Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Well I figure its about time I start a mod thread. Its a 1648 Fisher (even though it has tracker stickers), with a 40 HP mariner. Both are from '93.

Came with a ton of extras, like an older minnkota TM (works awesome, but only a 36 lb thrust), 2 cabelas AGM batteries, a minnkota deckhand electric anchor winch, a cover and motor cover, transom saver, flush mount, solar charger,and some stuff for docking it. He forgot to give me the book he had for the motor, so he took the liberty of mailing it to me for free. The guy was great to deal with, and I was happy to give him 1500.

I'm in the planning stage, and I'm saving up money for the project (plus it gives me an excuse to fish the remainder of the summer, and gut the boat later). I'll post up some of my ideas here in a few, and you guys can chime in. For now, here are some pictures.

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 18,125
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 18,125
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 18,125
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 18,125
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18,125
heres two of the originals from the CL ad. The lake it was stored in (this past year only) was a MESS, and I'm still struggling to find something that will take the grime off. luckily, its a tan boat. I'm not sure if a good power washer would do the trick, but I do have access to one if I want to drive 45 mins to use it. Elbow grease and bleach hasn't made a dent in it. I made the mistake of trying a metal scraper, and I said bye bye to a nice chunk of paint #-o

Attachments

• full1.jpg
    full1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 18,083
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 18,083
I bought a livewell from fishmatepro.com because they are having a decent sale. decided I'd really like to have a quaility livewell, considering its going to be steped on everytime I get on the front deck...

I got the 32x12x10 with two doors and a separator. Its only 16.6 gallons, but hoefully it'll get the job done for the occasional tournament.

heres a link..put out 271 for it...
https://fishmatepro.com/Livewells/ProBass32.aspx

Heres a basic idea of he front deck. Im going to rebuild the existing floor with a thinner plywood, to create dry storage, and a flat surface for mounting 2x2 supports. I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, so I'm going to play around with the ideas a little more once I start tearing it apart.

I might end up putting the 2x2s directly into the bottom ribs, and then putting small floor pieces inside each storage spot to keep weight down.

The blue part is where the livewell will go, the black rectangle infront of it will be a dry storage spot for my TM battery. The small black square roughly in the middle of the deck will be where the seat will be mounted, and the two side rectangles will be dry storage for life jackets and tackle.

The red outline is the actual deck, and may or may not go under the console. The way it is set up now, it puts the console at a very slight angle (because it was originally attached to the bench) and its enough to drive me nuts.

Attachments

• decking1.JPG
    decking1.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 18,080
I guess its about time for some updates, because I start next weekend. After a long wait and a TON of hassle with fishmatepro, they sent me whatever livewell they had lying around.

I ended up with a 30" with diamond plate, as opposed to the 32" with two regular aluminum doors. And a missing fish separator. Thanks for nothing Dan Howell. :evil:

Anywho, this is what I have so far:
Livewell, pumps, spray head, hoses, thru-hulls. Also got a great deal on lights from bluewaterled.
45lb Minn Kota Edge, got it for a steal from BPS off season
Humminbird matrix 35 fishfinder, bought from bugpac
Recessed cup holders and hatch tabs
new bilge pump
6 feet of continuous piano hinge, going to be cut to size
couple stacks of simpsons strong ties
2 other bright led lights, compliments of bluewaterled
New bow light
trolling motor plug
a stringray hydrofoil (which is being returned tomorrow morning) because I'm buying trim tabs instead
2 new seat bases
Switch panel with 5 switches and a 12v accessory port
and some other odds and ends

I still have to buy:
Speedometer and tachometer
Front color fish finder

a ton of 2x2s and 3/4" and 1/2" ply wood
thompsons water seal
more strong ties
all the screws for the build
carpet and carpet glue
staples

14 gauge wire for the pumps
16 gauge wire for the lights
shrink wrap for the wires

and a 1 1/16" hole saw for the 3/4" thru-hull fittings
an 11/16" hole saw for the spray nozzel (if anyone knows where I can find these cheap, please let me know!!)

Once the weather warms up I'll also be needing a camo stencil, which is in the works, and some self etching primer and nonslip paint.

The motor is also going to get some work done, with a complete carb rebuild, and new waterpump and seals. Once everything else is done, I'm going to figure out what new prop I'll need to get this thing back up to speed.

=D> It's about time you updated this thread. I read your other build thread yesterday, and wondered where the 1648 was that you had in your sig line.

I have a lot of plans (and work to do) for this mod. Its geared toward bass fishing.

I plan to put a couple flotation boxes in the rear, because I don't need the space all that bad, and its a good insurance policy.

Heres a paint rendition of what my plans are. The dimensions are a little off because I took a pic from a grizzly and made it look similar to mine.

Keep in mind that running under the livewell and 4 hatches there will be 1/2 ply wood, to keep it true "dry storage". The two hatches next to the livewell are just there so I can access the pumps and hoses with ease.

I'm staying with the current console set up, keeping it on top of the bench. I don't need all that deck space, so putting the console on top of it frees up a lot of space else where. I'll be making my own console out of plywood, but for now I just put a stock console in the pic.

Key:
Red lines are 2x2s
Yellow boxes are storage hatches
Blue box is the livewell
Big black boxes are stock benches (can't be removed)
Brown box is a recessed trolling motor hole
purple boxes are flotation boxes (under the deck)
Tan boxes are walls of cockpit

Starting battery and accessory battery with by stored in the two rear hatches behind the seats. The trolling motor battery will be stored in the left front hatch, in front of the livewell. I'm hoping this will keep the boat pretty well balanced.

I forgot to put the other pedestal mount in the blue print. There will be another one right on the edge of the rear deck on the same set of 2x2s so that I can put a 3rd seat between and behind the two cockpit seats for a 3rd person.

Attachments

• possibility 2.JPG
    possibility 2.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 17,839
By the way, can one of the mods please move this to the conversions section. This thread was made before the conversions section was in existence :lol:

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your hassles with the live well. Be sure to send a link to this thread to them. With customer service like that, maybe you got what they have left because they are about to close their doors.

Your plans look really good. I have a 1448 still cant decide what I want. You have a great start. Are you going to deck it a couple inches below the front deck and deck it on the two by twos on the second seat? Will this make it level while in the water?

Henry Hefner said:
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your hassles with the live well. Be sure to send a link to this thread to them. With customer service like that, maybe you got what they have left because they are about to close their doors.

Pretty sure Russ has a nightmare story of his own from this company.

Unfortunately, its the opposite. They worked out a deal with cabelas, so they were flooded with orders.

The owner really doesn't give a crap about customer service. I emailed daily, and got blown off. Called daily, and got blown off. They must have a list of excuses 10 miles long.

In the end, I ended up with the wrong size livewell, with only one door instead of two, with diamond plate on top (with a big scratch across it) instead of flat aluminum, and no fish separator, which I paid extra for. Not to mention it took almost 6 months to get this, and it wasn't even a custom order!

And you're right Brine, Russ is still waiting for his, and he ordered before me!

mangelcc said:
Your plans look really good. I have a 1448 still cant decide what I want. You have a great start. Are you going to deck it a couple inches below the front deck and deck it on the two by twos on the second seat? Will this make it level while in the water?

yes, the deck will be a little lower than the front deck. I'm not sure if it will be level with the water considering the amount of weight being added and moved around, but it will be level with the front bench, which is a good enough square for me :lol:

Heres some pics of the stuff I've accumulated over the winter for this mod 8) :

Attachments

• img468.jpg
    img468.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img467.jpg
    img467.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img466.jpg
    img466.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img465.jpg
    img465.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img464.jpg
    img464.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img463.jpg
    img463.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img461.jpg
    img461.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img460.jpg
    img460.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 13,365
  • img459.jpg
    img459.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 13,365
It looks like you have a great start. I like that live well that you have. Your going to have an awesome boat when you get finished.

I'm not a fan of diamond plate. Otherwise, its okay. I sure hope it doesn't leak, cause something tells me their customer service department wouldn't be offering to fix it for me :|