Aluminum Depth vs Plastic Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelman1963

Reaction score
Hello all. Currently I have a 10 ft Bass Hunter plastic boat and have had it for many years. I have the opportunity to get a Lowes 1448 aluminum jon boat for a good price. I am wondering how deep the Lowes will set in the water compared to the Bass Hunter. I fish VERY shallow a lot of the time. I am wanting to get the Lowes jon and do a partial conversion with aluminum bracing instead of wood to keep the weight down.
Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There's a lot of information that you leave out of your question that would have a huge affect on the static depth that your 1448 will draw, for instance: your load which includes motor, gear etc. and you don't define what you consider to be "very shallow".

So, as an illustration: my 1448 Lowe is equipped with a 215 lb 40/30 outboard jet, a forward console and remote steering, a 12 gallon gas tank and two full size batteries, a trolling motor and I run it with two close-to 200 lb adults. I can run this at wide open throttle in 6 inches of water or less, but if I get off plane the stern will sit in the gravel in that same water. Floating depth is approximately close to 12 inches give or take but since the boat wants to dig in deeper while taking off from a stop and getting on plane, I need probably 18" to 24" of water or I start sucking gravel.

With that in mind tell us what you plan to do with that boat and we can be of more help.

Sorry about leaving that info out. As far as use I fish exclusively in electric motor only waters so no gas outboard or gas can in boat. Two adults total around 425 lbs. Basic gear couple rods each one small box one medium box.Converting over to partial deck in front. 1 battery. That's pretty much it. Thanks for the help.

welcome to da pond !!

boating comes with a set of rules - - -
most are just plain common sense.
the rest comes with boating experience.

#1. if you are in a electric only lake, in a tin boat,
in shallow water, and you run aground, back up.
continue fishing.

you will be very happy with a 12-14' x 36 or 48 wide aluminum
flat bottom without doing anything to it. (at first).
put down some old carpet just to keep the noise down until
you use it for awhile - making notes as you go.

it will be like going from a Volkswagen Bug into a Dodge Ram Van.

Thanks so much for the info. Years ago (many) I had a 12 foot probably a 32 or 36 wide and we fished it constantly in the same waters. Then my brother and I went to the plastic Bass Hunter and thought we went to bass fishing heaven and don't get me wrong we love this little boat but after running aground several times and patching the same hole 4 times I thought hey why not give a jon boat with a conversion a try. We have 0 wake where we fish mostly stumps and submerged structure, weed beds etc. I do not need a large bass boat but I do like the looks of one with decking and storage etc which is what brought me to this forum. I have been suring this site looking for ideas on how to convert this 1448 and have gotten some great ideas. One question I do have is probably 75% of the time I will be in a sitting position and if I do stand up it will be for a short period of time. The 1448 should be fairly stable when I stand correct? I mean I do not plan on jumping or dancing when in the standing position. Well maybe dancing a little when that 10 lb bass gets on board lol.

Steel,

The 1448 is a very stable platform. You'll love it!! I think my 1448 could sit in 6-8" of water.

Bear something in mind as you're doing your "conversion". The more storage you add the more crap you carry, the heavier the boat gets, it's a never ending circle.
With the exception of safety equipment and the bare minimum of repair materials if I haven't used it in the last 3 trips then I really don't need it.

Thanks so very much everyone. As far as the extra junk I see how that could be a problem. One good thing is I fish exclusively within 15 miles of home so if I have trouble I will just call it a day. Has anyone used a foot operated trolling motor on one of these and can you operate it fairly well from a sitting position?

Steelman1963 said:
Thanks so very much everyone. As far as the extra junk I see how that could be a problem. One good thing is I fish exclusively within 15 miles of home so if I have trouble I will just call it a day. Has anyone used a foot operated trolling motor on one of these and can you operate it fairly well from a sitting position?

there are a few different types of foot controlled motors.

I have a Minn Kota Power Drive, its easy to control from sitting anywhere in the boat since it has a long wire connecting it.

The other type is a cable drive, those you have to be pretty close to the motor, I have never used one and don't know how they would be sitting

But some prefer them because they say the control is more precise.

Enjoyed by reading your post here. Also got few useful information from here. Basically I like both plastic and almunium. But I prefer plastic like because of its weightless.

Latest posts