Hello~ been here a while reading need to ask now :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmess

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive said hi once or twice and made a few comments but haven't really had to ask much with all the information already here! I saw 1 or two post on a topic i wanted to ask about.

I have a 12' flat aluminum jon
I cant remember the width but i know its >=28 been a while. Well i was thinkg about how unsterdy its going to want to be if i deck it out and have 2 people on it.

I saw a post or 2 about stabilizers. I'm thinking building arms that would be mounted about center of the boat. Thinking of some kind of hinge there at the mount so the arms could swing. Bringing the PVC made pontoons from the front up out of the water when driving or putting on trailer. then when fishing swing them out and lock them. I figure the hinge could simply be at an angle so they will come up out of the water when not in use.

Any thoughts or ideas. just brain storming now. I'm also considering the arms to be aluminum.
anyone else tried something here?

Hey ryanmess. Welcome to TinBoats.

28" is awful small. I too haven't seen many people use the stabilizers, but I think that's for good reason. Fishing + Obstructions sticking out from boat = #-o .

I have a hard enough time keeping fish out of trolling motors. Maybe if you're standing, they don't get in the way so much, but I can't imagine decking a boat that narrow with 2 people standing comfortably.

There are several companies that make the stabilizers, and I think one of the members purchased theirs from Cabela's.

It seems to me that the stabilizer could be adjustable in terms of how far it sticks out from the boat by simpy using two pices of tubing (1 that fits inside the other) and while in tow, you could just adjust them against the side of the boat, if you didn't want to remove them.

Good luck, and again..... :WELCOME:

I think Brine is right on all counts. If you do go ahead with the outrigger(s), you also need to make sure you can deploy them by yourself from inside the boat. Otherwise you'll have to motor with them in place which will really cut down on your speed/power. If you do motor with them in place you'll have to angle the forward end like a pontoon float so they'll cut through the water. If you made them as Brine suggests with two aluminum square tubes - one fitting into the other - you could slide them to the sides of the boat, allowing you to adjust the height of the outrigger. I think it's going to be hard to move them in and out smoothly without any binding. Your beam is probably only about 40" so remember that unless you off-set the arms for the outriggers, you'll only be able to extend the arms out about half the beam width, or about 20". I fear by the time you buy the aluminum and large PVC pipes you'll have spent enough to buy a wider boat (unless you have the materials already). It's a fun problem and a cool idea. I hope you will post pics if you decide to go ahead with the project.

outrigger.jpg