Boat Keel Leaks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
I've got a 1959 Alumacraft Deep C. I've noticed I have a small leak somewhere along the centerline of the boat.

Trouble is I can't find it. I've filled the boat with a few inches of water, but no water shows on the outside of the boat. The only place that shows water is on the back end of the keel molding (right under the transom) there is a small pee hole that dribbles.

Apparently there is some leakage along this keel line, but not enough to overflow it. The water is simply running down the keel molding like a gutter...

Any ideas how to find and eliminate this leak would be appreciated..

I figured that would only fill up the gutter and not show me exactly where the leak is... but I guess I could angle the boat and hope that it only goes as high as the leak...

I'm a little unclear how boats are constructed on that area... is there a void within that molding that was sealed with some kind of compound ? I wonder if anyone has tried drilling small holes and injecting epoxy ?

I found my leaks but you need to put more than a couple of inches in or the pressure won't be high enough to show where it is leaking. it is different than when the boat is in the water. Ingress is a lot easier. I found Amazing Goop Coat-It solved all my leakage problems.

Here's an image of the gutter. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this is constructed inside ? Is it simply a void that I could drill a small hole in and shoot with expanding foam sealant or gluvit ? I'm trying to avoid coating the outside or inside seams since I've gone to some effort to make the boat look like new.....
IMG_0719.JPG

I can't find any rivets along it that are obvious leakers. I think it might just be the fact that it's seeping in along it's entire length.

Take some THIN CA glue and wick some into every rivet along the keel. See if that works. By far that is the easiest method of sealing a rivet. Try from the bottom of the hull first. Inside next if that does not cure it. Hull should be bone dry and the warmer the better before you try it.

Shaugh said:
Is it simply a void that I could drill a small hole in and shoot with expanding foam sealant or gluvit?
It is a void, but if you fill it and didn't close the holes, water could get in, saturate the foam and then break more rivets or cause more damage if it is exposed to cold temperatures and the boat freezes. On most boats, there is a large 'weep' hole on the end of the keel or even an added chine; just for this purpose.

I myself would use West Systems G-flex 650 epoxy, as it is flexible. I can buy the kit for < $20 near me, so to me it was a no brainer! It also wicks in like Pappy says.

Here's a post on how to do it: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954

Dale,
I guess I'll go that route. I've never worked with G-flex. Do you think these syringes would work to inject a bead along the edges ? Not sure how thick it is..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Glue-Syringe-3-ml-Applicators-with-16-ga-Tips-Caps-Crafts-Free-Shipping-/252360103114?hash=item3ac1d594ca:g:pYQAAOSw-tNXHodi

IMG_20170124_102607.jpgIMG_20170124_102620.jpgGoop Coat-it is transparent but a kind of grey-brown colour. It will also wick into the rivets and along the keel from above or below. It is also flexible. I painted this on rather thickly with a roller(two coats and the lines you see are from the slit foam roller.) Used more thinly it is a lot more transparent.

Latest posts