on the boat haha my fault I was having a brain fart kinda moment point is she isn't exactly a spring chicken lol

Certainly was able to get some valuable time in on the boat today. got my rear deck almost assembled completely aside from the main cap on the front and one cross member in the center where the rear seat mounts. All in all im glad with the progress and I feel like it was a good days work! ill post some pics so you all can maybe give some input on what you think.

Attachments

• rear deck 2.jpg
    rear deck 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 557
  • rear deck 1.jpg
    rear deck 1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 557
  • rear deck 3.jpg
    rear deck 3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 557
  • rear deck 4.jpg
    rear deck 4.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 557
I see you found some metal to go in the bilge area under those flotation boxes to keep the foam out of the drainage runs. And your metal in the battery and gas tank area is in a heck of a lot better shape than mine. Mine looks like a herd of elephants were jumping up and down on it. Glad to see you're making progress.

yea I put that metal down in the bilge man and I tried to clean all the panels up some. it isn't perfect by any means but its better than it was and itll have new foam to boot. hope that coat of gluv it does me right and keeps her dry for the most part. im proud of whats been done no doubt its been a taxing job to say the least lol. stay posted fellas I plan to post more progress as soon as I can!

quick question for you guys as I approach finishing up that rear deck...I may have already asked I cant remember but here goes. Personal opinion what density of foam would you recommend to fill the void in those rear compartments under the aluminum? I believe the way I've figured the volume I could buy one kit of the 2lb and do both sides in one shot if not I have to buy two kits of the 4lb and that's gonna be double the cash as the stuff is not cheap anyways. just trying to gather some input before I go and spend the money thanks !

Because that supports the deck and provides strength to the build I'd say you should use 4 lb at least. Especially if your fishin partner is a big ol boy walking around on that back deck. :lol: