STUCK Seat pedestal! help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basslipripper

Reaction score
Hey guys my seat pedestals on my Bass Tracker Pro team are stuck. Any tricks or tips. Im to the point of drilling holes through the pedestals and running a big bolt though them and using two small bottle jacks on each side and pushing them off.... They have never been off. Although I thought I got one out, when I first bought the boat a few years ago.
But that was between years of storage while I was working overseas... Now they are both stuck sump-tin surious...

Certainly should spray some liquid wrench or wd40 or such stuff down there. An auto store could give you a good idea what will remove corrosion well. Maybe try twisting them a little too. I think some pedestals have big nylon screws at the bottom, so try turning it "out" a little.

I soaked them im PB blaster and put a pipe wrench on them and can barely turn them with all of my 250lbs of rear end. I could cut the carpet and just unbolt them and install new bases but Id hate to do it that way.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350060#p350060 said:
basslipripper » Yesterday, 22:20[/url]"]I soaked them im PB blaster and put a pipe wrench on them and can barely turn them with all of my 250lbs of rear end. I could cut the carpet and just unbolt them and install new bases but Id hate to do it that way.
i'd just plan on replacing them. if the old ones are corroded and seized up as bad as you are saying, they'll never work smoothly again.

Yep gonna have to replace the base.. Bent a punch. Oh well, I was planning on recarpeting the boat next year anyway. Guess they wait [/attachment]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398440837.271207.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398440871.305271.jpg
ena6ahap.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398440827.088079.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398440827.088079.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,649
Could those be 3/4 pin bases with a screw lock? Did you try twisting the pedestal counter-clockwise with the pipe wrench? Many times applying heat will help break things loose also.

yeah thats the plan if you didnt read all of the posts. I will replace them this winter when i recarpet the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350123#p350123 said:
muskiemike12 » 57 minutes ago[/url]"]Oh and shame on Tracker for not using stainless steel bases!
stainless would be potentially even worse if a little grit got up in there. stainless galls like a MFer. if a 3/4 machine thread galled up it would be in there for good.

so it looks like it is a threaded base... you can spray some penetrating oil on the bottom and let it sit then add more oil if given time it will work also take your pipe wrench and a hammer and hit the wrench so that it tightens the post then hit the other way to loosen it that will work about 75% of the time the key s penetrating oil wd40 may not cut the rust